Question
Asked 11th Oct, 2017

Is there a standard word limit/ page limit for a Masters thesis?

Different Institutes follow different limitations on thesis writings. I would like to know if there is a standard word limit/ page limit for a masters thesis?

Armand Augustin Fondjo
Central University of Technology
Master degree dissertation: 30 000 to 50 000 words.
PhD/D.Eng Thesis: 70 000 to 100 000 words.

Jakob Cromdal
Linköping University
Hello,
There is no standard - and I don't see how there could be. It all depends on the thesis: its research questions, theoretical approach and, in particular, type of data and analysis (qualitative/quantitative/triangulated). You will find there is a great deal of variation between as well as within different universities and Masters programmes.
Mind you, writing up a coherent as well as succinct argument is part of the training, so it is generally good advice to try to keep word count as short as possible, without compromising the clarity of your argument as well as its empirical anchoring.
Hope this helps,
/jakob
Hein Retter
Technische Universität Braunschweig
No, there isn't-
Mustafa Ali Abuzaraida
Misurata University
It depends on the institute limit for master or Phd. Normally, they require number of words. While the much number should be advised to be reduced by the student.
Michael Issigonis
Brandon University
There should not be any such limit written in stone.
Mine was 168 pages (for the first) and 220 for my second. However, there were also a plethora of maps, pictures and tables attached (probably half as many as the pages of text in each case).
1st Aug, 2018
Mayank Pokhriyal
National Institute of Technology (NIT) Uttarakhand
There is no standard that tells us about the word limit. The thesis must be easy to read , clear explanation and not be too lengthy.
C George Thomas
Kerala Agricultural University
Thesis is a certificate that the author has been trained for doing independent research. A thesis is in the form of a report along with some mandatory certificates, which includes the findings of the research work done by the student in partial fulfilment of his/her academic requirement. The internationally accepted length of a Masters thesis is within the range of 40,000 to 60,000 words, mean being 50,000 words ( A page can accommodate 250 words (double space) or 500 words (single space).
Marko Mihaylov
University of Forestry
Agree with Mayank Pokhriyal. Most important is write the thesis very clear
Agnes WN Muthumbi
University of Nairobi
I would like to be advised on the criteria used to determine the number of appropriate pages for a masters thesis for those institutions that provide determined limits
1st Apr, 2021
Netra Bahadur Karki
International Christian University
It depends upon you. I plan around 8000 to 9000.
1st Apr, 2021
Kiprotich Kiptum
University of Eldoret
In my institution it is around 20 000 words including references.

Why is a potential Ph.D supervisor not answering to an email?
23 replies
  • Vincenzo SimeoneVincenzo Simeone
9 days ago I e-mailed a potential Ph.D. supervisor after reading about his research interests and publications. The following is the email that I have sent him
" Dear XXXXXX,
I am an XXXXXX student currently pursuing a B.Sc. in Biochemistry at McMaster University, with a current average of XXXXX, graduating in the upcoming spring. Modules covered in my degree include basic biology and chemistry, introductory immunology and virology courses, immunological principles in practice, as well as specific biochemistry courses on metabolism, stem cells, and protein structure and interactions.
I am strongly considering applying for a Ph.D. in Infection and Immunity at UCL. While browsing the Division of Infection and Immunity website, I noticed that your research of interest in T cell cancer Immunotherapy matches my desired area of specialization. In particular, I find the ideas of redirecting T cells against specific tumor malignancies, by using viral vectors to induce expression of TCRs and CARs to target specific antigens, co-stimulation of engineered T cells by cells in normal tissues, and CD3-enhanced T cells extremely fascinating and appealing as potential topics for a Ph.D. 
I intend to secure funding either through a UCL or Research Council studentship and would consider self-funding my Ph.D. as an alternative option. 
So far, my research experience includes an independent research project as well as a research thesis, which I am currently conducting, in a laboratory of Human Genetics and Mechanisms of Disease, XXXXXXXXXX.
I hope you do not mind my getting in touch, but I would like to enquire about whether you are currently accepting Ph.D. students who are looking to start a Ph.D. in fall 2020.
I am pleased to attach herewith my Academic CV, for your kind consideration, and would be delighted to discuss further details via Skype or by e-mail. 
I appreciate your time and help and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
XXXXXX"
Is there something wrong with this email that may lead the Professor to avoid replying? I feel like I have provided enough information for him to decide whether or not he is interested in me as a member of his team. I also feel like I have shown interest in his research interests. Is it too soon to send a follow-up email inquiring about whether he has read my first email? I don't want to be inappropriate or, even worse, stress him, as I understand faculty members are busy.
Thank you in advance for your answers and help