Question
Asked 25th Jul, 2013

How to write a Statement about research contribution?

I need to submit a statement about research contribution for consideration in a medical fellowship programme/ award. Please do let me know as to how should I go about it. Is there any format for the same?

Tolulope Elorhor Obele
Nigerian Army University Biu (NAUB)
@ Siniša Srečec, thank you Sir for the insight and encouragement. God help us all.

Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
There is usually no prescribed format. (Ask!) Basically you should list your recent research publications, and include a full copy of a relevant paper. If you have supervised any students to completion, give the titles of their theses. Include a one page CV. Very important: include a 4-page research proposal, outlining the research you propose to do or continue. Include with a covering letter or covering E-mail. The committee will evaluate the person, the past, the project prognosis and practicalities and the probabilities.

Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
Gyanshankar Mishra
Indira Gandhi Government Medical College & Hospital, Nagpur
Thanks for reply.
Actually they have put a 500 word limit for the same.
Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
Make every word count.
Jaya Vikas Kurhekar
Dr. Patangrao Kadam Mahavidyalaya, Sangli
I agree with Ian and you could also add the titles of research projects , if you have completed any. Titles of posters or papers presented at research gatherings may also be included.
Shahzad Ali Shahid Chatha
Government College University Faisalabad
Good
Rajeshwari Banakar
B.V. Bhoomaraddi College of Engineering and Technology (BVBCET)
I agree that the attachments should be there in the research accomplishment. Writing  a Statement about research contribution should indicate the new findings with contrast to the existing works. The significance of the research work done should be indicated. The key ideas of the work done are stated in a nutshell of 500 words. The first paragraph should be the introduction to the main theme of the work with the specific goals of the design and development approach. 
Later each paragraph may be written on one main topic sentence indicating one salient contribution. One key idea of the work is filtered in one paragraph say 90-100 words.
The following urls can be used to gain further insight into writing the contribution.
1st Dec, 2016
Ashutosh Kumar Pandey
Banasthali University
This link can be used as a reference for the same.
David Olugbenga Adetitun
University of Ilorin
If one has so many articles it will be unrealistic to state or mention all of them.
Swasti Saxena
Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology
can second author (PhD student) of any paper can write the letter for research contribution for their paper to any faculty (who was not the author in this paper)? when the author is not a corresponding author (supervisor is corresponding author).
Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
Swasti Saxena The corresponding author is not the only person who has contributed to the research project. So, yes, a second or third author is entitled to cite the joint paper in the CV or application.
Sakhile Manyathi
Stellenbosch University
Mainly "Research contribution" is one of the main reason why a researcher conducts any research especially to the PhD level. This should be carefully crafted as it should be a "special addition" to the existing body of knowledge in the field i.e. no one could have potentially researched about it to an "exact" focus before.
Siniša Srečec
Križevci College of Agriculture
One of the best ways is to use so called 'five years track'. I will send you example from one my former project appication. In that example in Word format, you will find combination of short cv + five years track. Good luck, Siniša
Mahmoud Hamdy Abd El-Aziz
Plant Pathology Research Institute
I need to know how to write correctly. Thank you and Best regards.
1st May, 2020
Majid Moradi zirkohi
Behbahan Khatam Alanbia University of Technology
I agree that the attachments should be there in the research accomplishment.
1st May, 2020
Siniša Srečec
Križevci College of Agriculture
It's so easy, just write the real working and research contribution of each co-author of the paper. Besides, there are many journals which offer the possibilities for contribution for each co-author during the on-line submission of the manuscript. It is mostly the third or fourth step of online submission, depending of publisher, but it is always before acknowledgement to funding organization. So, when you fulfil all the boxes during the submission process, the software will send you to the next step to generate the pdf version of the manuscript. You may check all the details and if is so, you just have to click on 'Agree and submit', and, this is it. But the problems may occur when some of co-author’s might tell you as corresponding author; "Yes, but you know my dear colleague, I think that I contributed much more to this paper than you admitted to me in author's contribution". In that case you can always get away with the answer "Yes, I know my dear colleague, but unfortunately, the software for on-line submission did not offer me the opportunities to express the real value of your essential contribution on this paper. So, I was forced by software to use already prescribed opportunities of author’s contribution and I took this author’s contribution for you because it was the closest to your real contribution. I apologize but I had no other chance.” And the furious person will leave your office by slamming the door and you will have a peace of him/her about that issue. ;-) :-)
Tafadzwa Mushonga
University of Cape Town
How does one navigate this terrain when they are an early career scholar, particularly when the question comes together with listing your existing outputs, their contributions, and why they are important. I am a Post Doctoral Research fellow and using this postdoctoral period to publish. My PhD thesis was not by publication, so I am only beginning to publish. All articles submitted so far are not yet published. So essentially the only output I have is my PhD Dissertation. Will it be sufficient then, to reference contributions made through my doctoral study? I am applying for a research grant for Postdocs.
Maureen Orji
Universität Passau
I really need a clear understanding on original contribution.
Rajeshwari Banakar
Original Contribution
During the research it might be
1. Observation during the experimental phase that is unique.
2. Design procedure development which improved the process parameter.
3. Performance analysis metric which enhanced the design model inference
4. New design approach which significantly improved the performance parameter which was in the critical design path
5. Develop a process which improved the performance specifically to execution time
6. Improve an existing design method to increase the efficiency of the system
7. Develop a new design model which increases the product visibility
8. Present a unique way of analysis to prove that the design if included in the final design will significantly optimise the whole unit under consideration
9. Optimize the existing hardware infrastructure to pave way to reduce the design cost.
10. Develop a new algorithm to analyse the design which improves the efficiency
11. Propose a design technique which enhances the role of the prominent parameter of interest and increases the efficiency
12. Develop a software infrastructure to decrease the development cost
13. Design an analytical model which is innovative and new one.
14. Design a new approach for the problem on hand which improvises the design model and can be automated.
15. Develop a mathematical model for the design unit and apply to the unit under consideration.
16. Take the existing design. Come up with some modification which improves the sensitivity, reduces the error percentage of the previous design.
17. Propose solutions to the socio economic development of the regional community
18. Develop technical solutions to increase the social awareness in a chosen area
19. Develop creative ways of retaining the cultural importance of the region
20. Investigation on the existing works to propose new dynamic solutions, backed by sound mathematical model, proper reasoning and correct inferences.
Zaka Ullah
Alternate Solutions Institute
please explain in simple words that what is the role of contribution statement in research?
E.A. Oyekan
Olusegun Agagu University of Science and Technology
Basically, your research area is your first contribution to knowledge. Secondly your methodology on problems solve is another one. Did you used new methods or a better one? Lastly, if your research focuses on solving trending issues, it is also a contribution to knowledge.
Mohamed Samy ElDeeb
October University for Modern Sciences and Arts(MSA)
it is preferable for each author to write his role in conducting the research. just write the name of the author and list all the activities done by him\her.
Abdul Hamid Ganie
Saudi Electronic University
I think give your present work review and some significance about some recent research papers you have published.
Justice Mabesa
University of Derby
If you have not replicated your study, its findings are probably new and adding to the existing knowledge. The methods used to solve the problem(s) in your study are also contributing to the body of knowledge.
Muhammad Asim
Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology
Abubaker Hamed
Memorial University of Newfoundland
I think they need to know how is your publications contributed to the field of your study. You need to write what actually the studies you have published have contributed to the literature. Did you have a new strategy that can be used instead of old ones? Did you discover new information that has not been identified in your field? These kinds of questions will help you to write about your contribution. This what they need to know. They don't only need to know how many articles did you publish, they also need to know the contribution of these articles you have published to the field.
Firew Bekele
Hawassa University
There is no universally agreed format as your contribution varies in a varieties of factors like your subject matter to the study, your aim of the study and even in basic gap your study intends to bridge.
Generally, assuming that your study follows a scientific approach, what your study contributes to narrow or to bridge the science gap your stated is what commonly called your contribution to the science.
23rd Jun, 2021
Ansam A. Abdulhussein
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
should write your problem and technique used to solve this problem, and mention if you introduced any enhancement
Bankole Olagunju Faloye
Bamidele Olumilua University of Education, Science and Technology, Ikere Ekiti
Your area of study should be the first contribution to knowledge followed by gaps filled based on findings of the study. It's usually safer to avoid stuffing too many CoK in one sweep.
Omodele Adeyemi
babacock university
Your area of study / topic, methodology, problems identified and solved among others are your contribution to knowledge.
Haseeb Javed
Sungkyunkwan University
Writing a Statement about research contribution should indicate the new findings with contrast to the existing works. The significance of the research work done should be indicated. The key ideas of the work done are stated in a nutshell of 500 words.
Tolulope Elorhor Obele
Nigerian Army University Biu (NAUB)
I need to submit a statement of contribution alongside with my postdoctoral application. I am trapped on writing a statement of contribution. Please I need a bail-out with explanations and a sample.
Siniša Srečec
Križevci College of Agriculture
My dear Tolulope,
OK, it is happening to everyone. For the beginning take a deep breath. Then make a cup of coffee for you, or tea if you’re not coffee drinker. But I must warn you, if you’re not a coffee drinker you have no chance in science. That’s the true. OK I’m just kidding. No hard feelings please. Just rewind your movie back in last 5 or 10 years whatever and write what the hell you were doing through all these years, how did you contributed on project(s) you were working on it and what are your achievements. That’s all. Be honest and write only the truth. Otherwise, if you present yourself in ‘better lights’, yourmentor and colleagues in your host institution will ‘read’ you in first two weeks of your postdoc and trust me you will feel miserable. So, just write the truth, and the whole truth, so help you God. If the God decided that you will get this postdoc you will get it, with impressive, or average, or even poor contribution statement. If is not His will, you will not have it even if you invented the most efficient vaccine against Sars-Cov-2, Ebola, HIV and HPV viruses, all in one. So, write it NOW and good luck.
22nd Feb, 2022
Potlako John Mafa
University of South Africa
I have also learnt important points

-----

An important contribution to medical research in India has been done by the launch of DMRI (Database of Medical Research in India).India has the largest number of medical doctors and medical colleges among developing countries in the world, but the health indices are dismal. There are many reasons for the gloomy scenario and it is essential that re...
Research is an integral part of advancements in the field of medicine. Every medical professional including undergraduate and postgraduate students should undertake some research. An important requirement is an access to literature. Institutions and universities worldwide subscribe to e-resources that are made easily available to researchers. This...
The concept of Open-Access (OA) publishing was initiated in the early 2000s with the idea to provide free, equal, and OA of scientific knowledge to all communities and countries. The article published in an OA journal is freely available on the public internet and permits any users to read, download, copy, distribute, and print. The OA articles are...