Started 16th Jan, 2020

"GRIN;)" - Is it worth publishing with them?

Hi everyone,
Some time ago I shared my scientific essay with GRIN. They offered me selling hard copy of this work via GRIN site or Amazon and pdf version to download from GRIN. I prepared pdf version of the paper and upload it, but I must admit there was inconsistency between final version active on site and pdf version that I have shared with them - problems with accurate formatting. Even if I selected for free option, little price was set up for downloading the pdf. Each one who wants to upload its own paper, has to agree with conditions, and one of them is that the paper will be active at least for 5 years under agreed conditions.
Still I have doubts if I did wrong or good sharing my essay with them. As a publisher was GRIN suitable choice indeed? What do you think? What experience do you have with this publisher?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Vandana Gupta
Birla College
Thank you Sir for your valuable reply

Popular replies (1)

Jiban Shrestha
Nepal Agricultural Research Council
I think 'GRIN Publishing' is one of the vanity publishers. Do not publish your thesis or book via this publisher, it may bring trouble in your scientific career.

All replies (18)

Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
You could have done the fine formatting yourself and put it on Kindle yourself. But then you would have to market it yourself too. I think that the GRIN is a fair solution as long as you do not include any illustrations or equations. Thanks for drawing it to our attention. Any money you might get, you would not have got had you not published.
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
@IanKennedy
thanks for reply. The point is I did not want to earn money for it, at least it was not the target. Just wanted to share with the others of my ideas. Formating was prepared corectly, as it is on pdf version. However translation I have made, could be better;)
Kindest Regards,
Konrad
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
اسرار عبدالزهرة
Why is that? Any experience with them?
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
اسرار عبدالزهرة
Okay, thanks
21st Jan, 2020
Naser Mostashiri
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare
Hi Konrad,
I have never published through Green. However, based on my understanding, your purpose is to share your idea with your peers! In this case, it's better to share your paper in a conference or a journal!
Regards,
Naser
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
Thanks for your reply and advice. The point is, I have already published there one of my essay which contains some chapters been published in a journals earlier. I still work on of that project (Nietzsche and the Dragon) - new ideas are implemented and build up into it. All of I am worry about now is that was it good move to published there? ;)
David Osborne
The Open Polytechnic
Is it not a scam site? I purchased a so called Book Diversity in South Africa from them today for just over six NZD. The 'book' consisted of a very badly written essay of about three pages. Totally useless to anyone. Beware they misrepresent themselves for money!
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
I belive it is not a scam site. Maybe it depends on the way you have chosen the book was published there? My experience with them was as such as I already told above. I believe, if you contact them via e-mail, they will reply so they did when I tried with some queries.
Farwis Mahrool
South Eastern University of Sri Lanka
Thank you for your information. I too published a note with them and I had the same doubt.
Jiban Shrestha
Nepal Agricultural Research Council
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
Thank you Jiban for sharing your point of view,
Vandana Gupta
Birla College
Thank you all for sharing your experience with the publisher.
Even I had approached to publish my thesis with Grin publisher.
Should I go ahead or not?
Rob Keller
Charlemagne College, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
It is somewhat diffuse. I am unable to find reports that state that they use hidden costs etc. So, that is somewhat reassuring. However, they cannot be considered as a safe and serious venue for academic work. As stated here https://www.uibk.ac.at/ulb/services/predatorypublishing.html.en “Some publishers ... as well as GRIN … – systematically contact graduates of master's, diploma and doctoral programmes and offer to publish their theses free of charge. Such requests should be treated with caution as the theses are printed unedited and without peer review process, while being distributed at high prices via print-on-demand. Students, who are pursuing an academic career, are not advised to publish with such publishers, as they do not have an academic reputation due to their lack of quality criteria and are rarely purchased by university libraries or other academic institutions.”
Indeed, none of their titles are indexed in the Web of Science Book index (http://wokinfo.com/mbl ). So, if you want to get something on the net it might be okay but if you want/need some academic credibility I would say no.
Best regards.
Konrad Pyznar
Pedagogical University of Cracow
Hello All,
After the period of 5 years of keeping my publication available I decided to withdraw it from GRIN. It didn't meet with any complications at all. Just advised the GRIN by email that I wanted it to be terminated due to agreement § 10 RIGHT OF CANCELLATION, TERM OF THE AGREEMENT (4) This Agreement shall expire in 5 years at the earliest. It shall be automatically renewed for successive periods of 5 years unless terminated by 3 months’ notice for the end of such period. [...]
Soon after I received gentle email, that my request will be processed and publication will be removed from the GRIN's catalog and all channels the pdf version of my text been spred in accordance with my request.
Kind Regards,
KP
Fredrick Ishengoma
Dodoma University
GRIN Publishing is a German self-publishing platform that allows authors to publish and distribute their own works as e-books and paperbacks. While GRIN does offer a wide range of options for publishing and distributing content, the company has received criticism in the past regarding the quality of their services and the way they present their offers to authors.
Many users have reported that the quality of their e-books and paperbacks were not up to the standards of traditional publishing, and there were inconsistencies with the formatting, proofreading and editing services.
Also, it is important to note that self-publishing platforms like GRIN, do not have the same level of review, selection and quality standards as traditional publishers, and therefore, it's not considered as reputable as traditional publishing. Many academics would not consider self-publishing or vanity publishing as suitable choices for their work, as it may not be considered credible or suitable for academic use.
As for the conditions of keeping the paper active on the site for a minimum of 5 years and that can cost a little amount of money, it is a way the platform generates revenue, you should be well aware of it before you agree to the conditions. Also, it's important to keep in mind that some self-publishing platforms can retain the rights to your work for a period of time, which means you may not be able to publish it elsewhere.
Vandana Gupta
Birla College
Thank you Sir for your valuable reply

Preprint
Academic publishing is the subfield of publishing which distributes academic research and scholarship. Most academic work is published in academic journal articles, books or theses.
Factors affecting publishing outcomes are examined. This essay is designed for those new to publishing or those who need to renew their commitment to the publishing process. Prescriptions are suggested for overcoming factors inhibiting the successful completion of the publishing process. Specific attention is devoted to motivational, analytic, and...