Question
Asked 9th Dec, 2018

Is there any study done on preparation of Innovation Index at metropolitan level with respect to Global Innovation Index (GII)?

For over a decade, the Cornell University, INSEAD, and WIPO, has been publishing Global Innovation Index (GII) Report consisting of a ranking system of world economies’ innovation capabilities and results. Furthermore, these ranking provides the scores based on a set of indicators analysed on national level. It has become a basis and reference for several studies and policy frameworks at national level for developed and developing countries. However, I am looking forward for the studies and projects done at metropolitan level in perspective of Global Innovation Index or studies which examines the indicators of GII at smaller level rather than national level.
I would be grateful for any suggestions/ideas ,
Peace!

Prerna Mandal
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Thanks for your reply Vitaliy!
Yes I have gone through the latest GII report 2018 edition, in which they have 'state of cluster development' as major part of discussion. In fact, Indian government has announced in 2017 to benchmark 'Indian Innovation Index' at state-level.

Ayyoob Sharifi
Hiroshima University
You may want to check these indices:
There are also some other tools focused on smartness and innovation. Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I hope you find them useful. Do you intend to develop such a tool for the metropolitan scale?
Prerna Mandal
Thank you Mr. Sharifi!
These are definitely useful and will be aiding in my literature review.
And yes, I am trying to develop a methodology on metropolitan scale. That is why looking for studies based on GII in smaller scale.
Best wishes!
Vitaliy Roud
Zagreb School of Economics and Management
In the recent edition GII had index for clusters and cities, it was very well met, so they will definitely expand in this area.
Prerna Mandal
Thanks for your reply Vitaliy!

The study aimed at identifying the effect of innovation on economic growth in developing countries, relying on it determinants, namely fixed capital formation, labor force, trade openness and the global innovation index (GII). The study relied on panel data for 32 developing countries covering the period (2011-2018). The FMOLS methodology was adopt...
The paper examines the impact of energy crisis on the world economy, particularly the less developed countries (LDCs). To clearly and fully understand the economic problems confronting LDCs in the era of energy shortage, it is necessary to formulate a general structural theory of economic development. A more comprehensive multidimensional indicator...