Question
Asked 23rd Jun, 2015

Does anyone have a good digestion method for stainless steel?

I have used 3:1 HCl:HNO3 while adding 50% H2O2 and heating the sample on a hot plate. The sample is 0.05g stainless steel processed into small chips in a 100mL volumetric flask.

David Breit
United Technologies Corporation
Thank you very much! I will let you know my results.

Nathanael Morais
Instituto de Pesquisas Energéticas e Nucleares
I use this solution: 2 parts HNO3 + 1 part H2SO4. Don't use for analyse S precipitates or contents.
David Breit
United Technologies Corporation
How long does it take? 
Nathanael Morais
I used this solution to dissolve samples to half thickness, in my processing, this takes 1hour, but my samples had 50 to 60g. it work very quick, for this mass, just a few minutes may be enough. You can boost adding some drops of HCl, but do it carefully bucause the solution starts to boils vigorously.

The physical metallurgy of duplex stainless steels (DSS), which have a two phase microstructure, is discussed. In DSS, ferrite and austenite are present in approximately equal volume fractions. Its corrosion resistance is classified by calculating the PREN number. For multicomponent alloys, like the DSS, the microstructure control is essential. It...