Question
Asked 8th Aug, 2018

How many papers do I have to read per month as a researcher?

Hi dear colleagues,
How many articles do I have to read per month as a researcher? Can you tel me how many scientific articles do you read per month?
Regards

Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
Thanks a lot for ur answer dear Dr. J. M. Koli.
Regards

Doha M Al Saffar
Al-Mansour University College
10- 20 articles depends on free time.

Nazia Asad
Government institution Pakistan
It depends on assignment I have to work on, for example when I was working on tool development assignment , I have to read almost 100 articles and that number of articles were more than as compare to my research thesis.
Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
I agree with you dear Dr. Nazia Asad. Thank you so much for your answer.
Mohammed Salah Nasr
Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University
In my opinion, I think it's not about how many articles I should read per month. But it's about the subject or the research I'm working on. You may be going through a month without 10 articles reading (because there is no plan for research at that time).
On the other hand, you may need in a certain month to read 100 articles because you are preparing to publish a paper in that period. However, the researcher must be persistent in reading even if he has no research to continue to develop himself.
Regards.
Doha M Al Saffar
Al-Mansour University College
10- 20 articles depends on free time.
Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
Thank you dear Dr. Vishnu Kumar Gupta for these details. I follow the same way as you but slightly less.
Mahesh Kumar
Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology
About 10 papers only
Amir W. Al-Khafaji
Bradley University
sometimes, I read none in a month. You read when you need to publish and when you are conducting research. In some cases, I read just for joy!
Dmytro Leshchenko
Odessa State Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecture
10-20 papers.
Saad Kariem Shather
University of Technology, Iraq
For me not more than 10 papers .
Deleted profile
When I want to send.paper i read
Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
Through the answers of most colleagues, I see that reading of certain number of articles is related to the time factor but for others it is related to the need of reading (for example: Hidouri Khaoula' answer). Also, Some colleagues are committed to reading a fixed number every month.
Lamia Mustafa Al-Naama
University of Basrah
I do agree with Dr Amir comments
As it depends on the time and if I am doing research or sometime on interesting articles
Srini Vasan
University of New Mexico
There are no set magical numbers. It depends largely where you are in your research. If you are in the staring phase may be you will read on an average 1 per day. As you get clearer as to what you want to do with your research the rate may come down to perhaps 2 per week.
Shibabrata Pattanayak
Government of West Bengal
I am closely attached with one journal. In some month, I check 50 -60 papers! But all can not satisfy me.
The number for me is 0- 70 papers per month for the journal.
But for my own publication, there is no limit. For preparation of my latest publication, a review article of 54 pages published in a journal of Benthumscience group, I read a huge number of papers for 6 - 7 months.
Total reference cited in the paper is near 150!
Thanks.
Segun Michael Abegunde
The Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
As many as you have time and capacity to read as well as finding application of.
Nihad Mohammed
University of Anbar
It depends on the work you do, sometimes you read ten papers and in others you read a hundred papers as in the discussions of Master's and Doctor's thesis.
Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
Thank you so much Dr. Ayodele Otaiku for the provided links.
Aleksandra Polak-Sopinska
Lodz University of Technology
It depends on topic, work I do and free time,
I have never counted how many articles I read per month. Now I am preparing new study and I have free time. Since 25.07 I have read 45 papers, about 2-3 per day. The topic is new for me, therfore I am not able to read and understand more than three scientific papers per day.
During the semester I do not have too much free time and I read about 1-2 papers per week, sometimes 3.
Shibani Dash
ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF AYURVEDA, Sarita vihar, New Delhi, India
It depends only on our interest to read any research paper....when there is a will, there is a way...
Foram P Joshi
JSAM & PD PATEL HOSPITAL, NADIAD
Ultimately goal of research to find out or discover the truth and give it a public platform.
Tht needs not only number of researches to read but also the applied aspects of concepts tht establishes and enhances a level of understanding.
Improves knowledge
Solves the mistakes
And make others to learn from
If one knows wht he or she exactly wants to understand/know... The satisfactory efforts are needed to put in.. then however more or less numbers of research works are needed to read may not remain an issue..
Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
I fully agree with dear Dr. Ahmadi Murjani.
Adriano Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo
Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso do Sul
If you advise PhD Students, you probably read a lot already...
The point is to have high quality readings, or those articles that really matter.
I'd suggest looking at seminar papers, when available, where you can get some "fresh air" almost 12-24 months ahead of journals...
Ademolawa Michael Adedipe
University of the Cumberlands
Great contributions!
Hamid Gadouri
Hassiba Benbouali University of Chlef
Thanks dear Dr. Ayodele Otaiku for ur input.
Regards
J. M. Koli
Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidypeeth
For detail reading around 10 research articles .