Question
Asked 22nd Oct, 2015

What causes shoulder pain after cesarean section and spinal anesthesia in females?

In my clinic I have noticed that female patients complained from shoulder pain immediately after labor with Cesarean section with spinal anesthesia and this condition may be continuous for several months . no complain during pregnancy, by examination of the shoulder no positive signs presented. x-ray was free.

Medhat Maaty
Mansoura University
thank you  Cristian furau for your answer but I am an orthopedic surgeon and this complaint a have faced in my clinic. 

23rd Oct, 2015
Roop Kishen
The University of Manchester
The above answers are correct. Most common cause (and perhaps the only cause) is the collection of blood, amniotic fluid etc. that drain from uterus during the operation. This collects below the diaphragm and if not carefully prevented from doing so can give rise to pain. However, it should not last for months as you say. Other factors may be involved as clots remaining in situ for a long time. the best thing is to put packs around uterus to prevent the fluid etc. from collection under the diaphragm. However, the very act of placing packs may also cause pain and one has to be careful 

23rd Oct, 2015
Kenichi Takechi
Matsuyama Red Cross Hospital
I think that is referred pain from diaphragm.
Patients usually complain that after peritoneal lavage.
23rd Oct, 2015
Ibrahim Hammad
University of Utah
The pain is most likely a referral pain from the diaphragm. The phrenic nerve passes through the shoulder area and is usually irritated by the air entrapped during the laparotomy.
23rd Oct, 2015
Francisco Javier Soriano-Vidal
Agència Valenciana de Salut
Dear Medhat,
Could be for several reasons, one of those is the Kehr's sign (referred pain). It is the occurrence of acute pain in the tip of the shoulder due to the presence of blood or other irritants in the peritoneal cavity.
Someone else could give other opinions to your question, which would be of great interest.
Yours.
23rd Oct, 2015
Johan Nel
University of the Free State
Irritants in peritoneal cavity, e.g. blood clots, which should have been removed.
Rough surgery may also play a role.
Regards.
23rd Oct, 2015
Sawsan Talib
University of Diyala
most likely  it is referred pain due to irrtation of diaphragm by any irritant in the peretonial cavity like fluid, air or others
23rd Oct, 2015
Roop Kishen
The University of Manchester
23rd Oct, 2015
Johan Nel
University of the Free State
I agree with Roop Kishen - 2 wet packs alongside the uterus during caesarean section is very helpful to prevent blood from collecting in the upper abdomen. Packs must be inserted and removed gently.
Regards.
Medhat Maaty
Mansoura University
Dear all
thank u very much for your answers
Abdel Karim M. El Hemaly
Al-Azhar University
I agree with most of the answers, however, I may hesitate on amniotic fluid irritating the diaphragm, as to my mind it will be quickly absorded; however air is not easily absorped and it will cause irritation of the diaphragm causing shoulser pain.
Johan Nel
University of the Free State
I agree with Abdel Hemaly.
3rd Nov, 2015
Khadijeh Kh K Abdali
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
Distention or any pressure on the  parietal peritoneum could cause severe irritation of the C5nerve ,  one of the causes of this pain is the presence of blood or amniotic fluid in the subdiaphragmatic region                                                                                                            
   maternal hypovolaemia; coagulopathy; infection
at the site of intrathecal catheter or needle insertion; increased
intracranial pressure and patient refusal of regional anaesthesia
 The pain is described as sharp, deep and referred, usually begins intraoperatively and continue for 2-3 days after surgery
Cristian Furau
„Vasile Goldis” Western University of Arad
Although it has no scientific backup, a difference in the rate of pain appearance can be seen in connection with the horizontalization of the operating table. The more anti Trendelenburg the less number of patients with blood cloths behind the uterus and so a decrease of this type of pain postoperative. Also an appropriate "cleaning" of the peritoneal cavity for blood cloths can diminish the rate.
PS: Do you practice the suture of the uterus inside or outside the abdominal cavity?

Can someone check if my hypotheses make sense prior to commencing data collection?
Question
  • Cian O'ReganCian O'Regan
Hi everyone,
My supervisors have asked me to seek advice from external experts in the field of human factors, augmented reality, psychology etc. to see if the wording of my hypotheses makes sense prior to commencing data collection in the coming weeks.
In my experiment, I will be training participants to execute drone flights (using the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Open Test Lane) while viewing flight procedures on a nearby screen (Condition 1), on a Microsoft Hololens 2 (Condition 2), and having them read aloud by a non-flying co-pilot while wearing an EPSON Moverio BT-300 headset (Condition 3).
On Training/Testing Day 1, participants will perform a series of training flights to familiarise themselves with the drone controls, and will also acquaint themselves with operating a drone under each of the three conditions mentioned above. Immediately following the completion of training, they will execute three different drone flights (1 flight per condition) and their baseline performance recorded.
This is a repeated-measures, within-subject experiment design, so participants will execute the same flight procedures (in a randomised order to facilitate counterbalancing and eliminate any learning/practice effect) under the exact same conditions as the test flights on Testing Day 1.
We will be measuring participants total elapsed flight time, as well as the number of errors they make on each flight. Thus, we expect that participants will execute the drone flights significantly faster and with significantly fewer errors while using the Moverio compared to when they use Hololens and the digital screen.
In addition to this, participants will return 4 days later to perform the same flights, and one final time 6 months later which will allow us to see how participant performance compares over time across all three conditions.
Therefore, my core hypotheses are as follows:
1. We hypothesise that using a heads-up, head-worn AR display (i.e. EPSON Moverio) to view drone flight procedures would result in better long-term retention of a newly acquired motor skill than using a head-worn AR display, or an LCD screen.
2. We hypothesise that using a heads-up, head-worn AR display (i.e. EPSON Moverio) to view drone flight procedures following a training-performance interval of approximately 6 months would result in participants making significantly fewer errors in the execution of a newly acquired motor skill than using a head-worn AR display, or an LCD screen.
I am attaching a series of images visualising and hopefully clarifying all of what I have said above. However, if you have any comments or queries of your own please make them know here in your responses and I will be happy to share more information.
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out, it's very much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Cian
Can the Bray-Curtis Dissimilarity Index show differences in relative abundances of particular species. If not, which analyses can?
Question
  • Bríd O'ConnorBríd O'Connor
Hi all,
I have a dataset of fish surveys containing counts of 80 or so species seen at 11 different reefs over a several year period. I would like to compare the community composition between each of these reefs, and this kind of analysis is new to me so I'm a little confused.
- Diversity: I plan to use the Shannon Index to calculate the diversity of each reef, but I have read contradicting information on how to interpret this index. Would ANOSIM or PERMANOVA be appropriate for comparing the diversity of the different reefs?
- Composition: My understanding of the Bray-Curtis Dissimilarity Index is that it shows the degree of difference between community composition of each reef. So, for example, it says reef A & reef B are 6% dissimilar in composition; reef B & reef C are 15% dissimilar in composition. Does it tell us specifically where the dissimilarities are? How do we interpret this? Would SIMPER be an appropriate means of doing so? Would SIMPER then tell us the relative abundances of each species? Or would relative abundances be calculated in a different way altogether?
In similar studies I see the same analyses coming up: NMDS, ANOSIM, PERMANOVA, SIMPER, Bray-Curtis, but I'm finding it difficult to figure out which of these, if any of these, is the most appropriate for my data.
I hope my questions are clear enough, but if not please let me know!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Paper gives the analyse of the incidence of post-dural puncture headache in patients undergoing caesarean section in spinal anaesthesia at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Olomouc in 2003-2004. Post-dural puncture headache following caesarean section in spinal anaesthesia in 2003 was retrospectively analysed. Subsequently, measures to...
ADVANCES in palliative and corrective cardiovascular surgical procedures have lead to increasing numbers of patients with congenital heart disease in the obstetric population. 1 We describe a parturient with palliated complex congenital heart disease. Our peripartum treatment of this challenging patient included mixed venous oximetry and continuous...
Hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia, also known as Osler-Weber-Rendu disease, is a vascular disorder characterized by multiple mucocutaneous and visceral arteriovenous malformations. There is little in the literature about the anaesthetic management of parturients with this condition. We report the anaesthetic management for caesarean section of...