Question
Asked 21st May, 2017

Recruiting student-athletes for research for dissertation...need help.

Fellow researchers. I am a doctoral candidate and assistant professor trying to complete my dissertation to finalize my degree. I'm in the process of developing a new instrument and need help recruiting student-athletes for my study (I currently work at a very small private school with a limited number of students).
For my study participants (i.e., student-athletes aged 18+) need to complete an online survey, which takes about 10 minutes to complete. Please share the link to my study with any athletes you may know. I still need about 50 more participants to finish data collection. Participants who complete the study will be entered into a drawing for one of four $25 visa gift cards.
The link to the survey is http://tinyurl.com/PRKOATv2 

Mental Health Management In Sports
1 reply
  • Andreas Møller NielsenAndreas Møller Nielsen
Hi everyone
Is it possible for you to help me?!
I am conducting research on athletes for my master's thesis in psychology. However, recruiting enough athletes is moving too slowly. Can you help me by filling out my online survey and, if possible, sharing it with your network?
Everyone aged 18 and older can participate - athletes and non-athletes, both females and males (mostly interested in athletes at this point).
All athletes, from the recreational to the Olympic level, are eligible, and it only takes about 10-15 min to complete the survey - it is completely anonymous!
How to compare Spearman's correlations between dependent samples?
Question
  • Jess S. AitkenJess S. Aitken
I'm stuck trying to figure out how to compare Spearman's correlations for dependent samples.
I have an n of 57, and I want to compare two dependent Spearman's correlations with one variable in common. I use SPSS.
I've found this web utility (http://quantpsy.org/corrtest/corrtest2.htm) for calculation for the test of the difference between two dependent correlations with one variable in common, which uses Fisher's z-scores. First, each correlation coefficient is converted into a z-score using Fisher's r-to-z transformation. Then, they use Steiger's (1980) Equations 3 and 10 to compute the asymptotic covariance of the estimates. These quantities are used in an asymptotic z-test.
It doesn't specify whether it's appropriate to use for Spearman's or Pearson's correlations, and as it seems using Fisher's z-scores is appropriate for comparing independent Spearman's correlations, and the tool doesn't specifically say it's for Pearson's correlations, I'm wondering if this method is appropriate for what I'm trying to do.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Despite the fact that many online surveys today rely on online access panels, previous studies have primarily examined what makes respondents answer online surveys, rather than focusing on the recruitment process to such panels. One common method is to recruit panel members through another online survey. Through an experimental 2 3 design, we exami...