Question
Asked 5th Jun, 2020

How can we add citation on research gate?

My articles are showing more citations in google scholar, compared to what is shown in the research gate.

Abdessamad OUSAADANE
Cadi Ayyad University
I think the citations are added automatically. The author of the paper that cited yours should add the manuscript public or private, so that RG can detect the cited papers.

31st Oct, 2021
s. M. Akber
Ranada Prasad Shaha University, Bangladesh
I am facing the same problem. Can anyone help to solve the problem?

Wolfgang R. Dick
Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy
It is not possible to add citations "by hand".
Mohd Saif Khan
Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences
Thank you for the timely responses from all of you. I have seen in some of the articles which cited my research (showing on G scholar), are in RG but when I checked their reference list, my article was lying there idle without getting linked (for citation), that is the reason of showing such a low citation number. But, as someone said, wait and watch policy with hands and fingers crossed, will solve the issue. Thanks again for your responses.
Nooshin Salimi
Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah Branch, IRAN
Here are the most common cases where citations may be missing:
When citations have incomplete metadata (e.g., publication date, journal, abstract)
When the citing paper is not on ResearchGate
When full-text PDFs are created by scanning a hard copy, we can't extract citations
If you recently added a publication to ResearchGate and notice that citations are missing, please be patient as this can take some time.
Frank T. Edelmann
Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg
Dear Mohd Saif Khan, I agree with
Saleh Khatib
in that Google Scholar often lists more citations than RG. I also observed the same phenomenon frequently. For more answers on this question please check out the previous discussion on RG which is cited below.
Sundara Siva Kumar v
RG should redesign their AI and algorithm to enable them capture all citations from outside RG, just like Google scholar.
Wolfgang H. Muss
Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg
Sundara Siva Kumar v : your statement:
"IF THE CITED AUTHOR UPLOAD THE PAPER IN RG THEN AUTOMATICALLY IT WILL BE ADDED." is not quite correct/true.
it should read:
[NB: the following has been edited / corrected for only minor spelling errors and some word omission 2021-05-18, WHM]
>>If RG's >Search Algorithm< captures any identical 'letters' of the name of an existing RG-participant/'member'-Profile, it either will send an automated notification to you (which reads something like: "Your article / publication/etc. recently was cited by... N.N., Publication title, etc... " containing also STATs.),
or
add the publications, but then also the respective ‚citation count‘ automatically to the (unanimously appropriate) name / the profile (accompanied by a corresponding e-mail-notification) . Sometimes you'll be asked (by automated e-mail-notification) about "Is THIS your article/publication (paper)"....<<
At least this is my personal experience.
There always will be a difference in counts among the various systems (GoogleScholars, Mendeley, or even publication organs= Journals Metrics/Stats, etc.).
Such differences might be explained also when considering different notions of the Author(s)‘ names [full or abbreviated first name(s) or / and double last names, like Spanish names, either separated by a hyphen or due to omitting such a hyphen....and other (more non-descript / unremarkable) distinguishing marks in the Authors'- or 'Affiliation' - name lists....].
Wolfgang H. Muss
Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg
It happened for sure only "incidentally" that Sundara Siva Kumar v has deleted his former answer #[008] (it was the answer posted before the still existing one above: "RG should redesign...") without further notice right after the posting of my answer #[010] - which mutated therefore now to answr [009]. -
This <sentence>/paragraph added just for the sake of "clearness"...
Elyas Mohammadi
Medical University of Gdansk
Why are some of my citations not shown?
We regularly import citation data from different sources and do our best to ensure accuracy. However, while citations using standard citation styles are usually extracted accurately on ResearchGate, there are some cases where this can be difficult.
Here’s what you can do to help your citations appear on ResearchGate:
  • Make sure the citing paper is on ResearchGate
  • Check to see if the paper has complete and accurate metadata (e.g., publication date, journal, abstract)
  • Make sure any full-text PDFs were not created by scanning a hard copy, as we can’t extract citations from scanned copies
If you recently added a publication to ResearchGate and notice that citations are missing, please be patient as it can take some time to extract all its citations. Please also note that we aren’t able to manually add your citations from other sources, e.g., Google Scholar.
We understand that it's frustrating when citations aren't displayed, so we're always working on new ways to improve how we extract and match citations.
Durlave Roy
Bangladesh Open University
Muhammad Ihsan
University of Management and Technology (Pakistan)
Nice question
Wolfgang H. Muss
Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg
Muhammad Ihsan , so if the Question is 'nice' it would be a 'nice' action to endorse/ recommend the QUESTION of / by Mohd Saif Khan above at POSITION: Recommend...
Anything else worth to add? Any complaint, any interesting story?
Babak Jamshidi
King's College London
Researchgate calculates based on the files submitted to it. If you want to increase the citation, find the referring files and submit to RG.
Shahla Ahmad
University of Mosul
Very Good.... Important question
Muhammad Arshad
Give research multi touch
Mohammed Faez Hasan
University of Kerbala
Just need time to appear.
Mushtak A.K. Shiker
University of Babylon
I have the same problem
Rahul Pardeshi
I have the same problem
Wolfgang H. Muss
Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg
Just to remember: read answer # [012]:
Elyas Mohammadi added an answer - November 25, 2020....
Md Saiful Islam
Bangamata Sheikh Fojilatunnesa Mujib Science and Technology University
Helpful question.
Mostafa Rashdan
Aswan University
I think google scholar adds all types of citations but research gate shows only conference/ joirnal citations
Ali SAID Almatari
Ministry of education oman
Good Question. I have the same problem
Deleted profile
Good question, I hope someone tell us the answer
Elyas Mohammadi
Medical University of Gdansk
You may want to check my response on 25th of November 2020
انوار الطائي
University of Basrah
Good question
Hayder Ibrahim Mohammed
University Of Garmian
So far, there is no way to add the citation.
1st Oct, 2021
Basil Mohammed Saied
Formerly at University of Mosul
I have the same problem!
3rd Oct, 2021
Doaa M. Zein
Plant Protection Research Institute (PPRI)
I have the same problem unfortunately ResearchGate didn't allow to add citation manually
Mostafa Rashdan
Aswan University
You can not even add the journal name manually when you add publication
Wolfgang H. Muss
Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg
Were these matters reported to ResearchGate helpcenter?
Deleted profile
this problem may be occurs due to the difference in search engines of google scholar and RG,
I suggest to allow adding citations manually to overcome this problem.
Shihab Uddin
Bangladesh Agricultural University
Ali SAID Almatari
Ministry of education oman
I am facing same problem
Ali SAID Almatari
Ministry of education oman
I am facing same problem
Ali SAID Almatari
Ministry of education oman
I am facing same problem . How can i solve this problem
Deleted profile
I think, some researchers reported this problem to ResearchGate helpcenter, and if not, how to tell RG about that?
Shihab Uddin
Bangladesh Agricultural University
I have found the fact. It happens when an author does a mistake when writing the references i.e., wrong volume number/issue number/page number/doi number in a article. If the wrong information is once published, it is not possible to correct it. As a result, the author whom anyone cited in a paper, will miss the citation. Another this is that when uploading an article in RG, everyone should properly upload everything (journal name, volume, issue and page number, doi number) and after uploading the article please check the references whether it is showing all the references properly. If it doesn't show the references properly, all the cited articles in that article will miss citation in RG. So, it is the responsibility of an author when citing other, do it correctly.
Hayder Ibrahim Mohammed
University Of Garmian
Litreturly, there is no way to do it, but you can report it to the RG team.
Sotiris Lycourghiotis
University of Peloponnese
I am facing same problem. Τhere are many citation that are not automatically detected.
31st Oct, 2021
s. M. Akber
Thai-Son Tran
Hue University
I have the same problem. Please provide a solution!
Basil Mohammed Saied
Formerly at University of Mosul
Vincent O. Nyangaresi
University of Nairobi
It is not possible to add a citation, rather the system picks it automatically once a citing article is uploaded on RG.
Huda M. Mahmood
University of Anbar
3rd Mar, 2022
Khaled Athamena
École Polytechnique d'architecture et d'urbanisme (EPAU)
It is impossible to link the two databases of RG ans GS. For me, the best thing to do is to upload the full-text of your articles and conference papers on researchgate in order to have more visibility on the Net. Google Scholar will update their database automatically.
It worked for me :)
Abduelrahman S. Mohamed
Central Laboratory Ministry of Science & Technology Sudan
Hello everyone ! Also I have the same issue, I guessed that the article upon uploading it will come with their citations as in Google scholar. Actually I found the citations of my articles in Semantic Scholar. But in my case I edited my name as an author maybe that's why the citations of my research article disappeared.
Muhammad Bukhsh
The Islamia University of Bahawalpur
Ahmed Nawzad Hassan
Erbil Polytechnic University- Kurdistan Region
Unfortunately I have same problem, in google scholar I have 4 citations while in ResearchGate I have only 2, how can update or link between them?
Naoual Mouhni
EMSI
I have the same problem too. One of my papers has citations on Google Scholar but none on Researchgate. Has anyone found a solution?

-----
Why the citation is not shown?
Question
  • Hatam GuliyevHatam Guliyev
I placed the book "Destruction and stability of thin bodies with fractures" in my page of www.researchgate.net according to the guidelines indicated there. However, citations of the book is not included by your website. I ask you to look through this problem and write me the cause of this disorder, please.
What is InTech Open Science? A predatory or a ligitimate publisher?
Question
  • Stephen Jia WangStephen Jia Wang
Dear friends colleagues, have you ever received an invitation to publish your work at InTech Open Science (https://www.intechopen.com/)? I have recently been invited to edit a new book title for them. I am usually suspicious with such invitations and must check the authenticity of the publisher first. Interestingly, they claim that they have published the work for two recent Nobel Laureates. Therefore, I would appreciate your experience and opinions regarding InTech Open Science.
Kind regards,