Question
Asked 1st Jul, 2018

What is the purpose of a Lab in Research Gate?

From time to time I get messages containing information that my name has been included in a Lab. No offer is sent before this inclusion. It is never asked that whether I am interested in working with the Lab. Even sometime the single message by which I know . that my name has been included does not contain any information about the academic domain of the Lab. I would therefore like to know what is the purpose of this concept. If collaborative research is the aim, I believe, there should be a series of message transactions before the Lab is set up.

Ali Kamrani
University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences
I agree with Hermann Gruenwald

1st Jul, 2018
Abdullah Noori
Kabul University
According to Researchgate, a lab is a group of scientists, led by a senior researcher, who conduct experiments and research together on a specific topic. One can now quickly set up your lab on ResearchGate to showcase the work their lab is doing. With RG lab one can:
  • Increase the visibility of their lab's research 
  • Attract scientists for their team
  • Easily collaborate with other labs

1st Jul, 2018
Gopikrishna Nidigonda
Chaitanya Engineering College
I think it is used to update the laboratories we are working with, research carrying, to update on-going work and future plans..
It is as simple as we conduct and upload the research what we do..
Anyhow, we must say, big thanks to RG for providing researchers a good platform..
1st Jul, 2018
Mushtaq Ahmad
Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission
It is a new thing for me, administration may explain the real purpose
1st Jul, 2018
Abdullah Noori
Kabul University
  • Attract scientists for their team
  • Easily collaborate with other labs
3rd Jul, 2018
Hussin Jose Hejase
Independent - TAAU
Enriching the subject with comments and observations. Purpose is Improvement.
3rd Jul, 2018
Azzawi Hadi
Ninevah University
it's an announcement that you are a coworker with other person in certain subject. So it will add will add a communication through the RG
3rd Jul, 2018
Mirna Leko-Šimić
University of Osijek
Wbat is than the difference between project and lab?
3rd Jul, 2018
Mahesh Kumar
Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology
Nice query@ Anup Kumar Bandyopadhyay
I am following it!
Thanks
3rd Jul, 2018
Segun Michael Abegunde
The Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
I think it is to encourage collaboration between members.
3rd Jul, 2018
Luma M. Ahmed
University of Kerbala
I think the opinion view of Dr. Abdullah Noori is more acceptance.
Anup Kumar Bandyopadhyay
Jadavpur University
Thank you all for your comments. I do admit that it is a method by which researchers who are working on the same field can discuss and exchange their views. For others also a consolidated report on the state of art in a particular topic may be accessible more easily. However I believe that the inclusion of a researcher in a particular lab should be done after taking his/her approval. But in most of the cases this is not done.
In RG a researcher not being an expert in a particular field can take part in discussions by answering questions. (S)he does so from his/her academic GK. But this activity does not qualify him/her to become a member of a research lab in this topic and such automatic inclusion sometime may become embarrassing.
Ashok Pundir
NITIE-National Institute of Industrial Engineering
I think this may be the way to identify researchers who may work closely on a research topic that can be multidisciplinary.
Of course, it may be the lab in a particular institution dedicated to a particular research area.
Nicolas Fierro Viedma
University of Desarrollo
Do people tend to use it?
Anup Kumar Bandyopadhyay
Jadavpur University
I have doubt.
Nicolas Fierro Viedma
University of Desarrollo
Do you think that people will start using this new function?
A. El Kebir
University Mustapha Stambouli of Mascara
thanks
A. El Kebir
interssting
2nd Nov, 2019
Lizet Rodríguez-Machín
Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de las Villas
Please, could you tell were how can I add a lab in RG, I can't find it
Arnold Pears
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
It seems that if you are a member of a Lab you cannot create your own, you need to leave the other Labs you are a part of first. So far as I can tell.
Regards
Arnold.
21st Nov, 2019
Md Gulzar Hussain
Green University of Bangladesh

-----

Technical Report
New asphalt mixtures were developed in the specialist laboratories of AECOM’s Centre of Excellence for Asset Consultancy in Nottingham to establish proof of concept for the asphalt materials. The mix designs and the associated performance related assessments showed optimised properties which led to pilot scale demonstration trials at Alrewas Quarry...
Chapter
Research priorities and protections proposes collaborative research with people with intellectual disability. Research experiences of people with intellectual disability in the past was characterised by abuse and stigmatisation. As a result, they have endured marginalisation in terms of inclusion in research activities. This chapter recognises that...
The size, distribution, and composition of inclusions during the desulphurisation and deoxidation steps were studied in laboratory experiments. 3 different calcium-based desulphurisation mixtures were used. The number of inclusions and composition of inclusions were then determined using optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy, respecti...