Started 27th Sep, 2021
  • Central University of Paraguay

Should Histology books be reedited to insert scale bars in their images?

I started my studies on histology and I realized most of well established text-books don't use scale bars in their images, except the books of the American-German Thieme Publishing Group. I think it is a lack of technical rigorosity, even though most of books treat the issue only on a qualitative point of view. So, what do you think about that? Should the publishers in that area change their concept to increase their accuracy?

syed jaffar abbas Zaidi
Dow University of Health Sciences
Well in SEM images in books, they usually write the magnification used. Scale bars should be added to microscopic histological pictures for better interpretation and possible duplication.

All replies (11)

Alexandros A Lavdas
Eurac Research
That's a good point, and I agree in principle. They don't necessarily need to be in every image, since, as you said, they approach the issue only from a qualitative point of view, but at least there should be scale bars in representative images of each tissue, so that the student can have an idea of the sizes.
Davison Ramos de Almeida Junior
Central University of Paraguay
Alexandros A Lavdas, I agree with your viewpoint. In good magazines and books of physics or material science, the scalebar is mandatory because most of students nowadays read these bibliography on the internet, so, talking about magnification doesn't seems to make much sense. It also open the opportunity for quantification in multiple sources, something which could become feasible with the current technology.
Alexandros A Lavdas
Eurac Research
Davison Ramos de Almeida Junior Yes, for journals they should be in every image. Magnification is basically useless as a concept. OK, on print it means something, but in a pdf it means nothing at all - it depends on what size you are viewing it,
on what screen etc.
Hidaia Bakheat Zolain
University of Nyala
Yes
Pernett Ivet
That's a good point, and I agree.
Daniel L. Stanton
University of Florida
I think scale bars are a must especially with electronic zoom capabilities available in most microscopy imaging software such as those associated with confocal. Field of views may also differ based on the camera chip size. I think if all the images are respective to one another such as 8 images captured using a 20x objective, then it is ok if one image had a scale bar for reference and the others don’t. However, that should be mentioned in the caption that all images were captured using the same magnification and settings. Scale bars are also a must for any images used for data analysis such as measurements.
Mª Angeles Zorrilla Lopez-Perea
University of Malaga
(only one point). maybe there is a difference to state how the image was made and how the scale could be, even though the scale bar is almost approximately at the same level each time. STM, (scanneling Tuning Microscope, false colour, the blacvk and white images, maybe the microscope taken with this 10x, objectives, and so on.All these give ideas on how the scale bars are.... even though I think it is ignored data.
Hidaia Bakheat Zolain
University of Nyala
Yes scale par is imlortant to the research study
21st Oct, 2021
Davison Ramos de Almeida Junior
Central University of Paraguay
I just realized that legends on SEM images don't bring information if they were made using secondary electrons or backscater electrons. I figure that most of them are backscater electron contrasted but, who knows...
21st Oct, 2021
Mª Angeles Zorrilla Lopez-Perea
University of Malaga
Maybe gather as much information from the inscription...
syed jaffar abbas Zaidi
Dow University of Health Sciences

Life After Medicine: For Doctors Who Want a Trouble-free Transition Susan E Kersley. Oxford, UK: Radcliffe Publishing, 2010. ISBN-13: 978-1-846-19381-1. Price: £19.99. Pages: 144 (paperback) Moving on after medicine can be a challenge that most doctors face at retirement. Others may be forced to consider it because of life events or health proble...
Lynette Hunter and Sarah Hutton, eds. Women, Science and Medicine, 1500-1700. Glos.: Sutton Publishing Ltd.; dist. by Books International, Hemdon, Va. 1997. Pp. xx, 292. £14.99 paper. ISBN 0-7509-1343-6. - Volume 31 Issue 1 - Raymond A. Anselment