Question
Asked 15th Jun, 2016
Deleted profile

Is testing for molel specification important?

Hi,
If my model is based on theory do I still need to test the model specification formally and report it?

Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris
Well said John C.F.. Now Saadia knows that she has to do the tests and I hope she has gotten what she was looking for.

Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris
Dear Saadia Irfan,
Most modelers are typically careful in specifying their model assumptions but they rarely report results from sensitivity analyses. I may be wrong or right, but if by “testing the model specification formally” it means performing a sensitivity analysis, yes, you require to conduct an analysis to ascertain the robustness of your model.
Good luck.
by model specification I meant 'testing that the model does not have ommitted variables and also does not have extra variables' Usually this is tested by 'linktest' and ovtest' in stata...
Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris
Thanks for the clarification. Still, I think you need to test. There would be no harm in doing so. In fact, you will then know that you have the right number of variables, right?
Yes the model specification command is not difficult to conduct. However I have used a lot of sample data from internet and conducted this test and the test says the model is not correctly specified. I was wondering if there is any model which satisfies this test. One of my PhD fellows told me that if your model is coming from theory it does not matter if your model is not correctly specified (through this test). So I posted this question to check if this thing is true...
Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris
Can the PhD fellow collaborate with similar views from the literature what he/she told you. If yes, then you are ready to go. Otherwise, you need to research more.
I will also research on the same & get back to you. Good evening.
Well nobody states in the literature review explicitly thathe they have not performed this test. But I don't see this test performed anywhere....so I think the researchers don't care about model specification as long as their variables are coming from theory...but I'm not sure if I'm right...
Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris
Take it easy & also rest.
You should be sure, otherwise, you are giving people room to laugh at you; although sometimes it does not matter if they laugh or not.
Meanwhile, read:
Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D. A. Phillips (1986) Testing Strategies for Model Specification
Goodnight
Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris
Also:
J. A. HAUSMAN (1978) Specification tests in econometrics, Journal of the Econometric Society.
He says "SPECIFICATION TESTS FORM ONE of the most important areas for research in econometrics...."
Demian Tupac Panigo
National Scientific and Technical Research Council
Sadia,
There is a bulk of literature about this. A good starting point surely is: http://people.stern.nyu.edu/tcooley/papers/ath_mac_a_cri.pdf. Then, you can use it to search up (using google scholar citations) and down (using this paper bibliography) to improve your knowledge about this controversy.
Personally, I think it is necessary to combine both, theoretical and empirical insights. Candidate variables (potential covariates) should be selected from alternative theories (in your case, the underlying theory). But final model specification should not be selected without some data-validation.
For this reason we develop an automatic model selection technique (in Stata) called: GSREG (http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0383).
You can download it here: https://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s457737.html or just typing ssc install gsreg in STATA.
Hope it helps!!
Dominique Bouf
LAET, University of Lyon
I am quite old. In the ancient time, we used the term "structural model" would that be of some help ? 
22nd Jun, 2016
Dr. Arjun Yallappa Pangannavar
Kannada University, Hampi
I agree you Demian T P
22nd Jun, 2016
Dominique Bouf
LAET, University of Lyon
Dear Saadia,
I don't fully understand what do you mean by testing the model specification formally.
i meant 'checking if the model is fully specified-meaning it has no ommitted variables and no extra variables. normally this is tested using ovtest and link test in stata
John C Frain
Trinity College Dublin
Tests for heteroskedasticity, autocorrelation, omitted variables parameter constancy etc.  tests should always be used in econometrics. They can be regarded as both tests of a specific problem but also as general tests of the validity of the model. There are very few models based on economic theory that can be accepted without testing. If the data do not fit the model either your model or your data are wrong 
Keroboto B. Za'Ngoti Ogutu
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris

What are the components of the Empirical Research Paper?
Question
  • Ahmad BattalAhmad Battal
the components of the economic scientific paper may be:
1.Statement of the problem
2.Review of the literature
3.The economic model
4.The econometric model
5.The data
6.The estimation and inference procedures
7.The empirical results and conclusions
8.Possible extensions and limitations of the study
9.Acknowledgments
10.References

This paper comprehensively reviews how innovation and growth are modelled in theoretical and empirical literature. We distinguish between economic modelling (microfounded) and econometric modelling (ad hoc). The two modelling approaches are complementary to each other for their comparative advantages in causality identification and forecasting perf...
This paper explores approaches to model specification suitable for empirical investigation of a stochastic oil spill model. We focus on the effects of economic incentive measures on the frequency of oil spills, spill size, and volume of oil spilled. We look into the relationships between parameters that describe the spill generation process and the...
: The problem of solution of large and sparse models presents in many points a suitable structure for an implementation on parallel computers. However, an efficient use of these computing devices requires the code to be specifically structured in order to exploit the particular type of parallel computer used. The paper discusses the implementation...