Question
Asked 16th Mar, 2014

What are some examples of problems that require efficient computation of SpMV for very large matrices?

I am participating in a 3 minute thesis competition and I am looking for practical applications of iterative SpMV with large matrices (billions or trillions of non-zeros). My understanding is that many models like protein model simulations or climate change model simulations use this approach. If you are working on something like this or know about some applications I would like to know about it.

This paper describes a simulation model of the MPP Pyramid [1] that has been constructed at the George Mason University. This model has been designed to facilitate experiments in processor control and in instruction set design.
Thesis (M.S.)--Humboldt State University, 1991. Includes bibliographical references (leaves 24-25). Typescript (photocopy).