Question
Asked 4th Feb, 2015

How can a fungal infection be simulated?

I would like to simulate a fungal infection of Altenaria sp. because unfortunatelly we can not grow plants with the fungus. Any ellicitor to do? What do you think about mechanical injury?
Thank you in advance
Raquel

Kheng Ka Tan
Independent Researcher
Dear Raquel,
you may try to simulate its growth as mass diffusion in porous media, and with first order reaction and a point source as a start.  kk
Raquel Esteban
Universidad del País Vasco / Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea
Dear kheng,
Thank you very much for you fast aswer
Please can you specify a bit more. I don´t understand very well. Any publication??
Best
Raquel
Kheng Ka Tan
Independent Researcher
Dear Raquel,
I upload a paper on gas diffusion in porous media and a PPT on gas diffusion in liquid that lead to convection for your reference.  You need to combine both concepts in one set up in FLUENT, and add reaction, but remove g force to stop convection.  You can estimate the time steps from the spreading rate of Altenaria sp.  kk

GLMM for negative values response variable?
Question
  • Patricia Fernanda Dos Santos De Loureiro Nunes NunesPatricia Fernanda Dos Santos De Loureiro Nunes Nunes
I have been trying to fit a glmm model with lme4 package with a dataset that results from a meta-analysis, so it has several negative values at the response variable (yi).
The data are not normally distributed:
The code I am using to run this and include ID effect as a random factor is below.
res.glmer <- glmer(yi ~ 1 + (1 |ID), data=ex_dataset, family=" ")
glmer function does not seem to handle negative values and I also don´t really know what family to indicate to the model.
Any ideas of how to make this analysis?

Rust fungi like Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici are known to change their cell wall properties upon entering the plant tissue. Immunohistochemistry revealed the cellular localization of two class III chitin synthase isoforms in rust mycelia developing on and in the host plant. Isoform IIIa is restricted to fungal infection structures growing on th...