Question
Asked 16th Oct, 2016
  • Syntronic Research and Development Canada

Need understanding about RSSI signal?

The Definition of RSSI is 'Total received wide-band power by UE'
1. I have confusion in understanding that what is meant by wide-band here.
My understanding is as follows
  • In case if Carrier Bandwidth of LTE channel is 10 MHz,total bandwidth is 10 MHz and hence RSSI is calculated for all the all the Resource blocks i.e. 50 RB
  • Each RB has 12 subcarriers. Hence for 10 MHz channel, 50 RB are dedicated => 12x50 = 60 subchannels
  • Finally (Assuming same Pt for all subcarrier) Pr = Pt*(c/4*pi*d*F*)2 . What is the F should I put and is this the right way to calculate the Pr? In my opinions F = 15KhZ. Where Pr is Received Power per subcarrier by UE. (Using 
  • Finally RSSI = Pr*12*50  [ or dBm 10*log10(Pr) + 10*log10(12*50) ]
2. Or RSSI is calculated in any different way in simulation / How can I make simulation model to calculate RSSI. Do I have to make a model with a complete RB with all Resource Elements (RE). If yes, then do I need to do the scheduling as well?
3. How can I calculate SINR with RSSI?
Thanks
Shan

Leo Richter
Universität Regensburg
If you have found your answer by now, please let me know.
I do have the exact same problem regarding the choice of frequency to calculate RSSI.

Zoubair Boulahia
Université Hassan II de Casablanca
Look at this file it may be helpful. Good luck.
Shan Jaffry
Syntronic Research and Development Canada
@Zoubair Boulahia.
Thank for your code.
However, every comment is in Chinese. Although I have translated it with google Translator. However, it would be quite helpful if you can give a little summary of how it is helpful to me in understanding the RSSI?
23rd Nov, 2016
Prabir Banerjee
Heritage Institute of Technology
'RSSI' is the abbreviation for Received Signal Strength Indicator. It is a DC signal and is generated in the first IF processor IC in the receiver of a super heterodyne radio. It is calibrated and data sheet of the IC gives the linear relationship between SNR value and RSSI voltage.
Now, the RSSI voltage corresponding to the threshold value of SNR is known and so this value can be used for other calculations.
Just as SNR will peak for a particular frequency RSSI will also follow the same pattern. The 3-dB bandwidth for the radio will be about 10 KHz. If the radio is designed for broad band operation, the performance will remain steady within the declared BW (maybe 10 MHz for high band set).
Leo Richter
Universität Regensburg

We present a new simulation model for ns-3 aimed at the simulation of the data plane of LTE-EPC networks. Built on our prior work that dealt mainly with the PHY, MAC and Scheduler functionality of LTE, this new model adds sup-port for the LTE RLC and PDCP protocol, together with EPC data plane features such as the S1-U interface and the SGW and PGW...
Conference Paper
This paper describes the use of Boundary Clocks for clock distribution (phase/time transfer) in telecom networks. The technology is primarily used to meet synchronization requirements of mobile systems such as TD-SCDMA and LTE, and to reduce the use of and dependency on GPS systems deployed in base stations. We describe the most important functions...