Question
Asked 8th Oct, 2013

Could anyone help me with determining the type of a psychological test?

A psychological test was carried out, but of the kind that I do not know. The test was carried out by a psychologist face to face, but there was no questionnaire.
The time required for the test was approximately 30 minutes. The following are the main contents of the test.
・Language association (for example, the subject associates a word with one vowel sound)
・Imitation of the posing (the subject imitates the movement of the psychologist's hand)
・Imitation of the rhythm (the subject imitates the hand claps of the psychologist)
・in the last part of the test the subject matches both palms with a psychologist (sense of distance is dependent on the subject )
Can anyone tell me the name of this test ? And what is the purpose of such analysis?
If there are not applicable test, please guess what is the purpose such this psychology test, analyzes for patients. This is a test that actually took place.

21st Oct, 2013
Scubby Mack
Dear Yasuko,
I'm glad that I may have been able to help you in some small way.
Thank you for your kind words.
Scub

Scubby Mack
Dear Yasuko,
The testing you allude to is most likely a test of intellectual abilities. There are tests that I favor to measure intelligence, and this type is not particularly one of them. As such, I cannot give you the definitive name of a specific test because such tests have gone through several revisions since I last used those that utilize some of the techniques you mentioned. That is not to say that these methodologies are not accurate, I just prefer other methods to measure the same areas.
Additionally, the psychologist who conducted the assessment may have only utilized specific subtests of the test in question and not the full battery of tests. The areas you mentioned are typically used to measure specific cognitive areas: 1) Language association subtests as you described are designed to measure Expressive Language and Auditory Processing skills. 2) Imitation of hand movement, repeating a tapping rhythm, and palm matching exercises measure Fine (Sensory) Motor Skills, Short-Term Visual Memory, Spatial Visualization skills, and general Executive Functioning.
If you noticed, the cognitive areas assessed by the psychologist were in two generalized areas. Some tests call these areas Verbal (VIQ) and Performance (PIQ); others call them Crystalized and Fluid Intelligence; still others call them Verbal and Non-Verbal; Sequential and Simultaneous, etc.
One test that may have subtests similar to the ones you described is the Kaufman
Assessment Battery for Children, 2nd Edition (KABC-II). However, there are others too. With more specific information we may be able to find the specific instrument used.
I hope this information is of use to you.
Yasuko Kishi
Dear Scubby Mack
Thank you for valuable comment. I could understand your description so well. And, against my explanation, you had appropriate insight. So thanks. Please, allow to become situation expression from third party viewpoint.
A result of inspection (score) was not told to the subject (patient ). However, psychologist said to a subject in this way when the inspection was over.
" I will give a test similar to this for a while."
And he went out of the interview room.
However afterwards , the subject appealed to chief physician, please to stop the instructions of the psychological test soon.
By the way, before this test against this patient, Wechsler test (adult business), and Baum test, and the test of the native language were carried out, too.
I was able to grasp by your explanation, what was the purposes of tested.
" Kaufman " and " KABC-Ⅱ"
I will more study about these. Thanks.
Sincerely.
Yasuko
Scubby Mack
Dear Yasuko,
Thank you for the additional information. There are many differing tests that can measure essentially the same thing, but from different perspectives. Often a psychologist will use a full battery assessment instrument such as the Wechsler Scales and, if some portions of the test do not produce expected results, other tests are administered to reassess those areas in a slightly different format. This is used sort of like ‘double checking’ the results. Language, of course, plays a prominent role in testing. Responses will be inaccurate if the Subject does not fully understand the question, etc. The types of tests you mentioned previously may be a ‘double check’ of the prior results for verification, or they may have been administered to better understand the Subject’s ability to ‘process’ auditory and visual information.
You did not mention ‘academic’ tests. Tests that measure academic skills are usually administered along with the tests you discussed. The academic scores are then compared to the cognitive scores in order to determine if the subject is achieving to the level of their potential. The processing tests are administered to determine if a deficiency exists that may be inhibiting the Subject from learning up to his or her level of measured ability.
The Baum test you mentioned is usually part of a full battery assessment as well. It is a ‘projective’ test that can give a general view of the Subject’s emotional state, degree of concern, attention to detail, general attitude, etc., and allows comparison of motor skills with other scales.
Certainly the psychologist you are concerned with appears to have been attempting to conduct a thorough assessment. However, such assessments can be very time intensive and tiring (This can also be part of the overall assessment observation). You did not mention why the assessment was being conducted. Usually such evaluations are conducted in order to answer a ‘question’. The question arises from some sort of perceived difficulty that the subject is displaying. Usually, the battery of psychological tests is selected in an attempt to answer the problem addressed in the research question.
Again, I hope this explanation may be beneficial to you.
Scub
Yasuko Kishi
Dear Scubby Mack
Your description about psychology tests becomes the good main point, on carrying out.
For me, this is so beneficial learning. I thank you.
I can not write the details for personal information secrets, but surely a psychologist needed the explanation of the need of the psychology test to a patient. The patients could ask the psychologist a question, but the psychologist should do. And, I guess that the process of this test might been a research of the subjects. I could understand this.
I will research about Kaufman detail afterward.
Thanks you.
Sincerely.
Yasuko
21st Oct, 2013
Scubby Mack
Dear Yasuko,
Thank you for your kind words.
Scub

Kanellakis, P. (2004) Guest Editorial: Introduction to the Special Edition. Special Edition on Counselling Psychology and Psychological Testing. Counselling Psychology Review, 19 (4), pp. 4-5
In this article, challenges met in living and lecturing as a Fulbright scholar in the Soviet Republic of Estonia are described Requested topics for lectures included counseling techniques, psychological testing, and career development. Insights gained about important influences in Soviet psychology are described. Also reported are certain current c...