Question
Asked 3rd Mar, 2016

How to calculate the intersected area from a layer with overlapping buffers in qgis?

I need to calculate the area of landusetypes in 100m around various sampling point. For this i have two shp: Landuse file and sampling point file. I made a buffer with 100m diameter arround each point. My problem is, the buffers around the points are overlapping each over in some places. I tried to intersect/clip the layer (e.g. landuse) with the layer "buffer", but the many overlapping parts are combine in one area, only counted once. This overestimate area for some small part of intersection. My purpose is to have each intersection area individually. Is there any tool in qgis which might help me? Or is there any other way to get this output? Thanks for your help.
Please find attached how it looks like: Yellow is landuse data and circles are buffer arround sampling points(red dot)

22nd Sep, 2017
Paulina Pokojska
University of Warsaw
It is not in QGIS but in ArcGIS tool Count overlapping polygons can be useful.

Eric Ariel L. Salas
Central State University
Create a shapefile for each point buffer.  Intersect one buffer with another individually.  Use ArcGIS if you have it.   I hope I am understanding your issue.
Cheers!
Komandan Mano
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
Thank you Eric, this is a possibility but I have many points (434) and make buffer for each point seem to be impossible (huge).
Thank you!
Eric Ariel L. Salas
Central State University
What about doing the buffer again for all the points, but this time, you have to specify that you will dissolve the buffers into one?  This means that buffers are dissolved together into a single feature, removing any overlap.  Once you have this single buffer feature, intersect this file to your landuse file.
Cheers!
Detlev Neumann
Dr. Neumann Consulting - Geospatial Services
Run the follwing Python script in QGIS Python console to create a memory layer with samples points and the intersection area in map units. You can join this layer on id with the original points.
samples = QgsMapLayerRegistry.instance().mapLayersByName('Sample Points')[0]
landuse = QgsMapLayerRegistry.instance().mapLayersByName('Landuse')[0]
result = QgsVectorLayer('Point?crs=EPSG:4326&field=id:integer&field=area:double', 'Result', 'memory')
prov = result.dataProvider()
fields = prov.fields()
feats = []
for sample in samples.getFeatures():
    for poly in landuse.getFeatures():
        # 100 units buffer with a 25 segments boundary
        part = sample.geometry().buffer(100, 25).intersection(poly.geometry())
        feat = QgsFeature(fields)
        feat.setGeometry(sample.geometry())
        feat['id'] = sample.id()
        feat['area'] = part.area()
        feats.append(feat)
prov.addFeatures(feats)
QgsMapLayerRegistry.instance().addMapLayer(result)
Tom Koch
University of British Columbia - Vancouver
I think one problem, here, is the size of the buffers you have created. Measure distance between the two most distant proximate points, half that, try using that as the radius of your buffer. This will give you overlaps where the points are concentrated but cut some of the confusion. Then, once the buffers are created you'll identify the intersects as a set (in QGIS or ArcGIS), either extract them or create a new set of buffers based on their center. We used this in a study of food poisoning, building "super buffers" from overlapping buffer intersects. 
Komandan Mano
Thank you for the nice contribution. It works now and I could estimated the impact of landuse.
Many thanks.
All the best!
22nd Sep, 2017
Paulina Pokojska
University of Warsaw

How can I extract the percentages for each class in a land cover classification from a vectorial layer?
Question
  • João Miguel Neri Camilo MoreiraJoão Miguel Neri Camilo Moreira
I have the .shp, .dbf, .shx, .cpg, .txt, .sbn, .sbx, .xml, and .prj files, but I don't have a rasterized layer for this map. 
How can I use these files to find the percentages I need? I'm trying to use QGIS, but I've never used it before and I have no idea how to do it. 
Thank you!

The so-called islamic state (ISIS) is an Islamic-Sunni terrorist group that has severely affected some of the major European countries in the last years.Therefore, this work wanted to explore its prevalence in Europe from a socio-criminological perspective by using the QGIS mapping software.The analysis was mainly carried out on two levels. Under a...
The so-called islamic state (ISIS) is an Islamic-Sunni terrorist group that has severely affected some of the major European countries in the last years. Therefore, this work wanted to explore its prevalence in Europe from a socio-criminological perspective by using the QGIS mapping software. The analysis was mainly carried out on two levels. Under...
Technical Report
En el presente reporte se plantea un ejemplo didáctico de la combinación lineal de capas ráster a través del Sistema de Información Geográfica QGIS, de código libre y multiplataforma. Se ha empleado tanto capas vectoriales como ráster para realizar una presentación adecuada del tratamiento de información geográfica, así mismo, se menciona algunas f...