Started 20th Mar, 2020

Is it applicable if we use Low level laser therapy (LLLT) in COVID-19 pneumonia?

Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult. 2001 May-Jun;(3):15-8.
[Laser therapy of elderly patients with pneumonia].
[Article in Russian]
Lutaĭ AV, Egorova LA, Shutemova EA.
Abstract
The aim of the study was to evaluate the efficiency of laser therapy included into the treatment of pneumonia in the elderly. A follow-up included the analysis of their clinical status and external respiratory function, pulmonary blood flow, and immunological parameters in 2 matched groups of pneumonia patients aged 60 to 72 years. Low-intensity laser therapy (transcutaneous sliding contact procedure) was used as part of routine treatment in one of the groups. The findings demonstrate that non-drug treatment had an undeniably positive impact. There was an earlier regress of clinical symptoms and a sound recovery of functional parameters. In the absence of side effects of this method, these data allow infrared laser therapy to be recommended for rehabilitation of elderly patients with pneumonia.
Sov Med. 1989;(7):22-6.
[Intravenous laser therapy in multimodal treatment of acute pneumonia].
[Article in Russian]
Korochkin IM, Platonova TK, Kapustina GM, Belov AM, Alekseeva OG.
Abstract
Such therapy has been administered to 70 patients with acute pneumonias. 25 patients on traditional therapy have made up the reference group. The effects of laser therapy on the clinical picture, status of the coagulation system cellular and plasma factors, fibrinolysis, and on the blood stream at the site of the pneumonic involvement have been examined in the patients with acute pneumonias in single tests and after a course of treatment. Intravenous laser therapy has had a favourable effect on the clinical course of acute pneumonias, accelerating the terms of pneumonia resolution and promoting and earlier and more complete restoration of the blood stream and normalization of the hemostasis, in contrast to routine therapy.
PMID:2799521
Send to
Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Dec;28(6):763-71. doi: 10.1089/pho.2009.2638.
Low-level laser therapy associated to N-acetylcysteine lowers macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP-2) mRNA expression and generation of intracellular reactive oxygen species in alveolar macrophages.
de Lima FM1, Villaverde AB, Albertini R, de Oliveira AP, Faria Neto HC, Aimbire F.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
The aim of this work was to investigate the low-level laser therapy (LLLT) effect on alveolar macrophages (AM) activated by oxidative stress and lipopolysaccharide (LPS).
BACKGROUND DATA:
LLLT has been reported to actuate positively relieving the late and early symptoms of airway and lung inflammation. It is not known if the increased MIP-2 mRNA expression and intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation observed in acute lung inflammation (ALI) can be influenced by LLLT.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Rat AM cell line (AMJ2-C11) was cultured with LPS or H(2)O(2) and laser irradiated. MIP-2 mRNA and ROS production in the AM were evaluated by Real Time-PCR and the 2',7'-dichlorofluorescin diacetate (DCFH-DA) respectively. The NF-κB protein in the AM was measured by the enzyme linked immunoassay method. To investigate the antioxidant effect of laser, the AM were prebathed with N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and then irradiated with laser. LLLT was also studied in the presence of an inhibitor of NF-κB (BMS 205820). In addition, the effect of LLLT on NF-κB protein was investigated.
RESULTS:
LLLT attenuated the MIP-2 mRNA expression and intracellular ROS generation after LPS or H(2)O(2). When the AM were pretreated with NAC, the laser effect was potentiated. BMS 205820 suppresses the effect of LLLT on MIP-2 mRNA expression and ROS generation, stimulated by LPS or H(2)O(2). On NF-κB transcription factor, both the LLLT and NAC reduced this protein in the AM exposed to LPS or H(2)O(2). The synergistic effect between LLLT and NAC on the reduction the NF-κB was also evidenced.
CONCLUSION:
Results indicate that there is a synergistic action of LLLT with NAC on MIP-2 mRNA expression from LPS- or H(2)O(2)-stimulated AM, and that both ROS intracellular generation and NF-kB signaling seem to be involved.
PMID:21142721; DOI: 10.1089/pho.2009.2638

23rd Sep, 2021
Brenda González-Hermosillo
International Monetary Fund
Where is the peer reviewed study?

All replies (18)

Karol Zlot
Medical University of Łódź
Yes, I am convinced that LLLT can help COVID-19 patients and save many lives.
Most reasearch shows that LLLT is beneficial on any inflammatory or infectious disease.
Also see this abstract:
I don't have ability to make clinical trial (LLLT in COVID-19 patients), but I can help to design it.
Soheila Mokmeli
Canadian Optic and Laser Center
Thank you for sharing this article.
Mohammed Ali Dheyab
Universiti Sains Malaysia
Good a proposal
21st Apr, 2020
Jehan Alsharnoubi
Cairo University
I am working in LLLT and have many published articles explain its antiinflammatory and antiinfectious effect. Yes I believe it could help!
22nd Apr, 2020
Soheila Mokmeli
Canadian Optic and Laser Center
Thank you for your feedback.
22nd Apr, 2020
Sylvester Jande Gemanam
Universiti Sains Malaysia
Yes Dr, i believe the LLLT is capable of treating Covid-19 patients based on my present research work the positive outcomes shows it can be applicable even in this case. More-so some reports on the temperature effects and relative humidity on Covid-19 survival has it that around 40 degree Celsius it mostly becomes inactivated, therefore i believe within certain emission parameters at initial stage can help in treatment.Since linac and radiotherapy from literature learnt can destroy the virus molecules and activity.
Scott Sigman
I am pleased to report under FDA guidance and with my local IRB approval we will be starting a controlled cohort study using class 4 laser therapy on COVID positive patients requiring Oxygen supplementation but not on mechanical ventilation. 20 patients will be enrolled 10 in the treatment group and 10 in the control. Lasering will start tomorrow. We will utilize prone positioning with a 20 by 30 cm lung field to both lungs. Treatments will occur over a 4 day window.
Soheila Mokmeli
Canadian Optic and Laser Center
Hi, I am very glad that you have started this. Could you share the link of this news with me. Here in Canada, I have submitted an article in regard to the laser therapy and COVID-19, I would like to use your work as a reference.
Thank you
Scott Sigman
Soheila Mokmeli have you been able to laser COVID patients? Our trial starts tomorrow.,
Soheila Mokmeli
Canadian Optic and Laser Center
No, we haven't, but I did conduct a study in Asthma with laser therapy. I designed a protocol for COVID-19 based on the research over Cytokine Storm and ARDS.
Serhat Sevli
Nehir Biyoteknoloji Ltd
Hello
We are also thinking about the same question.
Do you have any novel experimental findings?
Best wishes
Sergey Moskvin
Academy of Postgraduate Education under the Federal State Budgetary Unit “Federal Scientific and Clinical Center for Specialized Medical Assistance and Medical Technologies of the Federal Medical Biological Agency”
A special treatment technique for the prevention and treatment of patients with coronavirus COVID-19 has been developed. It is based on the research of Russian scientists and 50-year-old successful clinical practice. http://www.lazmik.ru/assets/templates/docs/Coronaviridae_SARS_COVID-19_LLLT_protocol_eng1.pdf
I am ready to discuss the results, justify the method and consult on techniques. Good luck and health to your patients.
Serhat Sevli
Nehir Biyoteknoloji Ltd
Hello Sergey
Would you please also share more results data of cure if possible.
Best wishes
Serhat
Sergey Moskvin
Hello,
There are no results yet, we've just started work. But we will report when there are the results.
Abhijit Mitra
University of Calcutta
No statistical validation yet
Soheila Mokmeli
Canadian Optic and Laser Center
Low Level Laser Therapy as a treatment for Covid-19 may seem a bit futuristic, but in today's crazy pandemic-driven world, it may take this kind of 'out of the box' thinking to get us through this crisis.

-----

The application of photochemotherapy in acute pneumonia is based on pneumonia pathogenesis and the mechanism of ALIB- (autotransfusion of laser irradiated blood) and AUVBI- (autotransfusion of ultraviolet blood irradiation) techniques. The ALIB is preferable since the technique requires no device sterilization. The complex treatment of acute pneumo...
Generation of active oxygen forms (AOF) in whole blood was studied in 63 patients with acute pneumonia and 72 asthmatics by chemiluminescence (CL) registration. CL intensity depended on the intensity of inflammatory process. Groups of patients with high and low blood CL were distinguished. In 35 patients intravascular laser exposure of the blood (I...