Started 25th Jan, 2022

The power of keywords and audience-centric papers: Reflections and thoughts on number of citations, publishing, and highly-impacted journals

I don't know if this was already asked or not, but I thought I'd give it a try. How do you guarantee your research reaches more audience? What if it is not a generic topic that has similar previous applications? How do citations work (Other than keyword-ing and finding similar topics online and in journals)? What constitutes a great work if the audience of the paper(s) is only a handful of people? Does it have to be one of the very well-known journals to get highly cited (from your experience)?
Please share.

22nd Mar, 2022
Samar Elkhalifa
Hamad bin Khalifa University
Joseph C Lee I agree with you. Thanks for the contribution!

All replies (6)

Wolfgang R. Dick
Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy
The following previous discussions are on increasing citations in general and on making research more visible. This is not specifically what you asked, but nevertheless it may help you to take a look at these dicussions:
Samar Elkhalifa
Hamad bin Khalifa University
Thanks Wolfgang R. Dick for sharing
Andrew Paul McKenzie Pegman
University of Auckland
Just do your best and try to publish in high impact journals :)
Samar Elkhalifa
Hamad bin Khalifa University
Andrew Paul McKenzie Pegman Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for sharing your opinion
22nd Mar, 2022
Joseph C Lee
Queensland Health
My advice is that some fields even the best journals do not have such a high impact factor. Yes, if it is possible then definitely try for that but if not possible, I am safe knowing that other serious researchers in my field (including potential employers) will know what are the so-called good journals in my field and will recognise that. Journals are also labelled as Q1 - top 25% or Q2 - 25-50% and so on. That, again, I expect will be good for me, even if the journals I publish in do not have a very high IF.

This paper uses my experience as an academic journal editor in order to reflect upon the social arrangement that brings academics, universities, states and knowledge capitalist organizations together to produce the contemporary academic journal and access paywalls. After some consideration of the history of publishing, I analyse the market for arti...
Conference Paper
The fusion of the digital world with open access created a totally new way of publishing academic journals. Digitization was less costly than publishing in paper and digital papers were instantly distributed worldwide as soon as they went online. Open access did exactly what it says, it let everyone have access as long as they were hooked into the...
Purpose - Predatory publishing is a growing and global issue infecting all scientific domains. Predatory publishers create counterfeit, not (properly) peer-reviewed journals to exploit the Open Access model in which the author pays. The plethora of predatory marketing journals along with the sophisticated deceptive practices of their publishers may...