Question
Asked 5th Feb, 2018

What benefits can I gain if my name is acknowledged in a scientific paper? does writing an acknowledgement in my CV have any advantages?

We know that an acknowledgement in a paper doesn't increase your publication. Also, I can't find any advantage for it.

Jean-Marc Retrouvey
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Thanks. i was actually not happy with the author as my contribution was very significant. That is life I guess.

Popular answers (1)

On the contrary, for those who are specialized in the topic or topics of the paper, having your name mentioned in the Acknowledgment will enhance your stature among the experts in these topics.
You could mention something in your CV. If the author of a paper discussed with you some topics in the paper and acknowledged you, then you could say that you had some discussions with the author of the paper which inspired him/her to finish the paper " ...". in the journal "..."
Farid

Subir Bandyopadhyay
Botanical Survey of India
To me it is a personal satisfaction by providing help to others. One should not expect anything in return by helping others, especially authorship. So many specialists helped me in my research work from all over the world and no one asked for authorship. However, there are exceptions too. A renowned world expert on Pteridophytes working in this region is very helpful to others but loses his temper if authorship is denied even politely.
Farid
Honar Safar Mahdi
Newcastle University
Dear Ms. Rokia Sakr
this is a good site to see your answer
Elangbam Chitra Devi
Manipur University
I think yes, it reflects your skills and expertise.
Best wishes
Chitra
Jack Son
V.O.Chidambaram College, Tuticorin
It will give a wide reach about your research in the research community.
Asit Kumar Batabyal
Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute
The acknowledgment (in research publication) is a formal statement that recognizes individuals and institutions who contributed to the research work (in addition, the financial support of the research is always acknowledged).
Besides a courtesy, the acknowledgement has the following impacts:
  • It maintains an environment of research collaboration,
  • It shows the expertise of the researcher (who is acknowledged) related to research presented in the paper. This in turn adds credit in the professional career of the researcher,
  • The acknowledged researcher gets an identification among the researchers in his/her field which may open new path of research collaboration
Regards
Shibabrata Pattanayak
Government of West Bengal
Acknowledgement is like thanks.
It has no other value.
Adriana Santos-Caballero
University of Barcelona
I agree with you Dibakar Pal.
Regards!
Aristidis Matsoukis
Agricultural University of Athens Greece
What benefits can I gain if my name is acknowledged in a scientific paper? Personally, I haven't seen any benefit from such acknowledgements.
does writing an acknowledgement in my CV have any advantages? I have not written an acknowledgement in my CV and therefore I do not know. But, my sense is that there are no advantages.
Regards
Anthony Baidoo
University of Energy and Natural Resources
Very useful answers, I particularly associate myself with responses from Prof Subir and Dr. Asit
Saad Kariem Shather
University of Technology, Iraq
I agree with colleague Dibakar Pal .
best regard
Subir Bandyopadhyay
Botanical Survey of India
Researchers are acknowledged for their expertise. To become an expert number of years are required. In my opinion after long years of expertise and plenty of valuable publications no one cares to put in ones CV how many times one has been acknowledged. I believe citation of papers and acknowledging someone for help are entirely two different things.
Girish Kumar Ramaiah
K.S. Institute of Technology, Kanakpura Road, Bangalore, India
'Acknowledgement' is a way of saying 'Thank you' to those who helped you in taking your paper final version. It includes the financial grants received, discussions and ideas you received from your colleagues or seniors, the time and patience of your family members, etc. Once in one of our papers we acknowledged the Editor of the Journal for making available to us a copy of the paper which we did not have in our library. We have also acknowledged reviewers for their valuable suggestions for improving the quality of the paper. No body gets anything. It is like being a Reviewer. It is a honorary job. But it adds to your professional stature.
22nd Feb, 2018
Joel Bloch
The Ohio State University
Most of the value goes to the author since it says that others support the research. If you receive support, it both shows that you were able to get the money and the granter is doing their job in funding your research. I once acknowledged help I got with statistics because I thought it gave more credibility to my research since I had very little background in statisitcs. If you are not famous, it is more of a thank you. Take it as that.
Vairaprakash Gurusamy
Madurai Kamaraj University
May be due to the more number of authors, they can't provide a authorship in their paper or sometime your part of the work was not be the core of the work like you give some samples for their work etc. But, generally you can add the part of the work in your CV also in the Research work involved. Sometime, your work can help to get some project assistant job also.
Mohamed EL-Shimy
Ain Shams University
The benefit is that you know a honest researcher that recognized your support. Adding it in the C.V is optional. It may be added under scientific activities that may also include review tasks.
1st May, 2018
Asit Kumar Batabyal
"............you know a honest researcher that recognized your support (Dr. EL-Shimy) - Yes it is true. Regards
1st May, 2018
Borden Mushonga
University of Namibia
Acknowledgement is for the benefit of the greater research community or for the world. if someone needs the same special help you gave, then the are able to find you. it may benefit you if you sell your services
Obafemi Obajemihi
University of Ilorin
Acknowledgement is just a way of saying thank you to those who have contributed towards the success of your research. That's all.
Jean-Marc Retrouvey
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Not sure it does much. Was acknowledged a few times as I spent many hours helping fellow researchers. When I mentioned these at an interview it became almost negative as the interviewee told me that my contribution was minimal and should not be mentioned. So I will not bother anymore to help if my name is not on the author's list as many papers have multiple authors nowadays.
Nancy Ann Watanabe
University of Oklahoma-Norman
In my opinion, there are a number of benefits to gain if your name is acknowledged in a scientific paper: (1) When you list your References on your Curriculum Vitae, it will be very helpful to the readers of your CV to know that you contributed to the research and writing of a scientific paper, and, yes, you should, absolutely, acknowledge your work relationship with your Reference; (2) Acknowledgments are somewhat similar to Research Gate, which has both scientific and social factorials; (3) Acknowledgements notes or sections in a published work are informative, so that readers of the article, review, or monograph may increase their knowledge of researchers in the field; in this regard, acknowledging persons or groups or organizations actually might be viewed as a foundational part of the research because often entities mentioned in the Acknowledgments really have been instrumental in making the research and writing and publication possible!
Best regards and best wishes!
Abdelkader BOUAZIZ
SOUGUEUR Division - Chemistry (POLYMERS), Université Ibn Khaldoun Tiaret
Dear all, I think the only benifit is the contentement you get by the author(s) who considered your contribution to the work by any mean. My Regards
Bhogaraju Anand
Malla Reddi Institute of Medical Sciences
FOR doing technical work and statistical work acknowledgements should be included in researchgate
Cenk Çalışkan
Utah Valley University
Including acknowledgements in your CV would sound and look weird and definitely would not be perceived positively. However, in your work summary for the place that the work took place, you can and should describe the work that lead to those acknowledgements. That is the only way those will be further "acknowledged" in your CV. You might mention the papers that resulted from that work, but again, that might minimize the impact of your work that is acknowledged, because your name is not on those papers.
Jean-Marc Retrouvey
University of Missouri - Kansas City

The annual FisherPoets Gathering celebrates occupational folklife through creativity and camaraderie and provides context for two dynamic fisherpoets’ writing.