Question
Asked 14th Apr, 2015

Can anyone suggest where I could find research which looks at context-dependent memory and flashbulb/autobiographical memories?

I am writing a piece of coursework whereby I am exploring my own personal flashbulb memory and situations whereby I have returned to the area and experienced similar feelings of the situation and also imagery of the situation. I am exploring if flashbulb memories are related in any way to the context that you were in. The rest of the essay explores how flashbulb memories differ in their accuracy of recall depending on whether the event was negative or positive, in my situation this particular event of discussion was negative.
Thanks in advance!

Daniel Wright
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Elizabeth Kensinger (on researchgate) has many excellent relevant papers on emotion and memory. An early example is
Because of Brown and Kulik's choice of stimuli, what got called flashbulb memories in the literature tended to be negative. A couple like the Red Sox paper or Thatcher's resignation was positive for some (I'll attach a paper of mine Thatcher, but Kensinger's work more directly addresses your question. I think one of the problems in flashbulb memory research is defining what one means by flashbulb memories.
3rd Jun, 2015
Diogo Pereira Henriques
Aarhus University
Hi Clara,
From a neuroscience point of view, please check this talk by Neil Burgess, particularly the last part addressing autobiographical memory: 'How your brain tells you where you are.'
On the other hand, smart phones (and other devices) are transforming our memories and surrounding environment, which has been my subject of study: see for example 'Space time information on display...' and 'Exploring space time...'
Best regards,
Diogo

The present research aims to explore whether recalling and writing about autobiographical memory from different perspectives (first-person perspective vs. third-person perspective) could affect cognitive function. The participants first performed a working memory task to evaluate their working memory capacity as a baseline and then were instructed...
This comparative study (i.e., three age groups, three measures) explores the distribution of retrospective and prospective autobiographical memory data across the lifespan, in particular the bump pattern of disproportionally higher recall of memories from the ages 10 to 30, as generally observed in older age groups, in conjunction with the well-kno...
Fifty-seven undergraduate college students who had lost a family member, a close friend or a life partner/spouse in the last 1 to 5 years completed online the Inventory of Complicated Grief-Revised (Prigerson et al., 1995), the Attitude and Belief Scale (Romanian version - Macavei, 2002), the Grief Cognitions Questionnaire (Boelen & Lensvelt-Mulder...