Question
Asked 8th Nov, 2018

How can you quantify innovations?

Innovation itself is not easy to measure but innovation in research, implementation and investment projects is measured instrumentally. The simplest method in the absence of advanced measurement models is the development of a scoring system based on the diagnosed determinants of innovation, for which point scales are created. In this way, innovation, i.e. a qualitative concept, acquires a quantitative dimension and can be quantified. The indicated quantitative dimension can be used to evaluate innovation as a subject of the transaction and a key factor of production in innovative startups and technology companies in which research works are carried out and new innovative technological, process, product and other solutions are created.
I invite you to the discussion

3rd Mar, 2021
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University in Warsaw
Dear Rodion Ciuperca,
Thank you for your response. You highlighted the important issue of the difficulty of measuring the level of innovation. You added to our discussion an interesting concept of combining quantitative and qualitative aspects of measuring innovation.
Regards,
Dariusz Prokopowicz

Popular answers (1)

Michael Heine
Universität Augsburg
Dear Dariusz,
iI did a lot of work in quantifying innovation based on remarkable ideas. After a lot of years experience I have the opinion that this never can be done seriously. If you have a market feedback when positioning your idea or product, you easily can quanitify it by the money reflow. So this is the easy answer on your question.
But coming back to your question that should be changed from my opinion to: "
"How can you quantify the innovation potential of ideas"?
  • First of all you need to check the potential of your idea. That's classically follows more or less the analysis of some market analysis and the outcoming trends. But be sure! The market don't know the potential of your idea !
  • You have to convince your sponsor or your company which have to give the money to follow up you idea. But be sure! He will know it better and never will end with his critical discusssions to explain why it does not work !
What does that mean:
In any case you need a "Greenhouse Evironment" and people or management that believes in your exceeding creativity which allows you to adapt the idea and its realization to the need of the customer in a consequent feedback process.
That's from my experience the only way to create a need in the market.
So consequently we have to ask a second questions adressed to investors and the upper managemant of companies:
"What will you do to promote the nearly endless innovation potential within your staff without using commericial criteria based on an unknowing market"
Wirth best regards :-)
Michael

Mahender Singh
NCMCH Israna Panipat Haryana
When you have results of a research before hand then you start thinking to do something better may be economically, quality wise, time technique , efficiency and effectiveness. Taking earlier research/results as baseline and putting something new and different from earlier which would be better than previous one . Then you can measure in every aspect either quality, technology, effectiveness by developing certain indicators which can calculate/show degree of percentage in improvement of new technique/innovation.
Igor Gurkov
National Research University Higher School of Economics
Dear Daruisz,
Some years ago I developed a metrics on innovations which looks like an standing open -- one size in Novelty, the second size is the Magnitude of Change, and the particular pages are functional areas in which innovations are applied. The text around page 83 in the enclosed document is in Russian but you can use google translation.
Bests,
Igor Gurkov
Igor Gurkov
I forgot to add one word - " a metrics on innovations which looks like a standing open BOOK".
Aleksandar Dejanović
Modern Business School Belgrade
There are many indicators for innovation climate in organization, for instance:
1. How many ideas organization generate?
2. How many ideas become innovation?
3. Budget for innovations;
4. Budget for education and training;
5. Revenue from innovation...
Michael Heine
Universität Augsburg
Dear Dariusz,
What does that mean:
Wirth best regards :-)
Michael
Santoso Santoso
National Dong Hwa University
  • ЭНСР_Гурков и др.-2013 №2&4(61&63) (1).pdf1.55 MB Unfortunately, I opened this file and found it on Russian language and can not understand it, would you please share it in English please?? Thank you so much.
Dariusz Prokopowicz
In the light of the above, there were interesting considerations, answers and conclusions that may be an inspiration to continue research in this area.
It seems to me that it is good that there was a discussion in the question of this question. The answers given are very inspiring. Therefore, I am still reading the answers, following the interesting discussion.
Thank you for your answers and I encourage you to continue your discussion, to continue the interesting discussion.
'Quantitative' & 'Qualitative' measurement of 'Innovation' of a system is via 'Publications' or 'Patents' as any 'Organisation'/'Institute'/Nation potential is predicted by abovementioned parameters and no other parameters as per my understanding
Mirna Leko-Šimić
University of Osijek
Number of new marketed products, R&D investment..these are usual measures.
23rd Jun, 2020
Russencleyton Costa
Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia
Measures aimed at the number of researchers, resources, patents, articles, congresses, equipment and profitability are more correlated with financial performance. A R&D project can have its innovative result - perceived improvement in a product or process - years later, maybe even a decade. The utility may not be perceived initially, but from interactions and social and economic evolution the utility may emerge, as at this moment they are occurring with the platforms of interaction at a distance. Therefore, it is important to reconcile objective factors (more correlated with financial performance) with the procedural factors of innovation. In the latter, the individual in an organizational context develops his innovative potential under influences internal and external to the organization. There is no doubt that performance in innovation is a broad topic that crosses several fields of science.
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Hello Dear Everyone, Thank you for answering: How can you quantify innovations? - and for providing various methods of measuring innovation.
Best regards,
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Dariusz Prokopowicz
That's right. The system for measuring the level of innovation should take into account many factors, domains, sectors and industries in which innovations arise and which determine innovation. The analytical model used to measure innovation should therefore take into account many factors.
Regards,
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Shurooq Talab Jaafar
AL-Yarmok University College
I think it depends on the novelty of the research paper. Innovative papers should have novelty and new research techniques.
2nd Feb, 2021
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Thank you for your answer regarding the issue of scientific article innovation.
Regards,
Dariusz Prokopowicz
3rd Mar, 2021
Rodion Ciuperca
Technical University of Moldova
Innovation is considered superior to inventions, so in my opinion 'Quantitative' & 'Qualitative' measurement of 'Innovation' is complicated to achieve when the researcher is focused on inventions and not on their implementation. I think that in the future, thanks to the information system that is constantly rising, this will be easier to achieve. An example would be the one based on citations in relation to scientific papers.
3rd Mar, 2021
Dariusz Prokopowicz
Dear Rodion Ciuperca,
Regards,
Dariusz Prokopowicz

Help Estimating In Vivo Oral Dosage from In Vitro Optimal Dosage?
Question
  • Matthew PetersonMatthew Peterson
I know that there is not an "Equation" that exists to convert In Vivo dosages to In Vitro dosages because of so many factors that can go into it, but if someone can help me with an estimate that would be great using a few assumptions and constants.
I have a compound, NACET (N Acetyl Cysteine Ethyl Ester) that has had In Vitro studies showing a maximum dosage for GSH increase intracellularly. I've attached the study for reference. I want to do an In Vitro study with either mice or humans and want to determine what the estimated dosage would be to closely mimic the In Vivo results.
In the study they dose the HUVEC with varying amounts of NACET.
The mean volume of a single HUVEC is about 2000 femtoliters and that the number of cells in the experiments was about 2x10 to the 6th.
The maximum increase in GSH concentration was observed at 0.5 mM NACET.
The molecular weight of NACET is 191.25 g/mol
NACET has a bioavailability of about 70%.
I can assume that NACET rapidly passes into the bloodstream, where it rapidly enters the cells and immediately turns into NAC.
If I can assume that 70% of the oral dosage will make it into cells throughout the body, and I want to arrive at the 0.5mM NACET that was dosed in the HUVEC cells, what would be a good starting place for the oral dosage?
I don't have a way to do an initial test on mice to find the answer, but this particular compound seems to have some pretty good constants that should make an estimate possible.

Chapter
In this chapter, we present a method for communities to continuously reproduce their identity with taking in new ideas. Communities, no matter how open or closed they may be, each have their identity that differentiates them from others. These are shared and practiced in the community implicitly in the form of spirits, visions, habits, attitudes, a...
Conference Paper
To achieve a general agreement in relation to a specific proposal, members of a community must participate in the formal consensus process. This paper describes a web-based system (the Vector Consensus system) for supporting an ad hoc consensus process. The system was implemented in a collaborative innovation community with the aim to discuss how t...