Q&A
Find answers to technical questions and follow scientific discussions
Started 5th Jan, 2021

What If the gravity of the earth increased ?

Is that has an effect on the biological life

Popular replies (1)

Ayman S. Al-Hussaini
Port Said University
Wonderful question and interesting discussions.🌷🌷🌷
Fondest regards

Arezoo Agharezaei
University of Tehran
I think this could help you;
What If Earth’s Gravity Was Stronger?, science, Pierre Köchel, March 20, 2019,

All replies (80)

Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Certainly. It would have effects on terrestrial and macroscopic life forms.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
prof. Dr. Jose Gaite, In addition to that, I think that it will have an effect on the shape of the earth, the duration of rotation of the earth around itself, and the sun. As a result of this, there is maybe a change of time on our planet.
John Hodge
It's already happening. Tons of meteors fall each day (?).
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dr. John Hodge, This is a natural phenomenon. When these rock fragments come close enough to the Earth to be attracted by its gravity they may fall to the Earth to become part of it. I mean from the question, what will happen if the gravity increased.
John Hodge
Increased mass from the meteors produces increased gravity. So, what will happen will be a continuation of what has happened.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dr. John Hodge, I mean what is the Implications for gravity increasing not the Implications for Increased mass from the meteors and its effect on gravity. I understand your point of view.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
I think the opposite question can be asked and that is what would happen if gravity decreased? There are those who have interpreted this question with the compatibility of dinosaur life.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dr.Valentino Straser, Thank you for the opposite thinking, I found in the following link that this reduced gravity in dinosaur life was the prospect that the ancient Earth was much smaller in diameter and mass to create a Reduced Gravity Earth then the earth expanded in size from meteors and expanded in gravity during With the passage of time which can be explained more by Expanding Earth theory.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
The relationship of gravity to size: if two objects have the same mass, but one is smaller than the other, the smaller object will have correspondingly higher surface gravity. so how the ancient Earth was much smaller in diameter with Reduced Gravity.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear kaled,
naturally this is a hypothesis which, among other things, also has implications with the Theory of Terrestrial Expansion formulated in 1975 by S.W. Carey. These are points of view that should be discussed in an interdisciplinary context to verify if other models are compatible.
Ayman S. Al-Hussaini
Port Said University
Fondest regards
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Thanks, Dr.Valentino Straser, and for all the participants in this beautiful discussion and I know that this question has many aspects to be illustrated. 🌷🌷🌷
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Thanks, Dr. Khaled M. Ossoss.
Regards,
Valentino
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Khaled M. Ossoss's original question was about biological effects. This is already a complex enough question. If you add geological effects of look for the cosmic origin of the Earth, the problem becomes unwieldy.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
I know this Dr. Jose Gaite, the question is branched from us in many aspects, I thank you and all the participants for your participation, and I really enjoyed this discussion. 🌹🌹🌹
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
I agree with the complexity of the question, but the problem, in my opinion, must be considered in a holistic sense, since the endogenous activity of the Earth also greatly influences life. it is sufficient to think of the volcanic activity and the extinctions it caused 252 million years ago with the extinctions reaching at least 94%.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Such questions are treated in the new science of Astrobiology, which tries to combine geology, biology, and other sciences to determine the way that life arises and is affected by the environment. Complex questions, indeed!
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Jose,
I would like to add an important fact to the discussion: the University of Rome has been experimenting with a cure for cancer based on microgravity for some years.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Valentino Straser, that is interesting! I know that microgravity has been an important subject of research in space physics, but I thought that it had somehow stalled. I did not know of any medical applications! Do you have a reference?
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Jose,
I had heard the news in a popular science television broadcast, I think it can be found on youtube. I am also interested references, especially to know the ranges of microgravity application.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dears prof Valentino Straser and prof. Jose Gaite,
you can check the following link on page 16 to 21where there is an explanation of the link between microgravity and biotechnology and the effect of microgravity on protein crystals and mammalian cell tissue on Earth.
you can see page 5, table 1 where there are Physiological impacts of microgravity
in the following link.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Thanks.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Thank you. I will have a look at those papers.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Khaled,
I found the two links very interesting and appreciated NASA's teaching. I would like to add to the discussion that the Rome experiment allowed 20% of terminally ill liver cancer patients to be cured with the microgravity technique.
Regards,
Valentino
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dear prof. Valentino Straser,
you pointed me to another point which the use of microgravity in medicine and pharmaceutical synthesis and it is an interesting path, but I still thinking about if the gravity increased and people will be like as they are in huge centrifugal equipment and we will bind to the earth and facing hardness in the movement. what will happen to the different constructions in the earth and is this has an effect on the consumption of the different types of energy plus what is the change occurs for the shape of the earth and is this has an effect on the time of rotation of the earth around itself and around the sun.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dear prof. Valentino Straser,
If there is a paper or article about the Rome experiment that allowed 20% of terminally ill liver cancer patients to be cured with the microgravity technique. I will thankful to you.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Thank you again. The Microgravity Teachers Guide is nice and would have been even more useful to me when I was involved in teaching such matters.
I have recalled that I saw in a film that a wealthy man with terminal cancer had rented a place in the International Space Station or some other similar orbiting lab (was the film "Contact"?).
Since you are thinking about the biological effects of increased gravity, I can say that astronauts and even pilots are trained in a centrifuge. By the way, there is a funny scene about it in the film "Space Cowboys".
On the theoretical side, we may speculate how life on Earth would change if the gravity on it, say, suddenly doubled.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dear prof. Jose Gaite ,
It is the first time to know about the film which is called contact.
I hear about the space coboys film and the two films are so beautiful 🤩.
From the other side, your speculate is a good alternative question what will happen if gravity is changed from steadly increase to suddenly doubled. 💡
Larissa Borissova
We live at the surface of the planet, which gravitates and rotates. We feel gravitation as the force which is directed to the center of the Earth. This force depends of the mass of the planet. We cannot increase the mass of the Earth. But we can study this question or plants and microbes, creating gravitational acting by means of rotation in laboratory. If the plant is on the rotating platform, it is attracted not only to the center of the Earth but also in the direction of acting force of its rotation. The resulting gravitational force is the sum of the gravitational attraction of planet directed to its center but and along the force of the rotation. of plant.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Larissa,
thanks for your interesting observation.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Larissa Borissova mentions possble experiments with microbes under increased gravity (as centrifugal aceleration). I do not know if they have been carried out?
Anyway, this question is somewhat different from the question of the full life on Earth, as a holistic system, under increased gravity. I said that ths question is theoretical because neither can we change the Earth gravity nor wait until evolution leads it to a new stationary state. Thus, the question may seem a futile speculation, but it is interesting in Astrobiology.
Larissa Borissova
We live on the planet in the static field which is described in GR by Schwarzscield metric for the mass in the empty space-time. This gravitational field is generalization of Newtonian gravitational field created by the mass. The center of Newtonian material sphere is the point, but the center of Schwrzschield solution is the sphere of Schwarzschield with the Hilbert radius r_g = 2GM/c^2. It is lesser that 1 cm for the Earth. the surface of the sphere divides our material world fulled by material substance and fields from the world where physical observer cannot exist. We see that the sphere can increase if the mass of the Earth increases. This sphere is the black hole of Newtonian kind: The body at this surface must move with the light velocity. But it is only theory.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Larissa,
I agree, it is a theory, but this does not mean that we must abandon the analysis of the problem. In this case what would happen to life as we know it?
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
so according to that if we are controlling our weights, we can fly by decreasing our weights or by creating another reverse force to the gravity force.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
If we want to think about increasing the mass and thinking of an anti-gravity effect, just think of a balloon.
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
The evolution of mammals which returned to the sea gives an idea about the effect of gravity on body composition. Compare an elephant to a whale.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Yes, I also said that an increased gravity would have effects on terrestrial animals. Presumably, a shrinking size but changes in shape as well. There have been very large terrestrial animals on earth, now extinct.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
I think it is equally intriguing to analyze the anti-gravity effect exerted by water and its relationship with life.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Immersion in water effectively cancels gravity for lifeforms with the density of water, by Archimedes' principle :-)
Life arose and developed in water. Therefore, there was hardly any effect of gravity for many millions of years.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Life developed in water, but are we sure it was the same gravity as today?
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Valentino Straser, ithe magnitude of gravity does not matter, as long as lifeforms have the density of water (by Archimedes' principle).
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Jose, it's an interesting point of view. Thanks
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
So Can I ask, Does the gravity vary across the surface of the earth regardless of the topography?
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
I can contribute to the debate by saying that a little while ago I sent a review of a paper where I report data on an instrumental level that relate geophysical events, such as earthquakes, with variations in microgravity. Some studies are also available on Rg.
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
Continental drift had a profound influence on evolution of life on earth because geographical isolation is a powerfull motor in darwinian selection. In a paper onRg I correlated it with seasonal variations in centrifugal forces caused by the tilt of the earth axis.
Tuan A. Pham
Heriot-Watt University
If its gravity is increased, our blood will be pulled down into our legs, our bones might break. This will happens for all creatures
Debashish Mukharjee
GN Khalsa College
If it's a sudden process the first thing which would occur is that the soil and Earth layer which are not firmly held will slide down and result in a flood also the skulls and bones of every animal will break, suppose it's a gradual process it is very often that the organism's on Earth will try to adapt the environment and a new evolution will take place according to that but the problem would occur with space researchers because the thrust produced by any fuel won't be enough to propel any rocket and hence they will have to find a new alternative, an alternative for the living.
Deleted profile
If suddenly, the earth would compact itself, the biogeochemical cycles of the planet would change and with this life itself would be modified. At first the only living organisms would be some microorganisms that are relatively independent of gravity.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Perla,
your final sentence represents an interesting connection with the evolutionary processes of life on Earth.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
The Issue is related to us as humans if we can adapt to the change or may be exposed to Extinction and other creatures will be found.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
It is a good explanation and the earth will be fully filled with water and will be called a water planet. so we must manufacture anything that can be float on the surface of the water as it has happened in the flood, but in this case, it will be called as an earth flood.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Dear
Perla Montesino-Sareh
,
It is a good explanation that will lead to a change in time, not only how many hours in the day, but also a change in days of the year. I think the birds will be facing hardness in the flying or maybe disappear. the air will be denser as if you are exposed to pressure.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
we must look for the future and what will expected results related to this change, in order to cancel the worthier. so we must imagine more and more what will happen if.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear Khaled,
I believe an important contribution will come from space missions and from the effects that microgrvity causes in the human organism.
Priya Gupta
Chandigarh Group of Colleges
Yes..it will effect the biological life ..as our body movement is proper due to this gravity...so movement get disturb due to change in gravity
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
At this point one of the most fascinating problems arises: what is gravity? If we think about the size of dinosaurs and their blood circulation, the question associated with gravity becomes even more intriguing.
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
No single mamallian species has to adapt so fast to a change in gravitaty than homo sapiens because we can can come from a position of laying down to a standing position within less than one second and the blood supply to the brain must continuously be guaranteed. The orthostatic adaptive mechanisms are so strongly developped in humans that they problably play a role in the developpement of 'essential' hypertension.
23rd Jan, 2021
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
I had a colleague that had experienced high gravity in a fighter plane (a rather unpleasant experience). I have found an article that describes hypergravity, in particular, biological experiments (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergravity).
23rd Jan, 2021
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Thanks Jose, I will read your suggestion with pleasure.
23rd Jan, 2021
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Thanks, prof Jose Gaite, I will read it.
23rd Jan, 2021
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
The force that is experienced in an accellerating fighter plane is not a gravity force ( G is an universal constant) the acceleration of the plane gives the supplementary force.
Long stay in a space capsule has profound physiological effects on the human body which are well known. The lack of gravity force on the cerebrospinal liquor seems to have negative longturn effects on the cerebral function which could be an great obstacle to a long stay (years) in space.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Presumably, you are not acquainted with Einstein's Principle of Equivalence: the acceleration experienced in an fighter plane is totally equivalent to a gravity acceleration. Please have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Does the body gravity increase when the human died. Does the force will be zero against the gravity of the earth. As you can see that, the one becomes heavier when he loses consciousness. So our body produces the power against gravity to make us stand on our legs. Does the weight of the human rise or decline after death and is this the nervous and muscle systems have a role to combat the gravity.
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
@ jose gaite
I agree. I meant: the acceleration force in an airplane comes or can come on top of the gravity accelerating force of the earth.
Khaled M. Ossoss
Port Said University
Thanks so much for your participation and the value of your informative contributions to this discussion. 🌷 🌷 🌷
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
I found the news of the change in weight, due to gravity, of a living and dead organism very interesting. Can you suggest me a bibliographic reference?
Thanks in advance
Степан Тигунцев
ИРНИТУ
I can answer in the affirmative the question of increasing gravity on Earth and even show, if interesting, calculations of how much the mass and size of the Earth has increased over 100 million years. The huge size of dinosaurs was possible due to low gravity due to the low mass of the Earth.
The calculations are based on the fact that streams of ether constantly flow into our Earth (as well as into any space object). The density of ether was determined. It is determined how much ether is spent on warming up the Earth's core, how much ether goes on synthesizing chemical elements, how much ether flows back from the Earth to ensure the cycle of ether in the Universe.
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
The hughe size of the dino's and their disappearance is explained by darwinian selection.
Степан Тигунцев
ИРНИТУ
That's right. Gradually, the mass of the Earth grew, and gravity grew - accordingly, dinosaurs evolved, their size decreased. Compare dinosaurs of the same species 150 million years ago and 100 million years ago.
Jose Gaite
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
There is a source of Earth mass increase that is more plausible than ether, namely, dark matter, which is known to be substantially more abundant than regular visible matter. But gravity depends on the size of the Earth as well. I think that your theory is not in accord with geology.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
I believe the massive extinctions of the Permian and Triassic and the geological and paleoenvironmental implications may, in a future of research, offer new insights for the evolutionary theory and compatibility of beings such as dinosaurs.
Степан Тигунцев
ИРНИТУ
Уважаемый Jose Gaite
To begin with, I will show the principle of gravity due to ether.
Each space object has a spherical shape and draws in ether streams from all sides of space. It is known to accelerate the flow of ether - this is the acceleration of free fall (USP), which is different for each space object. The airflow rate at any distance from the space object can be determined by the known USS value at that distance. When two space objects (Earth - Moon, Sun - Earth, etc.) are at some distance from each other, they are attracted to each other due to the interaction of multidirectional streams of ether drawn by these objects. The conclusion and explanation of the gravity formula are shown in my article. As an analogy, one can consider the attraction of the hoses of two vacuum cleaners if the hoses are suspended and directed to each other and the vacuum cleaners are turned on.
Ether streams in the center of the Earth are transformed into chemical elements, create thermal energy. As a result, we have a hot core that will never cool, as well as a set of chemical elements that increase the mass of the Earth, increase gravity on Earth (on other space objects, processes are similar). Oil, natural gas, etc. did not originate from plants, they were formed and formed constantly from chemical elements arising in the Earth's core.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear All, when we talk about the ether and the force of gravity, we must distinguish between an "attraction" or a "push to the back", as Newton wrote. If I remember correctly the migration of the elements towards the center of the Earth and their subsequent transformations had been hypothesized by the great Russian chemist Dmitry Ivanovich Mendeleev.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Dear All, in this debate we can introduce a new element, namely gravity affects time, as known from the famous Pound-Rebka experiment.
What about life?
Regards,
Valentino
Степан Тигунцев
ИРНИТУ
Gravity doesn't affect time. Gravity reduces the velocity of photons released against gravitational forces. This leads to the effect of redshift of the Earth. The attached article is described in more detail. Paragraph 4 describes the Pound-Rebka experiment.
Valentino Straser
UPKL Brussels
Thank you for this prompt remark.
Md. Tarek Hossain
American International University-Bangladesh
When gravity increase then its effect the velocity that why efficiency decreases but it doe's affect time...
Willy Verhiest
self emploied
Gravity does not affect the velocity of light which is always constant. Gravity transforms space and a photon will follow that space but always at the same velocity.
Avadh Kumar
Physical Research Laboratory
Here, I'm discussing that, Is the gravity of Earth increasing or not?
Every day, more than 100 tons of debris, meteorites, and dust sand-size particles strike the Earth. It happened due to continuous impact and collisions are taking place in the asteroid belt. So meteoroids are ejected from the asteroid, later when it is landed on Earth, it known as Meteorite.
Mass of Earth= 5.972 × 10^24 kg
Striking material= 9.07 × 10^4 kg (approx.)
Although it is very less compared to the mass of Earth. but it must have significant changes in the gravity of Earth.
So the increment in the gravity of Earth lead following change-
  • Due to the decrement in the rotational speed of Earth, the day will be longer than 24 hours
Arezoo Agharezaei
University of Tehran
I think this could help you;

In your opinion, was Stephen Hawking a responsible Cosmologist, Physicist and Scientist?
20 replies
  • Rahim AlijaniRahim Alijani
Dear All;
If we look closely to scientific works, interviews and speeches of Stephen Hawking, we may see many points unacceptable to norms of science. I myself have identified questionable statements by him that may need to be clarified. I share you several examples:
1- As far as I have seen and read his books, I did not find any referencing styles, bibliography...
2- Strange Statements, for example about Black Holes, rejecting other sciences such as Philosophy,
3- Changing his views constantly, with no reference, talking about Big Crunch, then reject it, talking about Big Bang and then reject it.
4- Advertising "The theory of everything" and then giving it up silently...
5- Did not talk about opposite ideas by others, eg, those who don't accept Big Bang...
6- Changing his ideas about our fate constantly, for example saying we have 1000 years time to leave earth, 600 years, 200 years, 100 years...
7- The reasons he talks about for leaving the earth (such as possible nuclear wars, Viruses, climate change, ... ) could be easily challenged, as humans (if ever according to him ) leave the Earth, wont take with themselves their behavior, culture, tools, systems, policies, attitudes, understanding ideology, beliefs, systems, doctrines? just to name a few.
8- Alien invasion
9- other issues... we talk about later
Please share your ideas on points mentioned above, or other points you know
Thank you
Did the Big Bang happen? (an open discussion)
73 replies
  • Sydney Ernest GrimmSydney Ernest Grimm
The introduction to the discussion is the 16:58 minute video of Sabine Hossenfelder. In my opinion Sabine Hossenfelder is one of the physicists who shows an outstanding insight in modern theoretical physics. Her videos at Youtube.com are well argued, founded and understandable for every theoretical physicist. So I hope that every RG member who wants to participate in the discussion about the Big-Bang hypothesis will try to communicate at the same level as Sabine Hossenfelder (I cross my fingers).
With kind regards, Sydney

Chapter
In this chapter some preliminaries evaluation were outline briefly based on exploring the use of potential gravity field method in characterizing regional trends of Earth’s sequence system interms of gravitational potentials and fields, viz-a-viz., the background, instrumentation, theoretical model, gravity data reduction, geological framework, Bou...
Chapter
If the form and structure of a system are principally determined by gravity, which is true for all large bodies, and if the gravitational constant varied, this form would also change. The consequences would be especially important for the Earth. Perhaps they already occurred; the real question is whether we can trace the countless transformations o...
As we seek to recognize the opportunities of advanced aerospace technologies and spaceflight, it is increasingly important to understand the impacts of hypergravity, defined as gravitational forces greater than those present on the earth's surface. The nematode Caenorhabditis elegans has been established as a powerful model to study the effects of...