Question
Asked 9th May, 2018
  • USRA @ NASA Ames Research Center

How can I convert thermal image (geotiff format) to .csv format for data analytics?

I want to analyze thermal imagery that are available to me in geoTiff format i.e. to be precise I want to analyze temperature distribution of each thermal image. Hence, I wish to first convert the thermal imagery (geotiff format) to .csv format (Lat, Lon and Temperature) and perform analytics.
Can anyone help me out with any packages that are available in Python?
Thank you!

Prabhakar Alok
Indian Space Research Organization, Dehradun
There are multiple ways to do this conversion:
Using software ArcGIS: ASCII conversion tool can be used
Most of the GIS software (open source/paid) have this capability.
Still if you want to use python or R, You need gdal package to read the image in the form of array, iterate in array and write the logic to get lat/lon of each value in array and write output to txt/csv/excel file.
Jamie Matthew Bright
UK Power Networks
Hi Priyank,
Try the Gdal package to open and load up your data into Python.
For saving to Csv, i find the pandas package to be the simplest.
You'll have to convert your image to a Dataframe, then use the .to_csv conversion:
Hope that helps,
Jamie
Priyank Pradeep
USRA @ NASA Ames Research Center
Thank you Jamie and Prabhakar, appreciate it!
Mohamed Freeshah
Wuhan University
By QGIS

How to extract geotif file .tiff to csv?
Question
  • Siti Syuhaida Mohamed YunusSiti Syuhaida Mohamed Yunus
Hello!
Is it possible to extract the .tiff file into .csv? Such as weather data, from http://worldclim.org/current, I want to get the value of each point, especially for the EU region. I tried using ArcTool conversion (raster to ASCII) but seems they did not separate the points by region.
Thanks

Data
Those images can be obtained in GeoTiff (30-m spatial resolution) by contacting the authors: Valentine Aubard, vaubard@isa.ulisboa.pt; Joana Amaral Paulo, joanaap@isa.ulisboa.pt ; João M. N. Silva, joaosilva@isa.ulisboa.pt. Full-text available at https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11050525. To cite the article: Aubard, V.; Paulo, J.A.; Silva, J.M.N. Long-Te...
Thermal images, or infrared images, are representations of the world based on heat, instead of visible light. Research has shown that the resulting thermal image results in perceptual differences leading to difficulties in interpretation (e.g., the determination of slope angle, concavity/convexity), or increased identification latencies. A joint re...
A deep learning-based system has been created to autonomously analyze GeoTiff aerial imagery in order to retrieve information about objects type and their geographic coordinates. This research focuses on applying a Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) to detect objects and estimate the geographic coordinate of airplanes, ships and cars in those image...