Question
Asked 14th Dec, 2016

How can I improve this study?

Hi everyone,
I would like to conduct a study which takes about 2 weeks to be completed. Prior the 2 weeks, Participants are introduced to the concept of ideation or  generation of ideas, then they are asked to come up with at least 10 ideas a day. These daily 10 ideas are supposed to be in one category (For example: 10 ideas about how I can be more productive today, 10 ideas about how to solve a certain problem and etc.) .
They complete tests of creativity, subjective well-being and some other tests before the completion of 2 weeks and after 2 weeks to see if coming up with 10 ideas a day makes any changes in the results of those tests. As research indicates, creativity correlates with subjective well-being *. But is it creativity to come up with 10 ideas a day?
I am asking to please reflect on my hypothesis, as I feel something is missing, or the hypothesis can not be studied.
I also would like to ask what psychological concepts do you think may correlate with creativity or idea machine?
Thank you
Sincerely,
Hossein
* Peyvastegar, M., & Dastjerdi, E. (2010). Relationship between creativity and subjective well-being. International Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 4(3), 207-213.

Sylvia Kristen Lee
Kieran:Patrick Consulting
Maybe that could be the focus of your research - how to sustain creativity over time.  Another area to explore, perhaps, is the notion kf psychological capital and it's elements of hope, optimism, resilience, and efficacy..  does a person need all four to sustain creativity or are one or more factors of greater importance.   See anything by Fred Lufthansa for extensive information on psycap 

Sylvia Kristen Lee
Kieran:Patrick Consulting
I don't think merely coming up with ideas is creative - there has to be some potential, at least, to put the ideas into action.  One thing that might be worth exploring is the notion of generative questions.  If you simply ask people to come up with 10 ideas about x, that may or may not make people think deeply.  Can you find a way to ask the question that makes people "reach high for the 'um' "?  When people respond to a question with "Um", it means they are thinking, not just blurting out the obvious answers, etc. Tools like Appreciative Inquiry ask generative questions, getting people beyond the surface to deep answers.  
Bushe, G. R. (2010). Generativity and the transformational potential of appreciative inquiry. Organizational generativity: Advances in appreciative inquiry, 3, 1-13.
Arturo Geigel
Independent Researcher Puerto Rico
I see two different issues:
The first thing to do is to clarify Sylvia's critique to the terms and how they relate to one another. My take is that creativeness and ideas are linked via the appraisal of creativeness of that idea. The idea itself must be valued (that becomes another issue completely different. One which I have taken interest on).
The second is that one must be careful that one set of problems do not reinforce and bias the study. For example, given that I work on X and my work focuses on analizing productivity I reinforce my well being and the next day I may be able to tackle 10 ideas about how to solve a certain problem. The same can be said in reinforcing frustration or anxiety of coming only with 5 instead of 10 ideas. I would space the problems further apart to avoid biases. I would also narrow it down to a specific profile of individual.
Hossein Razbari
Staffordshire University
Hi Arturo,
Can you please elaborate more on the 2nd issue?
The fact that study is measuring well-being can bias the participants as they may be biased to come up with ideas in order to increase their well-being. Is that what you mean?
Arturo Geigel
Independent Researcher Puerto Rico
The problem is that you are forcing the creative process(for some people it is spontaneous while for others it can be invoked in demand) to boundaries that might influence the overall measurement of well being (I would be stressed just by being asked to come up with things on demand and I consider myself very creative). I am referring to the first group (the spontaneous) in which due to the constraints might state lower well being by being forced in the first place to invoke creativeness( my intuition is that most people fall in this category). Also the metric of 10 ideas call for people in the second category(those who can summon creativeness on demand). A way to avoid this possible noise and bias is by discriminating the individuals into categories by profile and using different metrics per group. Also, the work, environment, lifestyle, etc. are also determining factors to creativeness and well being these have to be taken into account.
Mita Brahma
Management Development Institute Gurgaon
I think you should challenge the participants' creativity by giving them creative problems/ situations each day. Participants may give suggestions which need not be judged in terms of their applicability or cost etc., just like we do not shoot down any ideas in a brainstorming situation.
But we do need to put some constraints/ define a situation/ some generic and unsolved problems, which will spur on the participants to contribute enthusiastically day after day.
Michael W. Marek
Wayne State College
Hossein,
With respect, if I were peer-reviewing this paper, I would have concerns about the short duration of the test.  Please research the "Hawthorne Effect" which is also known as the "Novelty Effect."  
What the Hawthorne Effect means is that when an activity is new, participants will behave differently and with higher motivation than when after they have been performing it for a long time.  
For a research study to eliminate potential confounding effects of novelty, your study must last at least eight weeks.  Otherwise I would say that your results are not generalizable, except to other brief exposures to something new to participants.
I am sorry that this is not within the scope of your current plans, but as I said, it is a concern I would have as a peer reviewer.
-Michael-
Phil Barbonis
Mr Raxbari,
I used to teach a course in creativity and innovation, and hence my response.
Under certain conditions, people do come up with many "creative" ideas simply because the self-imposed constraints have been removed. I think the important point is this : how do you get from a creative idea to its physical realization? To answer your question and the implied hypothesis, yes coming up with ideas is a reflection of creativity. But that gets no one anywhere. It has to be realized in a product or process. There is the problem, and more than creativity might well be required as also many minds working together. Even then, that creative idea may not be realized. Incidentally, here I am referring to science and technology-related ideas.
Hossein Razbari
Staffordshire University
Dear Phil,
Thanks for your reply
My main concern is to study effects of ideation( even on superficial level, to come up with ideas) on psychological well-being. Acting upon ideas or innovation is not relevant to my study.
Hossein Razbari
Staffordshire University
Thanks a lot Michael, I am considering to have a longer period of data collection, however I wonder how to motivate my participants to accomplish the 8-weeks of ideation.
Sylvia Kristen Lee
Kieran:Patrick Consulting

Analyzes the Regional Innovation and TechnologyTransfer Strategies and Infrastructures (RITTS) Programme financed by theEuropean Commission.RITTS was created to provide support, through accessto experienced community experts, to regional policymakers in the developmentof a regional innovation strategy. To begin, the history and a corresponding lite...
On August 24, 2009, the Austrian Council for Research and Technology Development - a policy advisory body for the Austrian Government - presented its RTI (research, technology & innovation) strategy document Strategy 2020 to the Austrian federal government. The document contained proposals and recommendations for developing the Austrian innovation...
This paper reports on a strategic analysis of the development of Energy Service Companies. A policy model is used to assess the strategic positioning entailing a two-dimensional analysis, containing ESCO industry’s strategy objective and poilicy objective. By this way, we could find in different segmentation there will have different industrail inn...