Question
Asked 2nd Jan, 2020

How to determine the percent phenotypic variation explained (PVE) by a selected SNP?

Can anyone suggest a way to calculate PVE of selected SNPs in a GWA panel?
I know that some software (such as GAPIT) provide PVE as an output but I used EMMAX (which does not) to run the GWAS and I was wondering if there are alternative ways to calculate it...

Elena Feofanova
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Hello,
You can do so in the software of your choice using the formula:
Proportion of variance in phenotype explained by a given SNP (PVE) = [2*(beta^2)*MAF*(1-MAF)]/[2*(beta^2)*MAF(1-MAF)+((se(beta))^2)*2*N*MAF*(1-MAF)]
where:
N - sample size
se(beta) - standard error of effect size for the genetic variant of interest
beta - effect size for the genetic variant of interest
MAF - minor allele frequency for the genetic variant of interest
it is described in:
Shim, H., Chasman, D.I., Smith, J.D., Mora, S., Ridker, P.M., Nickerson, D.A., Krauss, R.M., and Stephens, M. (2015). A multivariate genome-wide association analysis of 10 LDL subfractions, and their response to statin treatment, in 1868 Caucasians. PLoS One 10, e0120758.
Supplementary Information: S1: Computing proportion of variance in phenotype explained by a given SNP (PVE).

Elena Feofanova
Hello,
where:
N - sample size
it is described in:
Ahmed Warsame
John Innes Centre
Hi Giovanni Melandri I am in the same situation where the R package (rMVP) for GWAS is not giving me effect size and se for all SNPs but p-values. So, I would like to know if you got a solution that you can share.
I don't think I can apply the answer by Elena Feofanova
Thanks.

Recommendations

Preprint
Population structure is widely perceived as a noise factor that undermines the quality of association between an SNP variable and a phenotypic variable in genome-wide association studies (GWAS). The linear model for GWAS generally accounts for population-structure variables to obtain an adjusted phenotypic variable which has less noise. Its result...
Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) have indicated potential to identify heritability of common complex phenotypes, but traditional approaches have limited ability to detect hiding signals because single SNP has weak effect size accounting for only a small fraction of overall phenotypic variations. To improve the power of GWAS, methods have been...
An important approach to reducing missing heritability and enhancing success of genome-wide association studies (GWAS) for complex diseases is the identification of traits that are highly heritable and homogeneous in their etiology. Many approaches have been proposed to define such traits based on either cluster analysis or pedigree-based heritable...