Question
Asked 23rd Apr, 2015
  • Luken Loopbaan Consult

Do you know about projects to test or implement ideas or instruments from ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) in Career Development or Guidance?

In 2012 Hoare, McIlveen, and Hamilton published a plea to use concepts and techniques from ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) to Career Development or Guidance. At that moment there were strong arguments, but not yet empirical evidence. What is the situation now? Is there any research that confirms the theoretical arguments? Are there new theoretical insights? Are there projects intended to develop tools for Career Guidance based on ACT? Is anything known about evaluations and/or effects?
With my colleague Albert de Folter I developed a toolkit. It consists of tools, based on or inspired by ACT, for career guidance in schools. We are interested in developing similar tools for adults.
Hoare, P. N., McIlveen, P., & Hamilton, N. (2012). Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) as a career counselling strategy. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance, 12(3), 171–187.

Tahereh Seghatoleslam
University of Malaya
Hi  Tom
If you join the ACBS group you would be able to get a lot of papers regarding your questions
Regards
Tahereh
Tom Luken
Luken Loopbaan Consult
Thanks for your suggestion, Tahereh. I found very much valuable information and ideas on ACBS websites, but there is only little specifically about career development…
Yvonne Mitchell
Freed-Hardeman University
Hi Tom,
I have no information on ACT and career development.  However, I have an interest in ACT and integration of Faith in impacting successful outcomes of therapy and helping survivors of trauma.  In your search, if you come across anything, would you let me know?  I will do the same thing for you if I see anything related to careers! the outcomes  Thanks!!

This symposium was an attempt to outline trends in test development and interpretation over the past 10 years and to explore their applications in career counseling, career guidance, and career education. Its focus grew out of the work of the National Vocational Guidance Association (NVGA) Commission on Assessment and Testing chaired by Dale Predig...
This handbook highlights six exemplary career guidance and counseling programs identified through a nationwide search in 1996. The programs can serve as models for schools in responding to the career development needs of the growing diverse student population. The handbook is organized into four chapters. Chapter 1 provides background information a...
Chapter
In this chapter we explore career counselling and career and technical education goals, early developments in the field of career education and career development, important legislation, present status and practices, specific K-12 practices, and future prospects and challenges. The spectrum of interventions, approaches, institutions, and assessment...