Question
Asked 18th Jan, 2021

Two-stage disjoint approach PLS-SEM. Do considering the overall model fit (SRMR, NFI, RMS_theta) still make sense?

Kind colleagues,
I am running a PLS-SEM on SmartPls 3.0. I specified the model as with two higher orderd formative components (HOCs). The lower order construcst instead have reflective causality (it's a reflective-formative HCM). To estimate it I tried with the repeated indicators approach and calculate the internal, convergent and discriminant validity statistics for HOCs by hand. Everything works fine except the overall model fit (which I know to be a very debated topic) that gives me SRMR above 0.11 and an infinite Chi-square (which I interpret as too many degrees of freedom and too tiny sample - 260). By using the disjoint two-stage approach instead, my model works perfectly. Not only the path coefficients are all significant, but also the overall model fit is amazing (SRMR below 0.06). My question is: does it make sense to consider these overall fit measure in the two stages approach? I mean, is it even comperable to a specification estimated with the repeated indicators approach? How should I choose the best model?
I need the help of the community!
Thanks everyone

22nd Jan, 2021
Mehmet Mehmetoglu
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Giacomo Buzzao, I am not using SmartPls, but I think, in general, estimating higher-order constructs using the two-stage approach seems reasonable due to complexity involved. What the two-stage approach does in your case is that it creates component scores for the first-order constructs using the PLS-SEM algorithm and then uses these component scores as the manifest variables of the formative constructs which themselves are also component scores. Another way of saying this is that your first-order constructs are predicting your second-order construct. PLS-SEM itself is a two-stage algorithm. Following this reasoning then, any fit measures or alike provided by software based on PLS-SEM algorithm can also be used for evaluating higher-order component models.
22nd Jan, 2021
Imran Anwar
Chandigarh University
Credé, M., & Harms, P. D. (2015). 25 years of higher-order confirmatory factor analysis in the organizational sciences: A critical review and development of reporting recommendations. Journal of
Organizational Behavior, 36(6), 845-872.
Jackson, D. L., Gillaspy, J. A., & Purc-Stephenson, R. (2009).
Reporting practices in confirmatory factor
analysis: an overview and some recommendations. Psychological methods, 14(1), 6-23.
Hopefully these papers will help your query.

Recommendations

In many studies the research is characterized by elements that make the analysis suited for partial least squares (PLS) path modeling techniques; nascent theories or measures, the model being tested incorporates formative constructs, smaller sample sizes, non-parametric data, and comparatively complex models. There are several PLS beta-test softwar...
Pembuatan suatu aplikasi harus dilakukan dengan memperhatikan faktor kemudahan penggunaan (usability). Usability aplikasi penting untuk diperhatikan agar pengguna yang mengimplementasikan aplikasi tersebut merasa mudah untuk menggunakannya, memperoleh informasi yang diperlukan, dan tertarik untuk masuk lebih dalam pada aplikasi. Penelitian ini dila...
SmartPLS is one of the prominent software applications for Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM). It was developed by Ringle, Wende & Will (2005). The software has gained popularity since its launch in 2005 not only because it is freely available to academics and researchers, but also because it has a friendly user interface...
Origins Center to open at Fundamentals of Life in the Universe symposium
Sponsored Content
On 31 August, Louise Vet (director of the Netherlands Institute for Ecology, NIOO-KNAW), Ben Feringa (University of Groningen, Nobel Prize winner for Chemistry 2016) and Rens Waters (general and scientific director of the Netherlands Space Research Institute SRON) opened the Origins Center, in front of an audience of over 200 delegates at the Fundamentals of Life in the Universe symposium.
The Fundamentals of Life symposium was held on the Zernike Campus of the UG. Nineteen speakers from the Netherlands and abroad discussed the various aspects and challenges in the search for the origins of life. In conclusion, Stan Gielen, chair of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), spoke about the future of the Dutch National Research Agenda.
Origins Center
The Origins Center is a virtual pooling of resources, bringing together leading Dutch researchers from the fields of astronomy, biophysics, ecology, molecular and evolutionary biology, planet and earth sciences, chemistry, mathematics, informatics and computational science, all focusing on the origins of life in the broadest sense of the term. In July, NWO awarded the Origins Center a grant of € 2.5 million for a three-year programme involving a number of preliminary research projects. The programme includes developing a virtual centre designed to support collaboration between these researchers and similar centres elsewhere in the world. The Origins Center will also initiate projects relating to science communication.
The Center’s programme entails five three-year projects, focusing on the origins of life-bearing planets and life on planet Earth, the predictability of evolution, the malleability and controllability of life, modelling planet Earth as an exoplanet and the mathematical understanding of the effect of emerging phenomena on underlying organization levels in natural systems. The projects will serve as a joint basis for a larger, longer-lasting scientific programme designed to provide pioneering insight into the phenomenon ‘life’ on astrophysical, planetary and molecular scales.
More information? Check our website: http://www.origins-center.nl/