Question
Asked 24th Feb, 2015
  • Tomsk National Research Medical Center

Is it possible to get DNA from gDNA eliminator spin columns (Qiagen)?

Hi!
I isolate tumor cells from breast tumor sections by laser microdissection and extract RNA by RNeasy Plus Micro Kit (Qiagen). But I would like to also get DNA from the same microdissected samples. For example, can I get DNA from gDNA eliminator spin columns, which are used to eliminate DNA from RNA samples in RNeasy Plus Micro Kit? Is it possible to elute DNA from these columns? Will such DNA be good for further molecular analyses?
Thank you in advance!

Morteza Zahedi
Academic Center for Education, Culture and Research
Hi Evgeny,
this topic is very old, but do you remember the results?
did you isolate DNA from gDNA eliminator column?
best

Popular answers (1)

Cristian Köpfli
University of Notre Dame
Hi Evgeny,
It is possible, I have used the following protocol. I don't think the DNA quality is as good as with a specific DNA extraction kit (I have only processed few samples), but better than nothing. As far as I know Trizol is very good for RNA, but not for DNA (e.g. hard to do Illumina DNAseq on samples extracted from Trizol).
This is the protocol:
Place gDNA elimination column on a washed S-Block, add 500µl AW1 Buffer (cat. No. 19081) to each well, seal with tape sheet and centrifuge at 6000rpm (5600g) for 2min.
Discard flow-through, add 500µl AW2 Buffer (cat. No. 19072) to each well, seal with tape sheet and centrifuge at 6000rpm (5600g) for 4min.
Discard flow-through, centrifuge gDNA elimination column for 4min at 6000rpm (5600g) with empty S-block to dry themembrane.
Place the columns on top of a 96-well master plate (Sarstedt, 72.1980.202): DNAplate_#_date
Add 50µl pre-warmed (~40°C) AE Buffer (cat. No. 19077) to the columns, incubate for approx. 30min, centrifuge at 6000rpm (5600g) for 4 min.
repeat step 5 to get 100µl coextracted DNA for rescuing some difficult genotyping samples.

Ricardo Frausto
UCLA
Evgeny, probably best to contact Qiagen directly to get a fast and accurate answer to your question. That being said, have you considered using Trizol/Tri-Reagent? You get both RNA and DNA (and protein if you are keen). 
Evgeny V. Denisov
Tomsk National Research Medical Center
Thank you, Ricardo! I tried Trizol, but it works no so good with small samples (300-1000 cells).
Cristian Köpfli
University of Notre Dame
Hi Evgeny,
This is the protocol:
Evgeny V. Denisov
Tomsk National Research Medical Center
Many thanks, Cristian, for the protocol! I will try it surely. But I think that DNA samples should be additionally treated with proteinase K to remove proteins with whom DNA can be bound.
Morteza Zahedi
Hi Evgeny,
best

-----
Appropriate display of qPCR results and statistics - how to balance mathematical correctness and conventions?
Question
  • Hannes HudallaHannes Hudalla
I have a question to Jochen Wilhelm and other experts in the field. I am a physician scientist currently working in basic science. We work on rodent experimental models and use qPCR a lot. We follow very stringent qPCR protocols with various reference genes for different tissues and cell lines. I believe our technical standards are good and our results are controlled for as many confounders as possible.
Reading high impact publications in our field I am often struck how little information is provided as to how qPCR data was analyzed. In expensive animal models or rare human tissue samples I understand the limitations on sample size and I acknowledge that whichever statistical test is applied, any conclusion on few samples should be taken with a pinch of salt. Again, statistical standards differ greatly between an exploratory n=5 rodent study or a n=5000 human biomarker validation for clinical application and I can live with this difference in statistical quality. 
Returning to my question: Dr. Wilhelm is a strong advocate of working with log values in qPCR data and I completely agree with this. It is a common practice to perform log transformation to reduce skweness or variation in data, so why transform log data to increase variation before analysis? Yet, it is common practice to show fold changes on a linear scale in the world of physicians and I have been criticized by reviewers for showing dCt values. I know it is correct and mathematically makes sense, but it is the reviewer and to an extent the (bad) convention that decides what and where data is published. So I am wondering what a good compromise between mathematical sense and convention could be.
My current approach: Perform statistics on dCt or ddCt values and mention this in the methods section accordingly. Then show 2^-dCt (or 2^-ddCt) in the figures. Mean and error are calculated from dCt values and then I use exponentiates of these values for my graph (because I am not interested in the mean of relative expression!). On the y-axis I use a log-scale in order not to underrepresent downregulated GOIs. So it leaves me with a graph of relative expression (or fold changes) with asterisks to indicate levels of significance from the log values. Is this a valid approach? I feel this might be a compromise between convention and actual mathematical sense. What do you think?

Traditionally, sperms are isolated from vaginal cell mixtures by preferential extraction methods. Although these methods work well when there is a reasonable amount of DNA present, they are problematic when there are limited amounts (ca. 250 pg). In particular, the analysis of sperm from microscope slides has proven difficult. Here, we describe the...
Laser microdissection and subsequent direct DNA amplification methods are both effective for plant genome research. By using these techniques, we isolated barley chromosome 6 and amplified the target gene, a-amyl. Barley a-amyl gene, encoding the high-pI a-amylase, has been mapped onto the long arm of chromosome 6 by Southern hybridization and isoz...
Molecular analysis of any type can be a labor-intensive, expensive technique. Despite the expense and time, molecular methods are becoming the norm in research and clinical laboratories. While performing these methods, laboratory personnel often seek ways to increase the specificity of the assay and the purity of the sample. Laser microdissection m...