Question
Asked 3rd Feb, 2013

Does anyone know a good and free online database of IR spectra?

I need to assign some FT-IR spectra of my compounds (small organic) in terms of their vibration modes. I have a couple of books but I'd like to also have a look at online resources as well.

Vivek Patil
Auburn University
I think the best approach would be to compare the peaks in your spectrum with those reported in closely related research articles. This might be faster for finding the right type functional group that you are trying to detect, since IR is typically used for a variety of applications.

Popular answers (1)

Ross Birney
Northumbria Optical Coatings
There's a list of some spectral databases at
I think some of them are free, if I remember correctly.
Also, you might already have an account, but UK academics can sign up for a free account at the Chemical Database Service of Daresbury laboratory. I haven't used it for IR spectra (I mostly used it for XRD analysis), but I know there are a couple of IR spectra apps available.

Ross Birney
Northumbria Optical Coatings
Michael Schmidt
Leibniz Institute for Plasma Science and Technology
You can find a lot of IR spectra at http://www.ansyco.de/CMS/frontend/index.php?idcatside=124. NIST also provides some data.
Good Luck
Ferenc Borondics
SOLEIL synchrotron
You will find some resources here: http://midir.lightsource.ca/beamline/links Including links to spectral databases.
Marcin. Pastorczak
Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
Apart from IR contains also Raman, NMR and MS spectra of many chemicals
and of course reliable NIST standards database:
Stefan Persijn
VSL - Dutch Metrology Institute
Ali Poursamar
The University of Northampton
You may find this database useful: National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST); it is compound based but may be helpful
Thomas Fischer
Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus - Senftenberg
You can search for compounds here: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/ It will give you not only IR, but also MS, UVVIS and much more. If someone looks for minerals this is my favorite: http://rruff.info/ (mostly Raman but sometimes FTIR)
22nd Oct, 2013
Elena Yu. Ladilina
Russian Academy of Sciences
Ilona Jastrzębska
AGH University of Science and Technology in Kraków
Does anyone know some database of inorganic substances?
Dayana Agudelo-Castañeda
Universidad del Norte (Colombia)
Ilona, maybe in the spectral library of the USGS...
Blenson Paul
Technische Universität Dresden
Sabrina Lee
Liverpool Community College
Gunderao Kathwate
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Olivia Gómez Laserna
Universidad del País Vasco / Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea
Mansur Zarrabi
Alborz University of Medical Sciences
Dear Prof. Pedro Molina
Hello and I hope every thing is fine with you. I have the same problem as you. Do you can email your book concerning FTIR spectra? Really I can not access to related book.
Javad Frounchi
University of Tabriz
Dear all
I am looking for infrared  molar absorptivity coefficients of the following compounds:
succinimide, maleimide, glutarimide, caprolactam, 2-Pyrrolidinone, Anthracene, Indole.
Does anyone know any websites or book for this  kind of data.
Kindly please help me.
Thank you
Venkatesan Ragavendran
Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Viswa Mahavidyalaya University
Dear IIona,
You can refer the Socrates book as a reference to get all types of inorganic frequencies in the IR and Raman regions.
Mohamed Aqil
Mohammed VI Polytechnic University
SDBS is a strong spectral database system for organic compounds
Aappo Roos
Gasmet
We added peak search an some additional features to our FTIR-library java web start app on our web page. The library has >> 500 IR spectra of orcanic and inorganic components in gas phase. Component search works with English and German names as well as with CAS numbers. Have a look: http://ansyco.de/tools/ftir-spectrum-library 
1st May, 2018
Houtan Sadeghi-Jorabchi
University of Warwick Alumni & Friends
Register on site. It only takes a few seconds.
Type in the name of the compound you interested.
You end up with many options and spectra taken under various conditions.
Choose FTIR, eg transmission and click on the spectra. You end up with an enlarged interactive version.
If you have a university /company email then you can download KnowItAll for a short period and conduct spectra search etc.
Let me know if you have any issues.
Regards, Houtan
Jean-Francois Doussin
Interuniversity Laboratory of Atmospheric Systems
Looking for high quality gas phase infrared spectra for atmospheric monitoring or for other purpose ?
Check out the EUROCHAMP-2020 database ! Spectra of hundreds of gaseous species are freely searchable and downloadable.
Zhanna Boeva
Åbo Akademi University
Thanasis Mpouras
National Technical University of Athens
Dear Sirs/Madams,
Does anyone knows where can I find the IR spectrum of 2,2',2''-(hexahydro-1,3,5-triazine-1,3,5-triyl)triethanol?
3rd Jul, 2020
Abelouah Mohamed Rida
University Ibn Zohr - Agadir
I recommend this database :
31st Jul, 2020
Anish Dhungana
Colorado School of Mines
Does anyone know where can I find the IR spectrum of (E)-11-(4-(phenyldiazenyl)phenoxy)undecane-1-thiol?
23rd May, 2021
Gunderao Kathwate
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Thank you Sara Shamsi
21st Jun, 2021
Kofi Jr Prempeh
Uppsala University
Thank you
Sara Shamsi
.
21st Jul, 2021
Yassir Al jawaheri
University of Mosul
Friedrich Menges
Spectroscopy Ninja
Some free databases (mostly FTIR and Raman) made ready-to-use with Spectragryph software for download from here: https://www.effemm2.de/spectragryph/down_databases.html
23rd Apr, 2022
Ali Sonas
University of Uyo
Ioana Maria Cortea
National Institute for Research and Development in Optoelectronics
https://infraart.inoe.ro/ - Open Access Spectral Library of Art-Related Materials
Vivek Patil
Auburn University

Is there any free software available for FTIR analysis ?
Question
  • Noble K KurianNoble K Kurian
I have FTIR peaks of melanin from my organism and standards.How can I combine all that peaks so that I can represent the comparison in papers. Is there any free software available for this purpose.
-----

The spectral range of femtosecond time-resolved infrared spectroscopy is limited by the bandwidth of mid-IR pulses (100~400 cm−1) generated from the combination of Ti:Sapphire amplifier, Optical Parametric Amplifier (OPA), and Difference Frequency Generation (DFG). To overcome this limitation, we implement a compact continuum mid-IR source producin...
Infrared (IR) spectra were measured for cellulose Ibeta prepared from the mantle of Halocynthia roretzi over a temperature range of 30-260 degrees C to explore the temperature-dependent changes in hydrogen bonds (H-bonds) in the crystal. Structural changes at the phase transition temperature of 220 degrees C are elucidated at the functional group l...