Started 9th Jul, 2021

Is the use of English in scientific articles a real need for an international working language, or a sign of long-lasting Colonialism?

Is the use of English in scientific articles a real need for an international working language, or a sign of long-lasting Colonialism that keeps limiting the development of perspectives emerging from non-native English speaking cultures?
Do we really need to publish in English? I think we do unless we find another international working language to communicate with colleagues, and people in general, who use a language different than ours. Remember that, throughout history, scholars have always found one or a small group of working languages to communicate with each other (Latin, German, French, among others).
But, now that we use English, ... do we have alternatives to communicate our findings in our own language? Some people say we don´t because we have to invest every second of our time publishing in English. Some others say that we must find a way to save some time to publish in our language in order to better develop our ideas and to better communicate with our own societies. There must be other perspectives out there....please, let us know what would you do to reconcile the different alternatives, and bring solutions into practice, and also tell us what are your institutions doing to address this issue.
Framework Readings (feel free to suggest more. I´ll keep adding):

22nd Dec, 2022
Takao Asanuma
The Open University of Japan
I write in English. I am interested in the harmful effects of authority and money on science. I ask everyone. Do you only search for scientific papers in English? Do you also search for papers in other languages? Do you think that it is inevitable that citations are missed for papers not written in English? Is this because of efficiency issues? Or do you think that if it is not in English, it is not a paper?

Popular replies (1)

31st Jul, 2021
Gabriel Enrique De-la-Torre
Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola
Regardless of what English means in terms of colonialism, I am glad that the language of science has been standardized. Imagine making a literature search just to find relevant studies in more than 10 languages... Is necessary to discuss whether we need to migrate to another language? Perhaps if your findings are of national relevancy, you are absolutely free to publish your results in a native-speaking journal. On the other hand, if you are aiming at an international audience, English-based journals are the go.

All replies (43)

Mayowa Akinlotan
Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt Germany/University of Texas at Austin
Both.
Mohamed Ben-Haddad
University Ibn Zohr - Morocco
Hello,
You have asked a relevant question dear Alejandro.
To address the world, we must publish in English! Then, we may translate the work or its highlights to local languages afterwards (Arabic, French, Spanish, German...). A revolution against English could take generations to have another worldwide scientific language. In my opinion, it is hard to find a language that can replace English.
I think the only way to rise other languages is to encourage the scientific translation as we do for other fields (sociology, philosophy, poetry,...), and why not create huge institutions and department specializing in that (create codes and dictionaries for each speciality..).
B. M.
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Interesting idea Mohamed Ben-Haddad Thank you for your input. It would mean a new job opportunity for many (translators specialized in different areas). However, I wonder how many institutions would be willing to invest to translate their scholars' articles. This would certainly vary among countries and depending on the institutional funding available. I know translations are common with books, but I guess it might be harder to sustain with articles, especially in an Era when scientists tend to publish so much in so little time.
31st Jul, 2021
Gabriel Enrique De-la-Torre
Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola
1st Aug, 2021
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Thank you for your insight Gabriel. I believe nobody disagrees about having a common working language (being English the current one). Notice that the Introduction to this discussion, the suggested readings up there (that already debated the issues you remark), and the previous discussion (see link above), support that. Nevertheless, there is plenty to agree and disagree about, for instance, the role of English in Science Communication within societies where English is not the first language but where there is a genuine need to discuss international issues and topics of global relevance that may or may not affect them directly.
It is clear what and how much we gain by using English. However, we (who work in regions with other languages than English) may rightfully wonder how much we are losing, not only in the translation (for instance to different local stakeholders), but also in the very process of creating science and scientific ideas, and in the process of debating and validating these scientific ideas. Among other things, we have the right to wonder who gets involved in those processes and who is kept out of them due to a lack of command of the English language. We should be able to brainstorm and debate about any possible alternative we can think of in order to ease our concerns.
2nd Aug, 2021
Daniela María Truchet
Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata
I think the arguments it's not rather a universal language it's a good scientific tool, it's whether our language it's being also colonized, and so our culture and natural resources. Sadly, that's indeed a fact, but the tools to evaluate us should change so we can publish in south American journals (like Ecología Austral, El Hornero, to name a few that are index in Scopus) using our own languages that aren't Q1. Sometimes it's better for students in their early careers and non-English speakers/readers. After all, we're being paid by the Argentinian state so I think we should publish in our own language by changing the rules of our evaluations to a fairer one. Besides we would put an end to the business of some journals that immediately returns our manuscripts aligning that the English isn't good enough and we should pay for a translator (I wonder what would happen if the review would be double-blind and they wouldn't know that we're Latins, he!) .
Abrazos!
22nd Aug, 2021
Chun-Ping Yen
Academia Sinica
Thought this article may be of interest to people here:
African languages to get more bespoke scientific terms (by Sarah Wild)
23rd Aug, 2021
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Thank you very much Chun-Ping Yen . This is an excellent material to fan the flames of this discussion. I´d love you to share with us what you think about it too.
Best
Ale
Ahmed El Hassani
Hassan II Academy of Science and Technology
In my opinion, the use of English in scientific articles should not be imperative. The language of science will always follow the center of the world's economy. It started with ancient Greece that sprouted the seeds of epistemology. Back then, the language of science was Greek. As the center of the world's economy shifted to the east due to rising eastern empires controlling trade routes, science followed. Consequently, the language of science became Arabic. That state persisted for a few centuries until the center of the world economy shifted again. The discovery of the Americas and the massive influx of gold that the west experienced started an enormous investment in scientific research in various areas. The language of science became Latin.
Nowadays, the United States is the current largest economy globally; the current language of science is by force of circumstance English. Thus, a new shift of the center of the world's economy would probably trigger a change in the language of science (perhaps the Chinese will take over! who knows?).
Communication, exchange, and interchange of data will always be the number one priority. Language must remain a tool and an enabler, not a roadblock. It is the only tool we have to convert our complex ideas into writing. Therefore, I would argue that we must leverage the language we master the most to convey our thoughts. This can be English in the case of some, Chinese for others, or French or Arabic, etc.
My answer to you would be: No, we are not obliged only to use English. We can use our native language too. Communicating in a native language allows more accessible communication and easier breakdown of complex ideas into writing. There is no lack of options; moreover, most Academies of Science have in their statutes the obligation to communicate in two, three, or even four official languages.
Juan Manuel Ríos
IMBECU (CCT-CONICET)
Thank you Alejandro Bortolus for this topic.
I agree with the premise= "...we must find a way to save some time to publish in our language in order to develop our ideas better and to better communicate with our own societies".
31st Oct, 2021
Leonardo Costa
Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense
It would be interesting if scientific journals allow us to provide a translated version of our papers to researcher from our country, perhaps in another journal or some national repository. It would be very useful especially for early-career students and for people (e.g. journalists) who seek to promote the scientific outreach.
Lokeshkumar P.
Karnatak University, Dharwad
Alejandro Bortolus,
I feel it is difficult to communicate in English as a non-native speaker of English. I have struggled a lot to write research papers in the English language, the grammatical errors, sentence errors, and even misleading understanding of the sentences that I have written are a few examples of the struggle. In my opinion, good research doesn't get affected by the language barrier.
I think all the world not just scientific world need a common languge to communicate with. We can’t exchange or master a lot of languages. Because nowadays the diversity of language is high so we need just one language, which all can master and which should be easy to learn, so for example arabic or chinese cannot be a common language, because they are very difficult to learn. And for scientific papers, if all of us write his papers in his native laguage, they will be limited to a small group of peaople, and I guess it can be difficult for non-native readers. In addition, at present, English is the language of the dominant economic power and it has imposed itself and is fulfilling the function of scientific tool.
Haseeb Javed
Sungkyunkwan University
There are some obvious advantages of having English as the language of science. ... Having just one language as the “official” scientific language also expedites the process of communication between scientists, who all have crucial new information and research to share with the rest of the world.
Juan Manuel Ríos
IMBECU (CCT-CONICET)
is a sign of long-lasting Colonialism... indeed
Takao Asanuma
The Open University of Japan
論理的思考ができる母語(日本語)で書きます. 私は生態学を学ぶ大学院生です. 英語は同じ専門の論文は読めますが,会話はできません. 私は大学入学以降,語学よりもフィールドワークを優先してきたため,英語は論文のようなある程度定型的な表現に限って理解できます. ただ日常会話や小説のような一般の英語はほとんどわかりません. 現在,再び英語の勉強を再開しています. 目標は英語話者の中学生レベルです(TOEFL高得点以上と20000語の語彙). 現在までに3600時間を費やしましたが,日本語話者にとってはおそらくこの3倍以上必要と考えています. 研究者としてこの時間はとても大きな犠牲です. 私の周辺には語学に長けて論文の扱いに慣れている研究者が多くいます. でもその反面,フィールドワークを得意とする人は少ないです. 私も英語の勉強を再開して実感していますが,語学を並行して行うとどうしても時間の掛かるフィールドワークを疎かにせざるを得ないことが分かってきました. これは私の生態学にとってとても大きな損失となっています. このトレードオフ,どちらを優先するべきなのか?悩んでいます. また翻って日本の生態学者に物足りなさを感じさせるの原因の一つではないかと考えています.
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Dear Takao Asanuma, thank you very much for your frank response. As you will see in this article
I understand what you say. I wish I have an answer (or a solution) to your concerns but I haven´t. Nevertheless, I can see you have your priorities in order and I congratulate you on that because I am convinced that part of the answer to this debate goes around knowing our priorities at every given moment throughout our careers.
I think the storyscape framing this debate changes rapidly and we may find ourselves in the near future having a conversation in our own languages with the help of accurate/efficient online translator applications (accurately and open access). Brindo por que esto ocurra más pronto que tarde! Ale
Michael Buchwitz
Museum für Naturkunde Magdeburg
One option could be: Make English yours wholeheartedly - including the poetic fabric - and, when it is yours, shape the language by introducing loan words from your mother tongue. True bilinguality or multilinguality as a goal for training could mean that you become so familiar with the other language that thoughts, feelings and technical terms fly between languages almost without a barrier.
Antonio Alejandro Vázquez Perera
Pedro Kourí Tropical Medicine Institute
As a non-native English-speaking person, I am fine with using English as an international scientific language to communicate results. What I believe should be avoided is the business that comes after when journals ‘offer’ English smoothing services…editors/reviewers that are not even willing to make the slightest effort to understand a sentence because it lacks a letter… If the paper is scientifically sounded, with all the money behind scientific journals and publishers, they might very well cover this issue (but I believe this is a topic for other discussion).
Cheers,
Antonio
Francisco Kuhar
INNOMY Biotech
I think it was really sad to see the botanical community so happy some years ago, when Latin descriptions of species where replaced with English text. I agree it is easier now, but that was the only relict of a common language other than English. We all should see these these changes fom a political point of view.
Tilo Henning
Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research
Francisco Kuhar: "a common language other than english"... well... latin is anything but a common language. It was an elitist relic handed down for generations by old white scientist that was long overdue to overcome. It has hampered biodiversity research unnecessarily and was particularily painful for younger scientist from developing countries, where old white (e.g.) botanist were scarce and couldn´t be asked for help.
And I don´t really see a really strong connection between the english language and colonialism. Sure England had colonies, but there were not the only ones. What about spanish or french or even german. Is the scientific community in latin america honestly in favour of publishing in e.g. Qechua? Or are they perfectly happy with the colonial spanish or portuguese? No matter what the reasons are that english prevailed as THE scientific language, I think it is beneficial for the whole mankind if we can agree on (ideally) one language to share ideas and data. English is a good choice for that and I hope that we can, in the name of science, ignore such attempts to undo history when it obviously only leads to chaos and setbacks. As recently proposed for the priorization of indigenous names over accepted taxon names that are the result of complex processes in systematics and taxonomy over centuries.
Juan Contreras
Ensenada Center for Scientific Research and Higher Education
Before English, it was German. The phrase “quantum mechanics” was originally coined in German; “quantenmechanik” was first used by Born In the 20s’. Previous to that, it was Latin. Famously, Newton wrote his Principia in Latin. Arabic preceded Latin for a while and, of course, Greek was the language of choice in times of Alexander the great. Then, in parallel, you have Chinese in the Far East, but that’s an entirely different history altogether.
Takao Asanuma
The Open University of Japan
Dear Alejandro Bortolus, お返事頂きましてありがとうございます。あれから教えていただいた文献などを読みながらいろいろ考えていました。私は共通言語としての英語は必要だと思います。何を優先するべきか迷っていましたが、やはり、私は英語を学ぶしか無いのだと考えるに至りました。DeepLなど現在は機械翻訳も使えて大変便利になりましたが、では英語はもう覚えなくていいのか、と言うとそれは違うかもしれません。なぜなら科学の進歩には日常の会話から得られる糸口は少なくないからです。日常会話で論理的思考のできる言語が共通言語である必要がある、と言うことです。エスペラントやオグデンなど英語を母国語としない人のために開発された言語もネイティブの日常会話においては十分ではないと考えます。少なくとも科学においてはネイティブイングリッシュに近づくしか無い。つまり、ジョークもまた科学の一部だと言うことです。
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Dear Takao Asanuma I have to say I am enjoying and learning a lot from your replies. Thank you very much for that. I understand what you say and I'm trying to imagine a daily conversation with you, speaking in Spanglish and Japanglish(?) respectively, and I'm sure we'd do just fine. Besides, face-to-face conversations are assisted by body language and facial expressions that improve peoples' communicational skills. Perhaps, non-native English Speakers (non-NES) may require longer meetings to fluently discuss and debate a given scientific topic, but we can do it, and have the job done. This already happens in international organizations like IPBES, UN, etc. At every international conference I attend, I converse in Spanglish with nonNES about trivialities but also about critically important issues. However, I agree with your perspective and I, too often, wonder how much of those conversations are lost in translation. How much of the original thoughts and ideas (their quality, subtleties, and alternative meanings) are also lost in translation? I often see the weariness in the eyes of native English speakers, when I try to explain a complicated issue, and I know that weariness will interfere with the understanding of my speech. Let's not forget that English (like ours) is a living tongue, that evolves over time and no matter how good we were at learning it when we were young, we need to invest precious time throughout our careers to keep learning it. A time we could actually use to conduct more research, advise students, provide assessments, etc. Over the years accumulates an overwhelming amount of time. I think the rapid development of apps that instantaneously translate live conversations will improve the daily conversations you mention, and many other international (personal and institutional) interactions. In the meanwhile, I agree we need a working language and English is the one we use now (note: those who think this problem is about hating English are plain wrong). However, I worry about the fact that an important part of nonNES time (an important part of our productive lives) is dedicated to studying English, Spanglish, Japanglish, or whatever other xxxnglish, and I often wish we could give our time a better use.
David A. Donoso
Escuela Politécnica Nacional
Yo creo que no hay que mezclar la adopción del ingles (British) en el occidente (luego mundial) por una razón colonialista, con la estupidez de la gente de seguir pensando que esto es una colonia!!! El mundo es muy desigual y siempre va a ver ventajas y siempre van a ver gente que nace con más ventajas que otras. Un solo idioma hace bien a la ciencia, a pesar de las desigualdades que existen.
3rd Jul, 2022
Cenk Tan
Pamukkale University
Alejandro Bortolus I believe it's a good thing that scholars come together using a common language. If it hadn't been for English, it would have been another language. Still, I'm glad it's English. Regardless of colonialism, imperialism, nationalism etc., "Lingua Franca" is a necessity.
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
I thank all respondents for your insights and contributions to this RGDiscussion-debate. In order to make this exchange as clear and useful as possible, I friendly remind you to, please, take a look at the introductory paragraphs (above, next to the Discussion's title) and also at the previous contributions made by other colleagues, before you add new opinions/ideas.
22nd Jul, 2022
Julian Contreras
University of Concepción
based
23rd Jul, 2022
Hugo Asselin
Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
Some journals used to allow publication of abstracts in a second language (in addition to the English abstract). Some even allowed figure/table captions to also be translated. But this practice is unfortunately disappearing. Now that everything is online and that space is no more an issue (RE: printing costs), I hope the practice of publishing abstracts in alternative languages (maybe even more than one) will make a come back. It could contribute to decolonizing research, as studies conducted with Indigenous (or other marginalized) people could have their abstracts translated in their native languages, facilitating knowledge sharing.
2nd Aug, 2022
Jonathan Sandoval-Castillo
Flinders University
What about Esperanto?
João Bettencourt
University of Bergen
There are many advantages in adopting multilingualism in science. Most people focus only on the downside of it, but the shortcomings of communicating science in multiple languages can be easily addressed: abstracts in English can enable international dissemination of your work; simultaneous translation in conferences could be adopted so that speakers can address the audience in their mother tongues; journals can have their content translated to English either by themselves or by 3rd parties.
Tilo Henning
@Jonathan Sandoval-Castillo esperanto is a cute idea, but thats it. It is around for decades and never really prevailed despite the millieu. And why learn an artificial language if there’s an easy one we’re used to?
Roger Ledo
Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology, Brasilia
This is really a good topic of discussion and I would like to add another paragraph to it: global development vs. local development. The use of one single language (now English) allows a global development on issues of general interest. It allows the development of relevant knowledge, products and services at a global level. However, there is no need to think/talk about 'global development' if the 'local' is not improved as well. Publishing only in English in countries that do not have English as their native language excludes the local development. In countries with high social (and learning) inequalities, such as in Brazil (but also in several others), it can favor the perpetuation of social exclusion. This behavior may be one of the factors that explain why university extension to poor communities has never been so weak as it is now.
In my opinion, an investigator has an ethical obligation to contribute to the global and the local development as well. Therefore, the production of high quality content in native language must be imperative.
Esse é realmente um ótimo tópico de discussão! Gostaria de acrescentar uma outra percepção para o assunto: o de desenvolvimento global X desenvolvimento local. O uso de um único idioma (ex: inglês) permite o desenvolvimento global em questões de interesse geral. Permite o desenvolvimento de conhecimentos, produtos e serviços relevantes em nível global. Entretanto, de que adianta tratar sobre 'desenvolvimento global' se o 'local' não puder ser igualmente beneficiado? Publicar apenas em inglês em países que não têm o inglês como idioma nativo exclui o desenvolvimento local. Em países com altas desigualdades sociais (e de aprendizagem), como no Brasil (mas também em vários outros), isso pode favorecer a perpetuação da exclusão social. Esse comportamento pode ser um dos fatores, por exemplo, que explicam por que a extensão universitária para comunidades carentes nunca foi tão fraca como agora.
Na minha opinião, um investigador tem a obrigação ética de contribuir para o desenvolvimento global e local também. Portanto, a produção de conteúdo de alta qualidade no seu idioma nativo deve ser algo obrigatório.
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Thank everybody for constantly sharing your ideas and perspectives on this debate. Dear Roger Ledo thank you for your contribution. I fully agree with you. I will quote the concluding remarks o one of my articles:
"Thus, I suggest the following.
(1) non-NES scientists must exercise their legitimate
right to write and communicate their ideas in their own
language without negative feedback. (2) International scientific
editorials should help non-NES scientists to counteract
the loss of valuable local literature, historically
considered disposable gray literature, by encouraging their
citation and soliciting (through the ‘‘Guide for Authors’’)
electronic reprints to archive them as supporting material
with open access (a win–win situation). (3) Local non-NES
scientific institutions and editorials should support more,
and explicitly, the publication of books and review papers
in local languages to make this information more accessible
to laypeople and to promote the engagement of young
non-NES scientists in modern local schools of thought.
(4) Leading non-NES scientific journals and editorials must
pursue the creation of experienced and attractive editorial
boards willing to achieve the highest possible standard of
publication based on international counterparts. There is no
point in favoring publication in local languages if the
quality of the resulting papers will be mediocre. (5) Balancing
the number of publications in English with those in
local languages must be on the agenda of all non-NES
nations that aim to achieve the sustainable development of
local science in communion with society. Every non-
NES nation must determine its own optimal balance by
considering local socio-economic and cultural needs. By
achieving an appropriate balance between English and
non-English publications, democratic socially progressive
governments can enhance not only the interaction between
non-NES scientists and their societies but also the scientific
debates taking place in the local and global scientific
communities."
Jonathan Phillips
University of Kentucky
I just posted a blog based on/inspired by this discussion. It can be found here: https://geography.as.uky.edu/blogs/jdp/esl-english-scientific-language
V. Yu. Ratnikov
Voronezh State University
I absolutely agree with Jonathan Phillips' suggestions, especially the last points. English speakers are in a privileged position. Their article will not be rejected due to language errors, although the level of language proficiency varies from person to person. Non-English authors face the verdict "bad English". At the same time, reviewers do not say what exactly is bad and in what place. It can't be all bad! This is like pulling money for translators, is not related to the scientific value of the article and discourages writing articles in English. The reviewer wrote to me: the author uses obsolete words. Which, where? I have 6000 words in the article. Are they all outdated? It would be right for editors and reviewers, spared the need to write in a foreign language, to help those who are forced to write in English.
Alejandro Bortolus
Centro Nacional Patagonico
Dear Jonathan Phillips I'm honored and happy to know this RG Discussion inspired your blog. That's the spirit! inspiring each other in a constructive way will make a difference.
Jonathan Phillips
University of Kentucky
Thanks to you, Alejandro Bortolus Alejandro Bortolus, for bringing this issue forward!
Michael Maia Mincarone
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Interessante tópico de discussão, especialmente se considerarmos que todas as revistas científicas com alto fator de impacto somente aceitam publicar artigos submetidos em Inglês, incluindo as editoras baseadas de países que não falam esta língua. Mais do que uma prática que facilita a comunicação, o uso do Inglês é hoje uma imposição do mercado editorial.
Ruben Collantes
Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina
Greetings Alexander, In my opinion, it is important that researchers master both English and other languages, which makes it easier to share their scientific contributions, as well as being able to understand what may be developing in other countries.
On the other hand, it is important to make contributions in our respective countries with our native language, for which there are alternatives of indexed journals that publish in different languages, being the standard to include the abstract in English so that those who do not speak our native language , they can also understand at first glance what we are investigating.
Very interesting topic for reflection.
Best regards,
Rubén
Daniel Araújo
Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la Mer
I think standardization is advantageous to share knowledge, but when I see national Brazilian journals, without recognized relevance to international researchers, decide to use english, I judge a mistake.
Some knowledge production in our language is necessary, even to adopt new therms. From an epistemological perspective, the only english thinking mode in reasoning can limit new concepts. For examples, photoelectric process is a word derived from German, used by Eisten, and that use to merge words. The concept was born in german language and facilitated its compression.
1st Dec, 2022
Rodrigo Maia-Nogueira
EcoBioGeo Meio Ambiente & Mergulho Científico
Vamos à polêmica .. e em português!
Acho que a discussão não é sobre ter ou não um idioma único como boa prática para a comunicação científica mas sim sobre o processo de imposição da língua inglesa como idioma oficial de comunicação global, independente de ja ter sido o latim, o grego, o alemão, ou outros é sempre um reflexo de um projeto de colonialismo.
Mas é tão ruim assim não ter um idioma único, padronizado?
Usar a desculpa que se cada um escrever no seu idioma vai ficar complicado porque a "maioria" dos pesquisadores vai precisar recorrer a tradutores para conseguir ler é muito cômodo para quem é nativo ou fluente no idioma inglês e demonstra que estes ignoram a realidade atual onde a maioria de fato já recorre a tradutores para ler e o pior, para escrever em idioma inglês.
Inclusive seguindo essa lógica, como escrever utilizando tradutores geralmente rendem uma resposta dos referees "poor english" se cada autor cientista escrevesse o seu artigo no idioma que domina e todos (exceto os nativos no idioma) continuarem a usar tradutor para ler estes artigos (como já o fazem hoje), vamos ter artigos muito mais bem escritos, a ciência só ganha com isso.
A comunicação científica, a divulgação do trabalho, esse sim precisa ter uma versão em alguns idiomas chave como o inglês, o chinês, o espanhol e o hindi (ditando os mais falados no mundo atual), entre outros através de releases e outros documentos de divulgação.
22nd Dec, 2022
Takao Asanuma
The Open University of Japan

-----

Future English teachers need to have excellent communication skills in English at all costs. One of the important skills to master is speaking because it represents teachers' overall competence in the eye of the students. This study aims to identify the initial speaking ability of future English teachers in the first semester of their study. This s...
Conference Paper
Being anxious to speak in English is quite common among second language learners. Often, students are reluctant to use the language and find it difficult to express their thoughts in English. With the aim to improve the researchers' pedagogical approach, the general objective of this research was to encourage students to use English orally. Using K...