Started 9th Jan, 2020

What is the cosmological impact of "The Radcliffe Wave" for understanding our galaxy's formation?

Dear Colleagues,
I am a liaison (informal) at my university between science and the arts. I have family in planetary astronomy but this is far afield.
A question or two:
What does this newly-reported Radcliffe Wave of gaseous proto-stars tell us about how our galaxy originated?
Is there any chance that this wave will make some difference in our own sun's behavior?

Vera Maura Fernandes de Lima
CNEN - Comissão Nacional de Energia Nuclear
Dear Preston,
Intriguin view, thanks for sharing Vera Lima

Popular replies (1)

Vera Maura Fernandes de Lima
Dear Preston,

All replies (6)

Gloria Lee Mcmillan
The University of Arizona
Dear Colleagues,
I wrote to some of the team who discovered this Radcliffe Wave, hoping for something to stir the imaginations of our group of hard-science SF writers. One of the Radcliffe Wave discoverers wrote that we --the earth--ould have crossed this Radcliffe Wave. He gave some evidences and concluded that earth is not detached and is connected to fellow voyagers in our galaxy. That remark made me consider some other aspects of how we may be culture-driven, rather than curiosity-driven.
QUOTED from my reply:
So, we are not "detached" travelers, but are connected to this galaxy of ours.  My Ph.D. is in Rhetoric, Composition, and English, so I might explore how culture has caused being "detached" and "individual" as the default assumption, at least in the West. 
We spent a week rhetorically "deconstructing" Galileo in a Rhetoric of Science seminar, looking at the culture of Galileo's day, what could and could nt be perceived or expressed or investigated. 
That might be another way to make this a rhetorical hook for starting and SF story. How according to the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis (communications/linguistics) we can only "see" and "think" what language and culture allow.  The science fiction film Arrival film did some work on this!
Eric Lee
Oklahoma State University - Stillwater
the solar cycle of every star in the galaxy is intertwined
Javad Fardaei
Dear Gloria, Here,
I am presenting unprecedented theory, it is called The Quantum Mechanics Universe. My theory of formation of galaxies has been mentioned in this article. Let me know if you have any question
Weitter Duckss
It is difficult to expect results from a single piece of information.
The universe and its bodies should be viewed as a whole within larger structures. It is not enough to observe rotation separately for each body. It is necessary to evaluate the constant action of attractive forces, which with rotation make up all systems inside and outside our Universe.
„ The matter attraction takes place on the level of particles , dust, smaller objects and to the galaxies, clusters of galaxies, ... Our Earth daily gets richer with the new quantities of matter, incoming from the Universe and estimated to be 300 tons per day..
An object with no rotation around its axis, or with an extremely slow one, can not have objects in the orbits around itself, because there is only the law of matter attraction present there. All of the other objects use rotation to capture particles, dust and other objects, in a lesser quantity, related to the total mass..
Furthermore, an object can not form orbits around the poles (north – south direction). An object, incoming vertically to the poles, has the same speed as those incoming in the direction of rotation (vertically to the equator)..
Despite of large production of hydrogen and helium, and a constant release of these gases into the atmosphere as well, their share in the atmosphere remains unchanged. The loss of hydrogen from the atmosphere of Earth is estimated to be 3 kg/s and the one of helium 50 g/s..“
The processes in the Universe and on the bodies are constant and very dynamic.
Vera Maura Fernandes de Lima
Dear Preston,

We briefly review the problem of generating cosmological flows of matter in GR (the genesis of universes), analyze models' shortcomings and their basic assumptions yet to be justified in physical cosmology. We propose a paradigm of cosmogenesis based on the class of spherically symmetric solutions with {\it integrable} singularity $r=0$. They allow...
Conference Paper
What will be the character of research in physical cosmology in the 1990s? We may find a greater emphasis on semiempirical models whose development is informed by a more nearly equal balance of theory and observation than has been feasible up to now. I present an example of how this might go in a model for galaxy formation in a low density universe...
Physical cosmology tries to understand the Universe at large with its origin and evolution. Observational and experimental situations in cosmology do not allow us to proceed purely based on the empirical means. We examine in which sense our cosmological assumptions in fact have shaped our current cosmological worldview with consequent inevitable li...