Question
Asked 29th Nov, 2013

Does anyone have an experience with Data Export from Philips IntelliVue Monitors using Matlab for capturing Data & Wave?

I have been trying to data and wave capture from Philips IntelliVue Monitor using Matlab for our research studies in real time. Does anyone have some code they are willing to share? The community's help in this important matter?

Fan Pan
Sichuan University
thank you all, these information are very useful

Popular answers (1)

John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
There are two types of connectors on Intellivue platform, the MIB (ISO/IEEE framing) which is similar to RS232 but has a RJ45 type connector with specific wiring. The other type is regular LAN port which can be connected to a PC via a crossover LAN cable or even a regular LAN cable with Internet sharing or router configuration. See some details here: https://sourceforge.net/p/vscapture/discussion/general/thread/d87f964f/#32be and here https://sourceforge.net/p/vscapture/discussion/general/thread/cb369fa9/

2nd Dec, 2013
Jonathan P Mynard
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
I would suggest contacting Phillips with this question.
2nd Dec, 2013
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Jonathan,
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately Phillips was unable to provide me with an answer.
3rd Feb, 2014
Michael Wee-Kong Lim
Cardiff University
We recently had to deal with this issue. Medical monitoring equipment is tightly controlled to prevent unauthorised access and crashes. So you will need institutional and manufacturer support before data export is even possible. We had to buy Phillips' Research Data Export software which is reasonable at around £2000. This is a server-side software, so you may need to buy more hardware to enable networking if your device is not already enabled. If you just need data export from one device, then ixTrend (http://www.ixellence.com) is an alternative at around half the price. However, we could not get that to work because the network ports were disabled by default at my institution. To get data out, we would have needed Engineering to enable the ports one at a time. So because we are trying to grab data on a large scale, we opted for the server-side RDE.
3rd Feb, 2014
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Jan & Michael
First of all what software version on the IntelliVue MPXX models do you currently have? Secondly both MIB/RS232 and LAN ethernet ports provide both Waveform and numerical data. What are you trying to achieve? Are you looking to extract:
Numerical Data
Waveforem Data
Alarms & Alerts
additional info
Currently we are sending our Numerical Data feed from the MIB/RS232 to our EMR(AIMS) system by using an middleware interface application sw provided by Capsultech known as Datacaptor. Datacaptor is a proprietory sotware and convert the raw numerical data feed from the IntelliVue to XML format. However Datacaptor is unable to capture waveforem Data.
iXTrend would be your best bet to extract both Numerical and waveform data but again both software application are going to cost you more than $500+ per device connection.
SInce we wanetd to acquire numerical and waveform data, this commerically based middleware interface appl was not feasible for us.
Therefore we have been working on an alternative solution that might be helpful to you and Michael which is almost FREE!
Please send me your contact information and we can discuss it further.
Thank you,
Best regards
Tim
3rd Feb, 2014
Michael Wee-Kong Lim
Cardiff University
Hi Tim,
Many proprietary software cannot grab data at less than 10 sec intervals - I think this complies with HL7 standards. So you need "extra-clinical" software. Which I think is what you are developing. But RDE is also a (more expensive?) solution. I am capturing both numeric and waveform data using RDE. I have 1 GB data from less than 10 patients. So you can see this approach is not going to scale well for large numbers of patients. My co-workers in computing have developed a waveform-compression method, so this may be an area of collaboration. RDE being a server-side solution, costs the same no matter how many devices are connected, so cost per device rapidly falls. But I was in your position a year or so ago, when I am getting nowhere without appreciable funding for data extraction, so I fully understand and support your developing an alternative solution.
3rd Feb, 2014
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Ofcourse we would be willing to collaborate. By the way the what is the sampling frequency of the IntelliVue Patient monitor?
Issues that we are trying to resolve are related to latency over the network as well as time synchronization.
We would be interested in collaboration, let me know how we can setup a conference call to discuss in more detail.
Cheers
Tim Rajah
Michael Wee-Kong Lim
Cardiff University
Not sure what the exact sampling frequency is. Order of milliseconds I think. We have identified time synchronisation as a problem we need to solve to merge discrete data (such as interventions) with monitored numeric and continuous data, so you are ahead of us in that respect. So yes, I see complementary possibilities. Let me forward this thread to my computing colleagues and see when we can conference call.
Michael Wee-Kong Lim
Cardiff University
BTW, what do you mean by "almost free"?
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Well what I meant is that it requires tweaking..and developing the drivers for the device you intend to use it for.
Cheers
Tim
Almir Badnjevic
University of Sarajevo
Dear Rajah first of all you need to have some Knowledge about connecting devices. Throw RS232 you can get "data" from Philips monitor. Of course RS232 signal is Just voltage signal, and you need some programming code to read it. The Best solution is software for reading data, but you need to buy it or similar. Take Care about RS232 cable (about pins and its connecting).
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Almir,
Thank you for your response. I am fully aware of the raw data from the RS232 serial port connection (DB-9 Pin) (Rx,Tx, GND: 2,3,5). There is much more than just extracting the data correctly. That is why you need to have the Data export manual from the manufacturer to understand the data format and what value output is related to which specific parameter. Hence it is not as straightforward as you think it might be. Yes the colde is available in Java, where you can extract both Numerical and Waveform (analog waveform) data output. I think the sampling rate is about 100-210 Hz.
Thanks
Tim
Almir Badnjevic
University of Sarajevo
If I remember when you want to read data Throw RS232 cable (signals) you need to replace pins 3 and 7 or similar. Then yoi will be able to read it.
If You want to play with it, Use Arduino or Pic, and then enjoy programming it, and using data...
Try first with Simple and cheap device, After it Use it on monitor.
Andy Clark
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Hi Tim,
I would be very interested to know more about your free-ish solution. We have a low rate data capture requirement for standalone monitors in resusc rooms and only need to log numeric parameters.
Cheers
Andy
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Andy,
Would be more than happy tp help you. Please send me an e-mail to rajahtm at mail dot nih dot gov.
Thank you,
sincerely
tim
Balazs Krisztian Fule
Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Hello Tim,
We are looking for solutions to download data from our Philpis Intellivue central station serving a 30 bedded ICU
Could you please share your experience with sorting this problem?
Regards,
Balazs
Chan Mty
Company
Hello,
I am following this post quite sometime, and started to search a doable solution. This is first time I failed to get a suitable solution from Web, so started scratch my head.
In the short to the answer of Mr Taimoore, MATLAB is a bad selection for this job. Rather I shall suggest, make it in two step: One for data decoding (in C++, not C) and the second if for simulation or putting your own algo to get combined output to control X,Y,Z (in MATLAB). However, its your choice and doable in MATLAB too.
I have suggested because I am little familiar with all common lang (C, C++, MATLAB, LAbView, .Net, JAVA) and personally following C# for rapid development, but C++ will be a sustainable fast solution which you can make almost real-time.
In the whole web, probably there are only two places where the Intellivue data export guide is available, one of which is the old version (not for MP80), and another one is newer but not downloadable [Please dont ask me to give those, rather search it, you must get it.].
Those documents sense a lot if you have data at your hand, otherwise its nothing. It is intentionally poorly documented and probably the documents are prepared by developers where the high level "abstract structures" are placed as it is like a C++ snippet.
However, the following info may be useful for others who are trying to interface:
1. Intellivue send a lot of lot of data over LAN (and MIB/RS232)...in 7-8 mins I have received >800KB UDP packets ! In a single packet, it can transfer 10 to 100 parameters detail.
2. The data are never HL7 encoded. They follow Philips "Data export Protocol". The HL7 myth is only available if you purchase the 'software" from Philips for data export that runs in server.
3. The Intellivue sends data very fast and with time-stamping of 8 B (absolute time) and 6B (relative) with precision of 1/8 mS (or less? I need to follow the 300 pg doc). Most software fails to decode and parse the data in real time. But it is not impossible to capture with high end system or dedicated embedded Systems running parallel threads together.
4. The Wave Objects format is most complex data and not documented well in comparison of Numerical and System, Alert , Patient Demo, Connect Identification etc....attributes.
5. It sends about 1000 (Exactly 932 as per old doc and my code which seems to increase following new doc) different data with 202 different units and 70 different attributes (as per old doc, hope two more will be added :0x099E and 0xF294 as per new doc). Note, One attribute can hold multiple parameters and multiple parameters may have similar unit.
As of now, I am able to make the library to decode one and the most powerful attribute : Compound Numeric observed value (0x094B).
I should stop now, as already it became a long post and some other time, if needed, I shall explain the hardware interface process.
Hope, this info may give some more insight view.
23rd May, 2014
Chandan Maity
Lot of Attribute ID are missing in document such as:
0x998, 0x94E, 0x94F.
Can anybody share any info regarding those parameters.
Also, can anybody share the binary data so that the library can be tested?
23rd May, 2014
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Dear Chandan Maity,
I am more than happy to help and assist you. As you are aware this website is primarily focussed to freely share information openly among clinical researchers and scientists.
I can help but my question to you is will you be willing to contribute towards the community?
I am receiving a lot of inquiries but we need a community effort where everyone shares the load.
There is a lot of effort and hard work that has been put into and I feel it is fair to ask people to share their efforts. The complexity involved in developing this system is not straightforward at all.
So please think about it and let me know your decision.
Thank you,
Best regards
Tim
23rd May, 2014
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Chandan,
first of all what model and sw version of IntelliVue are you trying to access?
- What are you trying to achieve with this project and what is the END goal?
- Are you trying to extract both waveform and numerical data?
- Are you extracting data from LAN or Serial RJ45?
- What physiological, hemodynamic and gas parameters you are interested in?
23rd May, 2014
Chandan Maity
Tim,
-I am primarily intending to get the interface with MP80, and successively MP40, 60.
-The interface and decoding is important to control an infusion pump automatically following a complex algorithm (details are classified may be shared in closed channel) and also for research activity for students.
-Although all data to be decoded, for a longer scope, but primarily targeting to Numerical data only.
-I am extracting data from LAN, and can extract data from RJ45 also (after successive configuration of BOOTP server), but I am not intending to disturb the Philips set-up and targeting to ensure only to capture inbound data and not inject any data to LAN except network formation packets for UDP.
-As primary goal, ABP to PAP (mmHg), BIS, MAC ratio, HR (bmp) are prime target but other data also to be filtered correctly. So, I am mapping and parsing the data following the attribute ID, Unit ID and Physiological ID. But, I am able to trace some attribute IT as stated earlier.
-Chandan
23rd May, 2014
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Chandan,
Please e-mail me at rajahtm@mail.nih.gov so that we can discuss in more detail about your project.
Thank you
Chandan Maity
One interesting observation, you may like to know: One of my intention was to see "how fast data extraction required ans possible". I captured data for approx 10 mins and it captured roughly 990 valid UDP packets[Intellivue to Host/network]. When I passed all data together to my library, it took nearly 5-6 mins to parse and decode all data to readable format and store in a txt file. Its quite promising as I am using single sequential thread in i-5,2.5GHz,4GB system which is average spec system available right now and with high spec, I can achieve it more faster to do the decoding in almost real-time if the data are actually sent from "Monitor" in real-time. :)
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Chandan,
So basically you are tapping into the Philips LAN Gateway center network and acquiring data? Does the device not have the RS232/MIB serial port physically present? What type of latency have you observed?
Set the system in Demo mode and you can view wave and numerical data.
Chandan Maity
Hello all,
 It is not 100% tested and you will be helping to test it. :)
The library contains two dlls. The demo C# application also included with a sample data chunk.
The decoded, and undecoded data will be shown as well as stored in text files.
Decode_Library.dll is the mail library (other one is just supporting file required with Decode_Library.dll) that can be incorporated with and .net platform or any other language with native codes.
The Library is stored as .rar file. Just drop a mail at "intellivue.philips@gmail.com" for the password.
Please report your problems or query at : "intellivue.philips@gmail.com
Simon Tilma Vistisen
Aarhus University Hospital
Just to comment on a few of the questions posed in this thread:
RDE exports wave data at 125 Hz. As far as I know, this is the native resolution of the curves. The (up to four) waves that can be accessed back in time in the "central monitors" (showing real time data from typically some 8 patients) are the curves that are stored in the central network server - and subsequently exported with RDE from there. I.e. data is not coming directly from the monitors when using RDE.
I am not aware of any ways to interact directly with Matlab - at least not with the central data server. If you do not need to work real-time with the data, I would certainly recommend RDE and then do csv export from there... An important feature with RDE is that you can get the data back in time, "retrospectively", you may say. This is not possible with e.g. IxTrend where you can only get date from the point in time where you decide to initiate a data acquisition.
Vincent Quinten
University of Groningen
Did anybody succesfully capture the data from the Philips Intellivue monitor?
Peter Walker
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Vincent /Simon, 
I've not tested as it transpired we have a slightly different requirement and I've not got access to the .net skills to test at this time. 
Our patients often are taken to MRI or other areas whilst still connected to the X2  but not the monitor. 
The only method we have at this time (as we don't have Philips central monitoring) is to take the X2 to ITU, insert in to a monitor, alllow it to sync and then print the trend report that has all the data we need and then scan. 
Is there a way to capture the trend 'print' in to an XML or TXT file ?
I'm not familiar with RDE?
Peter
Chandan Maity
Tim,
As you can see, my development became very slow as my team-members almost dispersed and we were not able to collect project fund!
In the mean time, I am getting huge query in mail to share the code.
Hence, probably very soon I shall make it open source project.
What do you think? Any comment?
Vincent Quinten
University of Groningen
Hi Peter et al.,
I have no experience with RDE either. But I do have .Net skills.
I have emailed Chandan to get the example code, but did not receive an answer yet. I am very curious if somebody got it working, since I want to use the data for my new research project.
Vincent
Vincent Quinten
University of Groningen
Hi Chandan,
I would very much like the idea of making it open source. Perhaps I could also unleash some of my .Net development skills on the code in that case.
Vincent
Chandan Maity
Hi Vincent,
My present situation and scope is not very promising to work further on that issue. Also, as the said mail-id is full of spams and my secondary mail-id I was not able to verify the mails regularly.
However, I am attaching here the rar file without any password.
Just use id to decode the data.
Again, it is not completed. It is just data decoding library. somebody should work on data-capturing module (Although I did almost 80% of that, but not completed).
I shall try to make it open source very soon if get time to document,
Regards,
Chandan
Chandan Maity
As you know, there is "NO" codes or "DOCUMENT" available in open channel of GOOGLE's eye !
Hence, already there are threats ! Still, who cares !
I tried to connect and get help at least 10 Philips guy through various corners to get the latest doc of "Data Interface Protocol".....not a single reply !!!  Somehow I managed and started with an old doc. I never saw a nasty doc/datasheet like that. However, I managed to understand that.
And now, not only the doc, I shall reveal the code !!!!!
You already know  http://www.capsuletech.com/ and b) http://www.ixellence.com are the two company selling the support at significant cost.....but we all need the support free for billion lives. Let me contribute at least 1ppm. 
Chandan Maity
Hello all,
Please find the open-source code at
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Chandan,
Nice to hear from you again. I did send you a pdf on the communication protocol for the Philips IntelliVue? DId you not receive it?
Vincent,
I would highly suggest that you develop the code in C or C++ instead of .Net platform. The MDPnP group has written code for the IntelliVue MPXX in Java but the communication protocol layer they have implemented is DDS (data distribution systems). It's pretty complicated and would take a while to understand. But it is doable. We intend to implement either ZeroMQ or MQTT on a RTOS based system to reduce jitter and latency issues.
We intend to use the ARM platform instead of the x86 family processors. 
Cheers
Tim
Chandan Maity
Yes, Tim. I received your doc and really appreciate for this.
I used .net for rapid development. And believe, very soon some one wil contribute the c++ library (really contribute??).
The link is open.
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Chandan and VIncent,
You may want to consider some c++ objects their IDL definitions provided by MDPnP.
And optionally strings they use for nomenclature can be generated into constants in code with:
By the way since you have an interest in Embedded systems, currently looking into Xenomai, Yocto project and FreeRTOS open source. Let me know your thoughts.
For start we will be using BeagleBoneBlack as our SBD.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Tim
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Chandan,
Thanks, much appreciated. For RTOS C/C++ is the way to go, we thought of using Java but due to overhead and latency issues we decided finally that C/C++ would be the way to go long term wise, if you want the data to be almost real-time.
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
When I spoke to IntelliVue R&D the auto polling request can only be done every 1 sec. Any polling request below 1 sec (i.e. 500 msec) will cause either no response to the request or cause erroneous data output.
Thanks
Tim
Chad W Washington
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Hi Tim,
I was wondering if it would be possible to get the Philips Communication Protocol.  Thanks,
Chad W.
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Chad,
Please send me a request via email at rajahtm@mail.nih.gov.
Thanks
Tim
Simon Tilma Vistisen
Aarhus University Hospital
Hi Peter Walker (et al.)
I am quite sure that you with the X2 plugging into the ITU monitoring system are able to use Philips' own commercially available RDE solution and get trend data out in a .txt format. For now, I have Research Data Export (RDE) setup in our PICU, post-operative TICU and MICU at Skejby University Hospital, Denmark. In the coming weeks, I expect to have this set up for our MICU, too. With this solution it is possible to export trend data (sampled every minute) and also the historical curves that you can see in the central monitors for all admitted patients. Those curves come at 125 Hz.
RDE is really simple. In fact, you buy it (it's not too expensive in my opinion), and then the Philips technician should set it up. You also have to have/buy a PC (the export target) and make a shared network folder (perhaps you want the folder to be on an external HDD attached to the PC) and you have to make your hospital network guys patch up a specified network plug (for the PC) such that the central database server (collecting the wards trend and curve data for admitted patients) can point to the PC, in which you specify a static IP address and a shared network folder to point at. In the database server, RDE is enabled, and the IP address and shared folder is specified as a path.
Think of this as the PC being an additional unit on the monitoring network acting as a unit where research data can be stored (after discharge).
On the PC (the export target), you also install a little program, called RDE Viewer. From the program, you can export to ascii (.csv), that most programs can interpret. I think the standard is a tab-delimited file.
Our Phliips supplier was unfamiliar with RDE when I approached them, but their technician and I managed to set it up in two half days. I think that effort was worth it all - and now I can easily do my research. And I do not even have to be at the bedside all the time and interface to the monitors because data is already stored by the database server, (from which desired trend and curve data can be exported) :-)
I would encourage you all to at least ask your Philips supplier for the RDE solution - unless, of course, the funny part is making the interface, which perhaps could be more dynamic/user friendly in than RDE, in terms of selecting which data to capture. I find the research part most interesting, and setting up the right curves for export didn't take long :-)
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello John
Thank you for the information. By the way did you develop the interface in C/C++, .net, C#, Lab View or Java?
Thanks
Tim
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
 Hello John,
Your program is proprietary like any other commercial product out there. There are many commercial vendors who are selling the same type of product that you do.
We are using Linux based RTOS OS platforms. We are clinical researchers look for open scalable platform.
Thanks
Tim
Yuan-Fa Lee
Industrial Technology Research Institute
Hi Sir,
I want to study Philips IntelliVue Data Export  Interface Programming Guide. Can somebody share me (yuanfalee@itri.org.tw) this document? Thank you very much.
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Yuan-Fa Lee,
Sure I'll send it to you. and might send you another document that summarizes the document.
Thanks
Tim
1st Jul, 2015
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Researchers,
We have started to work on the prototype of develop the "Black Box" that will capture, display and archive real-time data from the IntelliVue patient monitors and also from other hemodynamic monitors as well.
We have decided that the best approach would be to develop the code in C/C++ due to its robustness. We platform would be based on embedded Linux i.e. Debin, Ubuntu etc which would release us from purchasing the license for the OS. For the user interface we are implemented the Qt 5.4 Framework on the BeagleBone Black single board computer. We might look into ODROID C1 or U3 since these have a small footprint and have powerful processing power. So we will be using
Programming Language: C/C++, Matlab Wrappers
GUI: Qt 5.4 Framework
Embedded OS: Linux distros: Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora
Small Board PC: BeagleBone Black , Odroid C1/U3
This will be our ofcourse our prototype development. Other areas of research will be done on:
Embedded Real-time Database
Real-time Communication Layer: DDS, ZeroMQ, MQTT, CoAP etc
Once the prototype is initially developed, issues like latency and performance will be optimized and looked into.
I appeal to the research community that for us to be successful and help each other, we need your help and guidance. Any software developer who can give us some time to help with the code would be greatly appreciated. This is for a good cause and we intend to provide the system to the community. Anyone with database design experience would be greatly appreciated, furthermore anyone with real-time communication such as pub-sub expertise who is willing to help us for a good cause would be greatly appreciated.
Also any clinical scenarios or workflows you would like to share, please do so.
I hope to hear from the researchers.
Thanks
Tim
Robert Hommes
Eindhoven University of Technology
Hey Simon!
Did you find a way to convert the RDE files into cvs files with a export length bigger than one hour for waveform data and 24 hour for trend data?
Cause I have all my patient nicely within the RDE viewer but exporting is really a pain in the ass.
Love to hear from you!
Kind regards,
Robert
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hello Robert,
RDE (research data export) is a proprietary data format which belongs to Philips Medical. We are trying to avoid using any Proprietary application to so that anyone can use application.We want to use open source data formats that everyone can use without any obstacles. So we are looking into HDF and other related Hiearachial Binary formats that are fast and scalable.
Thanks
Tim
Robert Hommes
Eindhoven University of Technology
Hey Tim, 
Yeah i get that but that is only benificial if  you havent collected any data yet. If you already have a database within the RDE environment it will be challenging to transform into the newly created HBF format to enable export
kind regards 
Taimoore Rajah
National Institutes of Health
Hi Robert,
No we haven't done it yet therefore we are looking into a more robust embedded database system which will be capable of collecting and storing data every 1 second.
Let me know if you have any ideas? However I have been looking into the following the following projects that might be an interest to you.
Let me know your thoughts and if you have any expertise in this area I would really appreciate your help in this matter.
Thanks
Tim
Simon Tilma Vistisen
Aarhus University Hospital
Dear Robert,
Sorry for not answering! I have not been looking at this thread for quite some time.
I expect that you have solved the problem? but here's just an answer for the forum:
Yes, you can export the curve data with any specific length. This troubled me for a while too.
The problem is most likely that you use a B version of RDE Viewer running on XP. The C version (that Philips in Eindhoven should be able to supply!) runs on my Win7. In that version, you simply specify the data length :-)
1st Apr, 2017
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
#VSCapture (open source project at https://sourceforge.net/projects/vscapture/ ) support for realtime data capture from Philips Intellivue monitors is coming soon. Checkout the progress at https://github.com/xeonfusion/VSCaptureMP
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
VSCaptureMP v1.001 has been released! Download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/vscapture/ #VSCapture support for realtime numeric data capture from Philips Intellivue monitors added, capture via LAN port using UDP/IP protocol. Data capture in real-time using 1 second or greater interval, with CSV file export for easy import to MS Excel. Latest source code also available at: https://github.com/xeonfusion/VSCaptureMP
Simon Tilma Vistisen
Aarhus University Hospital
Thanks John!
Is  waveform capture (125 Hz ECG, ABP, etc.) possible with  this solution?
Michael Wee-Kong Lim
Cardiff University
Does not sound like it. You need order of 10 ms intervals to capture waveforms. 1 second or greater is too slow. However, the last piece of hardware - Phillips monitor via LAN port - should be able to export data fast for waveforms. But not sure if the software can actually capture at that speed. 
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
Hi Simon,
VSCaptureMP, an open source project, currently supports fast, real-time (1sec interval) numeric data capture from Philips Intellivue monitors directly via the LAN port. Waveform capture is also definitely possible as per the Data Export Programming Guide, I haven't yet added that feature although most of the groundwork code for decoding the protocol has been added. So stay tuned and follow the project site! If you have C# programmers in your team, you could contribute to the development.
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
#VSCaptureMP support for real-time waveform capture from Philips Intellivue monitors is coming soon! Recognize the waveform plotted?
21st Apr, 2017
Simon Tilma Vistisen
Aarhus University Hospital
Good news, indeed!
Unfortunately, I do not have any C# programmers around.
Does the software support both LAN communication and communication via the "RS232 connector"? - LAN is probably not the most optimal for ICU wards because that connector is most often reserved for communication with the central station, which collects data from the ward's beds.
But, again: Good news!
21st Apr, 2017
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
You can checkout the latest source code with waveform support here https://github.com/xeonfusion/VSCaptureMP . It supports LAN for now via UDP/IP protocol. Direct connection via LAN is usually more robust, straightforward (requires no special cables) than using the legacy RS232 protocol (which can have issues due to dodgy USB to serial cables and drivers). But the RS232 interface maybe needed if the iCentral network has already been associated with the monitor. Extending this app to support RS232 shouldn't be too hard, those serial frames can be created from modified UDP messages. I had already created a RS232 based app for GE in the past, at some point will do this for Intellivue.
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
 VSCaptureMP real-time data capture of ECG waveform, data exported as CSV files visualized with scatter plot tool in MS Excel. Download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/vscapture/files/PhilipsIntellivue/
Comment
2nd Aug, 2017
Bharat Prajapati
Ganpat University
Thank you all for your contribution towards research. 
Right now, i am doing research on generating some new useful knowledge towards human society using IOT - "Internet of Things"  with the help of bedside monitor.
Though, my skill background is in Computer Science & Application, I don't have any idea regarding exporting data i.e. temperature, respiration rate, heart beat etc. from bedside monitors. 
I am highly thankful to all the researchers if you shared your valuable knowledge by answering my query.
Query :  
- Can i export bedside patient monitor data in CSV, xls, XML or any other format ? 
Thanks & Regards, 
Bharat Prajapati
Ganpat University
Thank you for your prompt response... 
I have search about MediCillector and found that it's paid service and they are charging about $1400.00 (http://www.medicollector.com/store/p1/medicollector-bedside-for-recording-exporting-from-patient-monitors). 
Is there any open source tool , which can help to retrieve patient bedside monitor data for research purpose. 
Jiayao Yuan
Columbia University
Hi guys,
I am now able to collect wave and numerics data from the Philips patient monitor, but I am not sure how to calibrate the wave data. For example, some waves come in without calibration specification attribute or anything useful for calibration. I have no idea how to handle them. I do not know how to handle bar type calibration either ( stair type and bar type calibration). 
Does anybody have a clue? I will appreciate it.
Jiayao
Jiayao Yuan
Columbia University
 Hi John, 
The plot you attached does not seem to be calibrated. Do you know how to do the calibration?
JY
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
@Jiayao VSCaptureMP saves the exact data output from the Intellivue monitor, the plot reflects the relative scale of the data obtained, which is fine for visual plot. For absolute scale (actual parameter voltage levels) & range, the source code may need to be tweaked a bit.
Boaz Yaari
Bar Ilan University
@John The source code for the waveform version (1.002) isn't available, is it a small addition to the code of 1.001?
Dear John,
Thanks so much for your effort bringing us this software! I'm interested in using VSCaptureMPWave for getting the arterial pressure waveform from the Philips Intellivue MP700 monitor.
Is it possible to get a binary file for the software and a brief manual about how to get it working?
Thank you very much in advance.
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
You can capture the arterial waveform data (csv data that can be plotted using scatter plot tool in MS Excel) using VSCaptureMPv1.002Binary from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vscapture/files/PhilipsIntellivue/ , follow the onscreen prompts, it works via the LAN port on the monitor, connected via regular or crossover LAN cable. The monitor needs a DHCP assigned address as mentioned here: https://sourceforge.net/p/vscapture/discussion/general/thread/d87f964f/
Anirudha Das
Cleveland Clinic Children's
Hi all,
Any ideas about GE monitors we are using in our NICU? How to get numerical and waveform data from them?
Thanks,
Ani
31st Oct, 2017
William Charash
University of Vermont
Hello. I am new to this forum. I am using the Phillips IntelliVue MP70 and I am interested in capturing waveforms. I could only get VSCapture MP_MIB v1.002 to work. I tried v1.005 and it would not work (nor would v1.001) - in each of these two cases, no data streams and no csv file gets written.
I have two problems that I was hoping someone could possibly help with:
1) I keep getting a 'checksum' error message as the data streams by. When I plot the waveforms in excel, there are glitches (missing data) that I believe correspond to the checksum error messages I get. I tried changing the baud rate of the download from the monitor, but if I use anything other thatn the default 115200 baud rate, I don't get any data transferred.
2) the time stamps are in the form of day-month-year hour:min:sec:.xxx But there are a cluster of data points that download with a single time stamp, and then another cluster that downloads with a time stamp at some variable interval (ususally some fraction close to a second) later. Is this phenomenon a function of the way the monitor outputs the data (if so, is there some way to change that?) or is this an issue with VSCapture?
Thank you so much for a wonderful software tool!
Bill
1st Nov, 2017
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
VSCaptureMPv1.002 can capture waveform data from Intellivue monitors. Each of the apps correspond to a specific monitor or medical device. If you are getting frequent checksum errors, try changing to serial cable to an FTDI chipset cable (some of the cheaper ones tend to create errors at high baud rates). Settings like baud rate need not be changed in the monitor. The timestamps are exported as captured from the monitor and from system time. Values with same relative timestamp are grouped together.
William Charash
University of Vermont
Thanks so much. I obtained a cable with the FTDI chipset and no data is lost. I also was able to determine that there are 125 samples per second, so I can assign relative time on that basis. I really appreciate all of the help and advice.
Bill
Sree Niranjanaa Bose S
PSG College of Technology
Is it possible to use VSCaptureMPv1.002 to capture waveform data from Philips SureSigns VM4 patient monitor? Because when I tried for it, I got the following error. Can someone help me with this issue.
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
SureSigns or Efficia monitor probably uses another data export protocol based on HL7. This app is meant for use with Intellivue MP & MX series.
Steven Dain
University of Waterloo
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
The latest VSCaptureMP source code for data acquisition from Philips Intellivue monitors, with options for realtime waveform priority data export and export via MIB port, has been released at the GitHub repo: https://github.com/xeonfusion/VSCaptureMP
1st Nov, 2018
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
#VSCapture app for data capture from Intellivue monitors, VSCaptureMPv1.004 update released. Added support for export of calibrated waveforms and monitor recorded time in CSV. Arterial BP values in realtime. #PPV https://sourceforge.net/projects/vscapture/files/PhilipsIntellivue/
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
VSCaptureMP v1.005 for data capture from Philips Intellivue monitors released, with support for command line parameters and HTTP JSON export. Compatible with Mono runtime (mono-sgen) on Raspberry Pi 3, to be run as an IoT module.
Johannes Enevoldsen
Aarhus University
I'm not affiliated with the project, but I can recommend Vital Recorder (https://vitaldb.net/vital-recorder) from a Korean research group. I've used it to record data from an Intellivue MP50, but it promises to support a number of other devices.
The software is free, but not open source.
I have some trouble with their tools to convert their binary format, but the binary format is well documented, so I'm writing a script to extract individual waveforms. It's a work in progress, but seems to work: https://github.com/JohannesNE/parse-vital/tree/master
Edit: Instead of using the script above, I would recommend saving the record as .edf, which saves the 'raw' records without downsampling.
Johannes Enevoldsen
Aarhus University
The 'LAN' port (RJ45) outputs a serial signal (RS-232), that should be connected to the computer via the computers serial port (or a USB to serial (RS-232) converter). You will also need an adapter (with the right pin connections) to connect the LAN cable to the serial port. The team behind Vital Recorder has provided thorough documentation on how to connect different hardware: http://vitaldb.net/docs/#
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
John George Karippacheril
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
#VSCapture update v1.006 for data export from Philips Intellivue monitors released. Bug fixes for numeric (float to double) data conversion, JSON export.https://sourceforge.net/projects/vscapture/files/PhilipsIntellivue/
Fan Pan
Sichuan University

What is InTech Open Science? A predatory or a ligitimate publisher?
Question
  • Stephen Jia WangStephen Jia Wang
Dear friends colleagues, have you ever received an invitation to publish your work at InTech Open Science (https://www.intechopen.com/)? I have recently been invited to edit a new book title for them. I am usually suspicious with such invitations and must check the authenticity of the publisher first. Interestingly, they claim that they have published the work for two recent Nobel Laureates. Therefore, I would appreciate your experience and opinions regarding InTech Open Science.
Kind regards,
Is intechopen a predatory publisher?
158 replies
  • Mohammad Al-QudahMohammad Al-Qudah
Dear colleagues
I was offered to write a chapter in a book for IntechOpen. Is it worth to publish them?
I am usually suspicious of such invitations. Therefore, I would appreciate your opinions in this regard and any past experiences of yours with this publisher.

During development and testing of the functionality of the pacemaker and defibrillator device, engineers in the St. Jude Medical Cardiac Rhythm Management Division use an in-house development tool called Universal Engineering Programmer (UEP) to ensure the device functions as expected, before it can be used to test on an animal or a human during th...
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is a university that encourages students to approach learning hands-on. As such, there is cutting-edge technology being developed by students in all departments on campus. Being that the university possesses an outstanding biomedical engineering department, there are groundbreaking medical de...
By utilizing biomedical instrumentation from other nations, and by designing and fabricating instrumentation in several institutes under the control of the Medical Industries Ministry and the U.S.S.R. Academy of Medical Sciences, the Soviet Union has attempted to a bridge a 20 to 30-year technology gap. The lack of interagency cooperation and sophi...