Question
Asked 24th Jan, 2017

Could someone give me advice for choosing a sampling method?

My objective is to detect a disease (Downy Mildew) in sunflower production fields to check if DM is present in a batch.  I thought of using stratified sampling because pest population is agregated in some degree in the field. I considered making a subdivision: a specific number of transects (3 or 4) per hectare and doing random sampling. What do you recommend in this case?.
I have based myself on the International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures, attached here.

Thomas Gulya
Agricultural Research Service
I would defer this question to a colleague, Dr. Sam Markell.    You can email him directly at < samuel.markell@ndsu.edu >.
Also... do not forget you can email me directly at my personal email.   tjgulya@gmail.com
Lastly, do yo want to consider trying soil sampling to retrieve DM in cases where no disease is apparent ?   I can send you a paper or two I presented in Australia and then published in the 2nd Downy Mildew symposium.
Charles Block
Iowa State University
My suggestion would be to contact Dr. Paul Esker at the University of Costa Rica. Paul has a PhD in plant pathology and statistics and this question should be familiar. He is on Research Gate, but  I do not know if you can ask someone a direct question in this forum.

In the image object detection task, a huge number of candidate boxes are generated to match with a relatively very small amount of ground-truth boxes, and through this method the learning samples can be created. But in fact the vast majority of the candidate boxes do not contain valid object instances and should be recognized and rejected during th...
The article focuses on the use of international standards in the application of sanitary and phytosanitary measures. A comprehensive analysis of scientific literature allows us to conclude that the problems of European integration were studied in the works of a number of domestic scientists. In their works they reach similar conclusions that nation...