Question
Asked 7th Aug, 2019

How do I get my basic synthetic urine to stop precipitating out the buffer?

Hello! I have been preparing synthetic urine at various pHs. I am struggling to prepare a synthetic urine at pH 9 with a Tris-HCl buffer, because there is always precipitate! I have tried the following & gotten the corresponding results:
Trial 1: 100 mM Tris-HCl buffer in synthetic urine
ingredients: 1.34g urea, 800mg NaCl, 164mg KCl, 242.5mg monobasic sodium phosphate, 263mg potassium sulfate, 29mg potassium bicarbonate, 150mg creatinine, 78mg magnesium sulfate, 51mg citric acid, 3.80 uL of 25% ammonium hydroxide, 1.1013g Tris, 151.5uL 6N HCl.
outcome: precipitate formed (cloudy); heating & stirring only made it worse (cloudier).
Trial 2: 100 mM Tris-HCl buffer in synthetic urine with some reduced organic matter (i.e. 1/3 the concentration of urea)
ingredients: 0.0932g urea, 800mg NaCl, 164mg KCl, 242.5mg monobasic sodium phosphate, 263mg potassium sulfate, 29mg potassium bicarbonate, 150mg creatinine, 78mg magnesium sulfate, 51mg citric acid, 3.80 uL of 25% ammonium hydroxide, 1.1013g Tris, 151.5uL 6N HCl.
Trial 3: 50mM Tris-HCl buffer in synthetic urine with highly reduced organic matter (i.e. 1/3 urea concentration, 1/4 creatinine concentration, and 1/4 citric acid concentration)
ingredients: 0.0932g urea, 800mg NaCl, 164mg KCl, 242.5mg monobasic sodium phosphate, 263mg potassium sulfate, 29mg potassium bicarbonate, 104mg creatinine, 78mg magnesium sulfate, 30mg citric acid, 3.80 uL of 25% ammonium hydroxide, 0.5507g Tris, 75.8uL 6N HCl.
outcome: precipitate formed (just a few granules of salts remained undissolved!); heating & stirring only made it worse (became cloudy!).
My next trial would be to repeat Trial 3 without heating or stirring and just letting the solution sit. However, I don't think 50mM will be concentrated enough of a solution for me. I've tested the buffering capacity at 40mM and it wasn't enough. If anyone can suggest any tips or recommend a different buffer/formulation for preparing BASIC synthetic urine, I would greatly appreciate it!

Engelbert Buxbaum
Private Person
  • The mass of the ingredients is not the relevant factor, but the concentration (mass/volume).
  • In particular, you have to consider the co-solubility of bivalent metal ions like Mg2+ with anions like carbonate or phosphate (solubility product). In particular in the presence of NH4+, Mg will precipitate as mixed salt, NH4MgPO4.
  • At higher pH, Mg2+ will precipitate as hydroxyde. This is particularly true is you change the pH of buffer by adding base, locally produced precipitates may not re-dissolve once formed.
  • Urine also may contain precipitates or crystals.
Achim Recktenwald
I am wondering about the use of 25% ammonium hydroxide. What is your pH? it must be rather high.
Should this perhaps be just 2.5% or even less?
22nd Aug, 2019
Emily Harari
University of California, Berkeley
Sorry for delayed response. The magnesium was most definitely the culprit! Thanks Engelbert Buxbaum !
Achim Recktenwald , the pH came out to ~8.31, but this was only after adding the Tris in the Tris-HCl buffer. Before adding the Tris, the pH was actually quite acidic from all the HCl, citric acid, etc.

Has anyone used SYBR® Green I - 10,000X concentrate in DMSO for qPCR?
Question
  • Miguel Frc. Benavides AcevedoMiguel Frc. Benavides Acevedo
Hi!
In our lab we are trying to standardize a Master Mix (MM) for qPCR using SYBR® Green I - 10,000X concentrate in DMSO (Sigma) and Taq Polymerase (Thermo). We are using the protocol of Karsai et al., (2002) with modifications. The thermocycler that we are using is the CFX384 Touch Real-Time PCR Detection System.
The problem that we are having is that the amplification of samples is not constant between different runs. We run the same samples with the same MM and sometimes they amplify and other times they don’t.
We checked several times the correct concentration of the different compounds of the MM (primers, Taq polymerase, dNTPs, etc). We already tried to keep the MM and the plate always cold and even to fill the plate without light. We also tried changing (and supervising) the person that prepare and run the PCR.
Something important is that, we always run the same samples with the commercial MM of Sybr Green, as a positive control, and they always had amplified; and other important thing is that, we run a gel with the samples that don’t amplify to confirm that there is not amplification at all. There is one or more factors that are making the SYBR® Green I unstable and inhibiting the PCR reaction but we are running out of ideas.
I am grateful for your suggestions. Thank you very much!
References:

Despite the growing technological interest of polydopamine (dopamine melanin)-based coatings for a broad variety of applications, the factors governing particle size, shape and electronic properties of this bioinspired multifunctional material have remained little understood. Herein, we report a detailed characterization of polydopamine growth, par...
The methods of simultaneous analysis of heavy metals in urine using simultaneous multielement atomic absorption spectrophotometry were examined. Seven elements, Co, Cr, Cu, Mn, Ni, Pb, Cd, important as environmental chemical hazards were examined concerning, analytical method, term and cautionary points for human urine analyses. Analytical method o...
Rat liver microsomes prepared in Tris buffer exhibited 3 to 10 times higher 3-hydroxy-3-methyl glutaryl CoA reductase specific activity than microsomes prepared with potassium phosphate buffer. This higher activity was observed in rats killed during mid-light cycle, but microsomes from rats killed during mid-dark cycle showed no significant differe...