Question
Asked 21st Nov, 2017

How much Orbitrap Q Exactive Plus costs compared to Orbitrap Exactive Plus?

Hi everyone. I'm working on the project for protein identification using LC-MS1 spectra without using any tandem mass spectra. I want to calculate economical benefits from using this approach. Does anyone know approximate price for Orbitrap Exactive Plus (not the Q Exactive Plus!)?

21st Nov, 2017
Alexey L Chernobrovkin
Pelago Bioscience AB
The price difference between Exactive+ and QExactive+ is around $10K, which is less then 5% of the instrument price.
22nd Nov, 2017
Keiko Kuwata
Nagoya University
really? in Japan, Thermo's mass spec price is about....
EXACTIVE PLUS (400,000 USD)
Q EXACTIVE (700,000 USD)
Q EXACTIVE PLUS (800,000 USD) without option
market price is about 100,000 USD discount
22nd Nov, 2017
Mark V Ivanov
Russian Academy of Sciences
Thank all of you for the answers. I've found some prices for the USA market which are close to Keiko's observations (Exactive Plus is around 250k USD and Q Exactive Plus is around 600k USD)

Q3, qTOF or ORBITRAP LC/MS - which will be better for identification of new compounds AND routine analyzes?
Question
  • Klara ZglińskaKlara Zglińska
LC / MS is looking for a new laboratory. Unfortunately, we can buy one device for various tasks. I'm asking for advice.
We deal with plant extracts. We care about the identification of new compounds. They will later be examined for bioactive properties. On the other hand, we will want to designate known chemical compounds in these extracts. In addition, we care about the possibility of determining unwanted compounds, e.g. plant toxins or pesticides in raw materials.
I know that it would be better to buy Q3 for routine markings. I am afraid that it will be insufficient to mark new compounds. I have no experience in finding new relationships. Such analyzes on Q3 would be difficult and would require additional confirmation by other methods.
I am leaning towards Water's Xevo G2-XS QTOF with UPLC Acquity H-Class with PDA or Shimadzu qTOF LCMS-9030.
Thermo persuades me to Q Exactive Focus Orbitrap LC-MS.
Which will be better for our task? I am a bit confused.
Thermo Orbitrap have the best Resolving power: 70,000 at m/z 200. Qtof have 40,000. But I read that 40k is sufficient even for the analysis of drug residues. In the literature I find more methods on QTOF. I will want to use scientific literature. It seems to me that Waters has the best service and help for users in Europe.
I learned that in the case of LC / MS qTOF I would have to use radiolabeled standards for routine analysis. Are they much less available than normal HPLC standards from Sigma?
The Waters kit includes UPLC with PDA. Can I then use normal standards and rely only on retention time, as in HPLC? Should Orbitrap be used only for isotopically labeled standards?
Does anyone know what the approximate cost of maintaining these cameras is?
Prices of LC-MS systems?
Question
  • Luc NellesLuc Nelles
We have the occasion to bid for some LC-MS systems, but I have no idea of list rpice of the systems.One is a Sciex Triple Quad 6500 with an Agilent MS-40+ vacuum pumps, a shimadzu LC system with Prominence series UHPLC unit .
The other is a top line Waters SYNAPT G2-Si High Definition Mass Spectrometry with a Acquity UPLS system. If someone could give me some advise on prices, that would be very helpful
Thanks

Orbitrap is the newest addition to the family of high-resolution mass spectrometry analyzers. With its revolutionarily new, miniature design, Orbitrap combines high speed with excellent quantification properties, ranking favorably in many analytical applications.
Mass spectrometry based proteomics generally seeks to identify and fully characterize protein species with high accuracy and throughput. Recent improvements in protein separation have greatly expanded the capacity of top-down proteomics (TDP) to identify a large number of intact proteins. To date, TDP has been most tightly associated with Fourier t...