Question
Asked 14th Oct, 2013
  • The Animal Wellness Institute

Could anyone recommend references on scientist-animal intersubjectivity?

I am exploring the intersubjective experience of researchers focused on human-animal and animal-focused topics. Outside of Sanders, Churchill, and Dutton I haven't come across any in this new topic, therefore any additional citations would be appreciated.

23rd Oct, 2013
Angeline Siegel
The Animal Wellness Institute
Thanks Lynda! I've read most of your published work and have found it very helpful on this topic. Yes, I am referring to researchers using/studying animals and am pretty well versed on the anthrozoological perspective and gaining a better understanding of the sociological framework. I've examined the literature from gender studies, animal studies, medicine, sentience, ethology and psychology, and was surprised that there really isn't a lot of research on the topic. Nor have I come across any applications to assist in mediating the scientist-animal relationship to foster greater appreciation for the animal (outside of enrichment & welfare). I'm hoping that the results of my study will provide the ground work for such an application that can be delivered to academic and medical professionals.
On a side note, can I ask what topics are you currently exploring?

21st Oct, 2013
Nino Pierantonio
Tethys Research Institute
Hello Angeline, I do not know that much about the subject but recently i came across the following paper that might be of interest to you:
Jerolmack, C. Humans, Animals, and Play: Theorizing Interaction When Intersubjectivity is Problematic*. Sociological Theory 27, 371–389 (2009).
Furthermore, there is a full special issue of the Qualitative Sociology Review Journal from 2007 titled 'Animals and People' that deals with the subject as well. You can download it at the following address: http://www.qualitativesociologyreview.org/ENG/volume6.php
Hope this will help,
Nino
21st Oct, 2013
Angeline Siegel
The Animal Wellness Institute
Thank Nino for the sociology direction and journal review. The journal looks like it might help support some of the other evidence I've collected. Thanks!
23rd Oct, 2013
Lynda Birke
University of Chester
I assume you are talking about researchers using/studying animals. Although it's a bit old now, you should look for "The Inevitable Bond: Examining Scientist-Animal Interactions", pub 1992 by Cambridge and edited by Davis and Balfour. But there is now a large literature on human-animal studies, with specialist journals, which you should seek out.
23rd Oct, 2013
Angeline Siegel
The Animal Wellness Institute