Question
Asked 17th Jun, 2018

Does tea (black tea+milk) intake cause any harm to our body or not?

In India it is a common gesture to welcome the visitors by offering tea (black tea+milk). I want to seek your views that is it cause any kind harm to our body or not. How many cup of tea intake are advisable in a day.
Your views will be highly appreciable.
Thanks

Utsav Poudel
Tribhuvan University
Milk tea increase gastritis problem so it is better to drink black tea.

Parisa Ziarati
Formerly Academic member in Pharmaceutical Faculty
Dear Dr Mahesh Kumar
As far as I know , all foods which contain calcium, such as dairy foods ,including milk have the highest concentrations per distribute highly absorbable calcium and on the other hand black tea include many chemical compounds act as antioxidants, which help protect our body from free radicals .
We should pay attention that drinking hot tea is dangerous! and
the most important thing:
Excess of everything is poison !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted profile
It is good you can just know the composition of black tea and milk are there bad second reaction
I drink one cup of green tea and two cup of coffe per day
Abderrahmane Khechekhouche
El-Oued University
In Algeria and the north of Africa, we mix coffee and milk.
Segun Michael Abegunde
The Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
I don't really understand why but I do feel a little bit down whenever I take tea.
Amir W. Al-Khafaji
Bradley University
I drink it everyday in the USA but don't know the answer.
Adel Ben Lakhdhar Oueslati
University of Monastir
Hi dear,
Hi dear, iiir the question. tea and milk mixture is a drink consumed frequently in north africa and in some other countries. The statistics show the relashionship between food, health and age. For example in some countries who people consume this mixture (tea + milk), the same people has an avearge age more than 75 years. This means that the food has a positive effect on the health.
With best wishes!
Dr. Adel OUESLATI
Khulood Obaid
University of Kerbala
Salam,
Dear Mahesh,
I always drink it, it is known the important fact that the tea containing caffeine which can bind to elements such Ca in milk, so leads to cancel the good effect for milk. But I don't know if other disadvantages are available.
Thanks,
Good luck
Jagmohan Sharma
State health agency Punjab
I think tea is good for health as it contains flavonoids which are natural antioxidants. Capacity to drink tea varies from person to person. Some people develop acidity and insomnia but it is not clear that is due to milk or tea. There is an old saying the person who drinks tea always remain happy.
Shibabrata Pattanayak
Government of West Bengal
Dear Dr. Mahesh Kumar,
Your question needs explanation.
Do you know
1. The "tea" dust/ pellets used by the roadside tea stalls are purchased @ Rs. 200 - 300/ per Kg. No tea leaf can be made available in that cost.
The leather dust and saw dusts may be covered by artificial color ( Ferrous salt) and artificial flavour (esters) to prepare it.
2. The milk used in such tea may have no relation with cow or buffalo. That may have relation with detergent powder, formaldehyde, urea etc.
For some more information, you may download some related articles from my RG site.
I take tea 5 times daily. Generally I prepare it myself from tea leaves packed by manufacturing companies of Darjeeling, West Bengal. I take it without sugar and milk.
Thanks.
Ashok Pundir
NITIE-National Institute of Industrial Engineering
After drinking tea, one feels alert and good.
Tea may be taken in many forms like:
Black tea
Black tea with milk
Black tea with lemon
Tea with lemongrass
I found Black tea with lemon tasty and good for digestion and alertness.
Ali Benhmidene
University of Gabès
In Tunisia we drinking tea too. some person mixed tea with milk. but I think it hasn't any bad effect on the body. for the number of cup / day it's related of the habitue of each people. I think it's good that don't drink tea on the void stomach.
Best Regards
Beemnet Mengesha Kassahun
Kyungpook National University
Dear Dr. Mahesh Kumar , as far as I know, black tea is very useful for health. I usually take 1 cup of black tea every morning and sometimes after lunch to help me for better digestion. I feel very comfortable with black tea.
Some of the benefits of black tea obtained form different source are summarized here under.
Black tea is used for improving mental alertness as well as learning, memory and information processing skills. It is also used for treating headache and low blood pressure; preventing heart disease, including “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis) and heart attack; preventing Parkinson's disease; and reducing the risk of stomach and colon cancer, lung cancer, ovarian cancer, and breast cancer. It is also used for type 2 diabetes, stomach disorders, vomiting, diarrhea, and as a diuretic to increase urine flow. Some people use black tea for preventing tooth decay and kidney stones. In combination with various other products, black tea is used for weight loss.
Sources:
Nafees Mohammad
University of Peshawar
I am using tea (black tea + milk) for the last 50 years thrice a day (morning, before noon, after noon) daily. Till now I have not noticed any negative effects.
If some one has acute or chronic stomach problems, doctors usually advice to avoid the use for sometime.
Nihad Mohammed
University of Anbar
The researchers explained that drinking tea helps the movement of the arteries to expand and relax, allowing to keep blood pressure well, and that the proteins contained in the milk, which claims that kazines have an adverse effect on the effect of tea.
Drinking tea clearly increases the ability of the arteries to relax and expand to accommodate a greater flow of blood compared to drinking water, but the addition of milk completely inhibits this biological effect, said Dr. Mario Lorenz, a biologist.
Research results have shown that tea molecules called catechins help dilate arteries by producing a chemical called nitric oxide, but the molecules of casein in milk prevent catechins from fabricating the generation of nitric oxide.
Deleted profile
Good question.
The below link is very useful regarding this question.
Deleted profile
NO,It is not healthy
Milk is Healthy(alone)
Tea Is Health(alone) .
SUGAR , When We Add all of them together . The approx sugar we add in cup of tea is 20grams (Two tea spoon).
1 gram sugar = 4 calories
20grams = 80 calories .(Only from sugar)+ 100 ml milk (45 calories)+tea(almost no calories) , 1 cup of tea gives you 125 calories . if you drink 3–4 cups in day than input from tea is 375- 500calories.
For average male sugar in take is 40 grams per day and average female 25 grams .by drinking tea it will increase our sugar intake. You Can drink 1 cup of tea per day but make sure you will not take sugar from other food stuff.
By Mixing tea , milk and sugar , tea antioxidant will not be absorb by our body .
Yes it is absolutely healthy to drink milk tea daily on your daily basis
There are many health benefits of milk tea. This benefit produced by the combination of milk and tea. A milk and tea have some health benefit in their self, and when this two beverages are mixed, it will gives health benefits. The health benefit that gives by this beverage is keeping our immune. Immune is the most important thing inside the body because has function to guard our healthy.
Milk has contains many chemical composition that needed by body. A milk can stimulates child growth, because it contains some nutrition that body’s child need. Milk will keeps the bone and brain to grow. In other side, milk has good effect to delay a hunger while changing fat into an energy. The most import resulted from milk is strengthen teeth and bone, especially in growing child.
A tea contains chemical compound that body needs. Every chemical compound has function to our body. A chemical compound like antioxidant is the most important nutrition to our body. This compound can protect us from free radical that will destroy our immune. Tea also have a good effect on our mind because it can stimulate and relaxing mind. Consume a tea will also resulted skin health and avoid stroke.
Deleted profile
I agree with Prof. Shibabrata Pattanayak.
Parisa Ziarati
Dear Dr Mahesh Kumar
the most important thing:
Aishah Ramadan Mohamed
wadi Al-shatti University
Good question. Since many people like Blake tea with milk..but there's needed for new studies to observe it is said effects and benefits
Khalid Al-Salhie
University of Basrah
I drink it everyday in the Iraq thirce a day.
regards
When we talk about good or badness associated with drinking tea, I would like to assume that the tea is made out of tea leaves.
Drinking tea in moderation, in my opinion, should not be bad.
One participant in this discussion has earlier mentioned that tea can interfere with calcium assimilation in the body. I have also read about it some where. The mechanism is not known to me.
If tea leaves are boiled with water, during the process of boiling, more and more tanin, a harmful compound, gets extracted out of the leaves into the concoct. Drinking such tea may not be good for our health. Ideally, tea leaves should be added into already boiled hot water and the mixture should not be boiled further.
I do agree with Dr. Pattanayak that one should be very much skeptic about drinking tea from a road-side tea stall in India.
Dennis Mazur
Oregon Health and Science University
References on black tea
1.
The effect of black tea on blood pressure: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
Greyling A et al. PLoS One. (2014)
2.
Black tea consumption and serum cholesterol concentration: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
Zhao Y et al. Clin Nutr. (2015)
Black tea polyphenols: a mechanistic treatise.
Butt MS et al. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. (2014)
Dennis Mazur
Oregon Health and Science University
References on green tea.
1.
Green tea and anticancer perspectives: updates from last decade. Butt MS et al. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. (2015)
2.
Effects of green tea or green tea extract on insulin sensitivity and glycaemic control in populations at risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.
Wang X et al. J Hum Nutr Diet. (2014)
3.
Interaction of green tea catechins with breast cancer endocrine treatment: a systematic review.
Yiannakopoulou EC et al. Pharmacology. (2014)
Mahesh Kumar
Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology
All My Dear worthy colleagues thanks for valuable answers and suggestions.
I am highly impressed by the information provided by Dr Nihad Mohammed.
Thanks again.
Hom Nath Chalise
Tribhuvan University
Best way to enjoy either Tea or Coffee is in its natural state i.e without sugar and milk. It refreshes you.
Lamia Mustafa Al-Naama
University of Basrah
It is a matter of taste, enjoying black tea with milk or alone makes you feel relaxed. Others preferred green tea to help digestion.
Thank you RG colleague for the informative listed above
Isam Issa Omran
Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University
There is one bad thing in the effect of this mixture (tea + milk) on the absorption of calcium, because caffeine raises the amount of calcium in the urine, and reduces the level of absorption in the digestive system, so prefer to avoid the combination of tea and milk in people with osteoporosis or exposed Infection. But even so, many people drink tea and milk together in a single drink, which combines their benefits
Hind S. Abdulhay
Baghdad University College of Science
We all drink tea with milk, but as they say, I'm not sure the truth of the information that there is no beneft for milk (calcium) when drinking with tea as it prevents absorption, but I continue to drink them together for delicious taste.
Hassan Nima
University of Basrah
this link is useful
https://www.webmd.com › Vitamins and Supplements › Reference
regards
Ahmed Mahdi
Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University
Interesting question, informative answers
Dhiaa Neama Jabbar
Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University
I drink black tea 3 to 4 times daily.
Yehya A. Salih
University of Basrah
Dear Dr. Mahesh Kumar..
Tea contains caffeine , when we mix the tea with milk , the iron in the milk was not absorbed by human body because of tea. So the milk looses some benefits.
Best regards..
Duraid K. Al-Taey
Al-Qasim Green University
The researchers measured the effects of drinking black tea, tea with milk and plain hot water on 16 women volunteers. Regular tests on the bronchial artery of the forearm for two hours after drinking showed that black tea promoted dilation of the blood vessels. "We found that ... the addition of milk completely prevents the biological effect," said the lead author, Mario Lorenz, a molecular biologist.
Nudrat Zahid
Bern University of Applied Sciences
Hi,
I also drink lots of tea but try to reduce its intake. In my country its traditional to drink tea in the morning and afternoon to keep one alert and active during summer times. Also for welcoming guests. Addition of milk in black tea reduces the acidity of our high brewed type of tea compared to Swiss tea which is very mild.
It has been observed that too much of black tea causes some bone mineral issues and skin blackening. When the amount of its intake is decreased, things start getting normal. Due to tannins and oxalates, it hampers the bioavailability of calcium and iron in the body specially in those who are already low in these nutrients due to poor dietary issues caused by their economic reasons. Pregnant women are specially advised to avoid or take only 1 cup during pregnancy. If children have to take during partying then lots of milk is added in a week tea. Black tea is also an addition, not easy to leave. Withdrawal symptoms are same as that for cigarette e.g, headaches etc. Skin discoloration has also been noticed with its high consumption, maybe because it hampers the iron absorption.
1st Aug, 2018
Subhash C. Kundu
Gurugram University Gurugram
Tea drinkers enjoy some protection against heart disease. But the benefits are completely wiped out if, like most of the British population, they add milk, researchers reveal today.
Tea has long been thought to have health benefits for the heart and in the prevention of cancer. But researchers from Germany, writing in the European Heart Journal, suggest that their findings about milk ought to lead to an urgent reassessment of the effect of tea on cancer prevention.
"Since milk appears to modify the biological activities of tea ingredients, it is likely that the anti-tumour effects of tea could be affected as well," said one of the authors, Verena Stangl, professor of cardiology at the Charité hospital, Berlin.
1st Aug, 2018
Saif Hosam Raheem
University of Al-Qadisiyah
Tea has long been thought to have health benefits for the heart and in the prevention of cancer. But researchers from Germany, writing in the European Heart Journal, suggest that their findings about milk ought to lead to an urgent reassessment of the effect of tea on cancer preventio
1st Aug, 2018
Dhyaa Allban
University of Al-Qadisiyah
Does not pose any harm to the body.
1st Aug, 2018
Dhyaa Allban
University of Al-Qadisiyah
ike drink black tea and milk.
Deleted profile
I drink black tea without sugar/milk may be 8-9 glass a day.....Prepared by myself...However, I heard local tea manufacturing companies add colour to it....
1st Aug, 2018
Khulood Obaid
University of Kerbala
Thanks,
Good luck
1st Aug, 2018
Salwan Al-Maliki
Al-Qasim Green University
By combining a tea and milk together in the same place, you might lose the vital benefits of tea and milk as such due to negative interactions might restrict the absorption process.
Catia Cillóniz
Hospital Clinic of Barcelona; University of Barcelona
Dear Mahesh Kumar In my opinion there is not enough scientific information to verify its impact on our health or the information is contradictory about all the effects of black tea in blood concentrations of coleterol, however in my opinion, taking it in moderation can not be harmful unless you have gastric problems
Sivanathan Sivaruban
International Training Institute Port Moresby Papua New Guinea
I am normally taking black tea with low fat milk without sugar once a day for the week but during the week ends twice. I am eating dates (3 to 5 dates)while drinking black tea with milk to get sugar taste.
Khulood Obaid
University of Kerbala
Thanks all dears colleagues

Chapter
During a tea party in the 1920s in Cambridge, United Kingdom, the waiter presented cups, a pot of tea and milk in a tray to the party guests.