Question
Asked 31st Dec, 2020

Is it correct to put the subjects randomly in the database to make the correlation between variables?

I am studying the relationship between psychological capital and academic performance in adolescents. I asked the maths and language notes from some high school directors. One of them, instead of giving me math and language notes of 85 subjects, he has given me the notes of only 84 and randomly due to the confidentiality of the data. When I ask him why, he answered me that I don't need it. This is what he told me: "I tell you anyway. At the agreed date there were 84 subjects. Therefore the last subject does not count and I will not look for his notes. I put the notes of each subject in the corresponding box, numbered the subjects and put them in a random order but keeping the whole line of variables. So you don't need the names and so anonymity is preserved. Jaumen." Now, my database don't match with the database that the director has given me.

What statistical tests/analysis can I do here?
Question
  • Lucky SibandaLucky Sibanda
My master’s thesis generally focused on the pre-enrolment factors influencing academic performance. I graduated but would like to understand further the possible inferential statistics I could have performed, whether relating to my research topic or not necessarily addressing my topic. Currently, I am exploring my questionnaire for possible statistical analysis. I recently realised how generous people are on RG in guiding those who need help, like in my case, and would like to tap into their expertise. I had slightly over 200 undergraduate students studying an entrepreneurship qualification and had missing values on some variables.
My questionnaire is structured in the following manner:
Section A (Demographics)
  • Level of study (five categories)
  • Gender (dichotomous – Male/Female)
  • Citizenship (dichotomous – Country A or Not-country A)
  • Age
Section B (Profile of students before being accepted at a university)
The section had nine dichotomous items (Yes/No)
  • Four items relate to admission entry requirements
  • One item relates to whether students completed their high school in rural or urban areas
  • Four items relate to career aspirations (what the student wanted to study and where)
The following sections C, D and E relate to the perceptions of the students (Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree)
Section C (Issues experienced at high school level)
  • Six items made up of four-point Likert type question
All the items relate to issues that influenced student performance during their high school studies
Section D (Entrepreneurial attributes)
This section had ten items (4-point Likert type questions)
  • All tested the entrepreneurial attributes of the students
e.g. (i) I am confident in my abilities to succeed; (ii) I find it difficult to adapt to change
For the above two questions, a score of 4 confirms the skill for item, (i) while it confirms the lack of the item skill (ii). So, five items were asked following item (i) style while the other five followed the style on item (ii)
The aim of the above style of presenting statements was to ensure that participants read all the statements.
Section E (Student support and development)
This section had nine items (4-point Likert type questions)
  • Four of the items measures the uptake of the support rendered by the institution/department
  • Two items measure how the students have adapted to the curriculum offered in line with their career goals
  • Three items relate to the three teaching methods
I am using SPSS and SPSS Amos to analyse my data. I would appreciate some guidance on the applicable inferential statistical analysis.

DESIGNED TO DETERMINE THE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN CHANGES IN ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AND INTELLECTIVE AND NONINTELLECTIVE FACTORS. 7TH-GRADE STUDENTS WERE TESTED WITH THE PERSONAL VALUES INVENTORY SHORTLY AFTER THE 1ST 7TH-GRADE MARKING PERIOD. FACTOR ANALYSIS IDENTIFIED 4 FACTORS: INTELLIGENCE-ACHIEVEMENT, ACADEMIC MOTIVATION, ACADEMIC PLANS, AND YOUTH...