Started 7th Jan, 2019
  • Atlantic Technological University

Does Amara's Law apply to blockchain?

Amara’s law – that we overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate its effect in the long run.
Wiill Amara's law be proven right for blockchain as it turns out we are many years away from enterprise level blockchains
#blockchain

All replies (2)

Horst Treiblmaier
MODUL University Vienna
Trevor Clohessy I would say: YES. Of course, we have to specify what "short run" and "long run" mean in this day and age. I guess it also has to do with the previous Blockchain hype. During hype times everything is "good" and in the wake of the hype suddenly it becomes "bad". I have seen the same phenomenon during the Internet hype.

-----

With the continuous development and application of blockchain technology, the academic and commercial circles are constantly exploring the research directions and practical applications of blockchains. Today, in the financial, sales, medical and other fields, the blockchain has already played its advantages. In this paper, we focus on the related r...
Preprint
We explore the origins of blockchain technologies to better understand the enduring needs they address. We identify the five key elements of a blockchain, show embodiments of these elements, and examine how these elements come together to yield important properties in selected systems. To facilitate comparing the many variations of blockchains, we...
The current UTXO-based blockchains require the validators to keep the entire ever-growing UTXO set to verify transactions, which is unsuitable for ordinary machines since they occupy a large size of RAM in the long run, resulting in network centralizations. Recently, stateless blockchain technology has been proposed which uses the accumulator to co...