Started 8th Nov, 2021

Topics for MSc in Computer Science with Cyber Security

I am currently undertaking a computer science with cyber security MSc and have been trying to find topics of study for the independent research project which would be interesting to me and I am struggling and am looking for a pointer in the right direction.
I would like to undertake something that is in some way practical in nature to keep it interesting, and the topic has to include some elements of security.
My interests through work are mainly developing serverless applications on AWS and event driven applications and cloud computing but I am really struggling to find something that is both interesting and isn't purely research based and theoretical.
Any pointers would be gratefully received, I still have another four months until I need to write the project proposal but I have already been trying to find something that sparks my interest for the last month or two with little success.

2nd Dec, 2022
Allan Agaba
Department of Social and Health Services
Try check my work on here, you’ll get a topic I can guarantee you!

Popular replies (1)

1st Apr, 2022
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University in Warsaw
Dear Paul Ockleford,
I propose the following topic for the master's thesis on cybersecurity issues: Applications of blockchain and machine learning technologies and other Industry 4.0 technologies as part of improving the cybersecurity risk management of IT systems operating in computing cloud computing environments, in systems based on the Internet of Things, Big Data, and smart technology solutions etc. The research topic may also concern the improvement of techniques and risk management of cybersecurity of information systems used in internet banking and mobile banking.
Best regards,
Dariusz

All replies (12)

Len Leonid Mizrah
Authernative, Inc., USA
Dear Paul Ockleford,
You may want to overview this info below:
How does computer science relate to cyber security?
Computer science is a broad field that involves the study of computers and computing. Cyber security, a subfield of computer science, involves protecting networks, systems and programs from digital hacks. In order to do this work, cyber security specialists rely on their deep understanding of computers and networks.
All cyber security undergraduate degree programs will cover the basics of the field, and some of those core courses you take may include:
  • Information Systems.
  • Security Systems.
  • Information Technology.
  • Cyber Defense.
  • Ethics, Law & Policy.
  • Data Communications & Networking.
  • Digital Forensics.
Is cyber security a part of computer science?
CYBERSECURITY DEGREE Cybersecurity is a subset of computer science, and in today's computer-reliant world, it has its own field of study and degree programs. Those interested in cybersecurity usually earn a bachelor's in computer science.
What are subjects in computer science?
Major topics include in any CSE undergraduate degree course are Operating System, Design and Analysis of Algorithm, Programming Languages, Microprocessor, Computer Software, Database Management System, Mobile Communications, Cryptography and Network Security, Performance Evaluation
Mustafa H. Hashim
Al-Kunooze University College
You should take a survey about the recent trends researchers that works in that field. My profile has two researchs about Cybersecirity espeasialy phishing attack detection and prrvention techniques.
Aki Koivu
PerkinElmer Wallac Oy
Cyber security of IoT devices! You have the opportunity to experience the simplified IoT operating systems and conduct some hands-on attacks for wireless connections for example. This type of applied research work can be as practical as you want it to be.
Mahsa Dinarvand
University of Padova
You can search about fraud in credit cards since is a crucial problem in the real-world. If you search the static number of loses moner because of this fraud type you can understand the importance of this dilemma in this world that e-commerce progressed every day.
Good luck
Qasem Abu Al-Haija
Princess Sumaya University for Technology
Hot and recent topics:
  • Deep/machine learning based Cybersecurity solutions (such as intrusion detection/prevention , cyberattacks' classification, ...)
  • Deep/machine learning based Digital multimedia forensics' solutions...
  • Secure coding and reverse engineering
  • .....etc
Tharushi Dinethri
University of Moratuwa
Search about cloud security. defiantly you will be able to find a path to deep dive.
Yashar Salami
Qazvin Islamic Azad University
Authentication and key exchange.
22nd Nov, 2021
Rajat Tandon
University of Southern California
Cloud Security is an interesting research topic.
Example: "Understanding cloud misbehavior"
Henriques Marcelino
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
There is my suggestion on some topics for Master of Computer Science with Cyber Security:
1. Cybersecurity during the COVID-19 epidemic in hospital infrastructures.
2. Impact of cyber threats on school infrastructure in the period of COVID-19.
1st Apr, 2022
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Dear Paul Ockleford,
Best regards,
Dariusz
2nd Dec, 2022
Musanganya Reonald
Uganda Technology & Management University (UTAMU)
LEVERAGING RANSONWARE USING MACHINE LEARNING ALGORITHM
2nd Dec, 2022
Allan Agaba

-----

Hokkaido Prefectural Police and NIT Tomakomai College signed a contract about student nurture in cyber security field in 2018. After the contract, we have started collaborated cyber security education. Hokkaido Prefectural Police has spoken to students about cyber security, usage of social network service and cyber security crime. In NIT Tomakomai...
Presentation
Invited Talk at PG Department of Computer Science, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, India.