Started 13th Jan, 2021

PhD vs MPH in global health

One of my dearest professors has recommended me to a global health professor in a great US university to pursue a Ph.D. in global health. And, the second professor also is inviting me to apply there. What is your opinion about a Ph.D. in global health? Do you think it is not a time-wasting process to follow global health in an academic setting? Some say, for global health, you should be in the playfield and not in the classrooms! What What do you think? Also what between Ph.D. and a MPH in global health? Please share your opinion; your thoughts are constructive for me.

Rıdvan Ot
Sağlık Bilimleri Üniversitesi
PhD allow that you have been an ability what is you show your experience and talk to others who have worries alike yours. It's excellent oportunity to dissussion about global health.

All replies (5)

Ilan Kelman
University College London
The PhD is entirely what you make of it. Ensure that you are following your interests and your passions, while setting up jobs at the end of it. Be neither ashamed of nor constrained by a specific topic name, such as "global health".
I am a Professor at an Institute for Global Health https://www.ucl.ac.uk/global-health with a thriving PhD programme.
Dear Dr. Ilan Kelman
Thank you very much for your comment? How is this in the field disaster and health? does it contain a same pattern?
Andrew Paul McKenzie Pegman
University of Auckland
Study what you enjoy :)
Ilan Kelman
University College London
Hossein Akbarialiabad Yes, the same comments apply to disaster research and to disasters and health--which is exactly my position and my career! But the advice from Andrew Paul McKenzie Pegman is perfect. Do what works for you and make it work for others--exactly as with combining global health and disaster risk reduction.
Rıdvan Ot
Sağlık Bilimleri Üniversitesi

In this opinion paper, we reflect on global health and global health education as well as challenges that the coming generation are likely to face. As the field is rapidly changing, it is vital to critically reflect categories of “global south” and “global north” as geographical boundaries, and rather think in terms of inequalities that are present...
Purpose In response to the emergence of a strong cross-border student flow of postgraduate students from mainland China to the Macau Special Administrative Region (Macau), this study examines the motivations and experience of a special group of doctoral students: college teachers working in Guangdong Province and simultaneously pursuing PhD degrees...