Started 4th Jun, 2021
  • Islamic Azad University, Sarab Branch, Sarab, Iran

Reasons for the tendency to indigenous architecture

Hello dear researchers and enthusiasts in the field of indigenous architecture
To answer this question, we can say that in indigenous architecture, by applying old principles and traditions in a modern way, these shortcomings can be eliminated. As a result, indigenous architecture was seen as a resource for finding solutions to some of the shortcomings and problems of modern architecture, as well as identifying the structure of society in different parts of the world.
Given the positive aspects of this type of trend, paying attention to this issue can lead to appropriate solutions to address many climate issues. These include heat and cold comfort, air conditioning and. . . Cited.
- With the growth and expansion of modern architecture and the appearance of its defects and shortcomings, architects decided to eliminate these shortcomings and deficiencies, so they turned to native architecture.
I am waiting for your interesting topics, dear ones from different parts of the world.

Stephen Makama
M. Agwai I Polytechnic , Lafia + Center for Earth Construction Tech., Jos, Nigeria
Absolutely Hadi! A case in point is the use of the Architectural Data Handbook by Nuefert. During my undergraduate studies it was the Rule without Exception. Being an African I sometimes come head to head with some peculiarities demanded by many domestic and and anthropometric activities in design for a local African consumption. I was privileged to come across an African architectural data document which addressed so specific details peculiar to requirements in a typical African home- contemporary and traditional.

All replies (10)

Stephen Makama
I am more excited that in Retrospect it seems indigenous Architecture and architectural technology addressed a need when seemingly no ' technology' was evident. The more I read up about indigenous Architecture/ technology the more I am enlightened. I am particularly interested in the work of Prof Ron Eglash on Fractals and Traditional African Architecture. That is conceptually at the macro level, but this goes on to materiality at the micro levels where type of construction materials , orientation of dwellings etc were significantly and deliberately factored.
Hadi Farhangdoust
International University of Imam Reza
I have recently done some research on the ecological design process.
But now I have written an article that comprehensively examines the theoretical foundations of architecture and the indicators that affect it in the contemporary era (from pre-modern to post-modernism). In a way that the reason for creating different styles in design, research methods, architectural teaching methods, etc., is revealed to researchers in a special way. That is, the indicators of this diversity and various changes have been studied simultaneously and their effects have been systematically identified.
but now, about your question, I think:
1- The meaning of beauty in the eyes of society and subcultures has caused a reaction to ignoring them in the era of modernism.
2- Increasing the production and construction costs of houses due to economic problems and increasing the class gap between people, causes the need for cheap but beautiful and functional houses and updating the design and materials. All of this can be accomplished in a non-institutional way without having a specific government organization or institution. Only from the community of architects and civil engineers and employers. So the way is simple, accessible, profitable and fast.
3- Communication with nature and society in modern structures was in a special way. That is, it was artificial and engineered. But in ecological ways, in most cultures, it is organic and in the way of materials and coatings that are more related to nature. That is, both generalities and architectural details show their connection to nature to the audience.
Maged Mikhael
Canadian International College
In my opinion, a strong reason for the tendency to indigenous architecture is: Indigenous architecture is just a simple, direct, and satisfying solution to different contextual constraints (e.g., Structural, technological, and environmental influences).
Stephen Makama
@Hadi I am for giving practitioners of the tech full and unalloyed credit for those ' simple ' solutions of the day then... We celebrate such innovations today with aplomb and fanfare. I feel we should recognize that it was a deliberate thinking process that brought about such concepts.
Hadi Farhangdoust
International University of Imam Reza
In modern times until now, the expansion of communication between societies has brought them closer to the dominant culture in advanced societies. This change in people's attitudes and lifestyles has led to a change in body and space planning in architecture. Those involved in various technologies in the construction industry, using the breadth of international culture and architectural style, have produced simulation and modeling software that plays a complementary role in cultural change. However, it has increased the efficiency of the design process. But it could not replace the traditional and indigenous methods. I explained the reasons for this above.
Mohammad Gholmohammadi
Islamic Azad University, Sarab Branch, Sarab, Iran
Thank you dear Hadi.
Please mention case examples in this context along with reasons and solutions for native contemporary architecture if you have access or know of a case study.
Hadi Farhangdoust
International University of Imam Reza
there is many case sample in the United States, Australia, Aotearoa New Zealand, Canada, Arctic area of Sápmi and many other countries where Indigenous people have a built tradition or aspire translate or to have their cultures translated in the built environment. such as The Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Center by architect Renzo Piano, Nouméa, New Caledonia (Kanaky) .The complex was named after Jean-Marie Tjibaou, the leader of the independence movement (assassinated in 1989), who had a vision of establishing a cultural centre which included the linguistic and artistic heritage of the Kanak people.
Mohammad Gholmohammadi
The subject of indigenous architecture has been seriously considered by its enthusiasts since the 18th century and has continued to this day. During this time, the 1960s are of particular importance. During this period, studies and researches of indigenous architecture were carried out and pursued with a new goal and attitude. Until 1960, most studies on indigenous architecture were based on the personal interests and personal goals of a few enthusiasts. However, after 1960, as a result of the growth and expansion of modern architecture and the emergence of its shortcomings and the emergence of doubts about this type of architecture, studies of indigenous architecture with a new perspective and new motivations and on a larger scale by architectural researchers. Was considered. This attitude emerged not only in Western countries but also in developing countries and Islamic countries.
21st Jun, 2021
Hadi Farhangdoust
International University of Imam Reza
Yes. Absolutely true Dear Mohammad Gholmohammadi
Stephen Makama