Question
Asked 4th Aug, 2017

Can I capture one's social identity orientation in a qualitative study?

I am doing an ethnographic study in a hospital. The goal is to understand the evolution of collaboration dynamics. I observe that different doctors behave differently, have different beliefs and react in different ways to others' actions and opinions (like we all know). I am interested in the concepts of Social Identity Theory. Can I observe/explore/analyse identity using a qualitative study without using the usual likert scale questionnaires? Thanks.

August Ernst Pattiselanno
Pattimura University
I think that is a good breakthrough for your research topic. I guarantee you will get the data in line with expectations, especially that the data can be accounted for validity and reliability through various triangulation strategies such as multi methods (how to get information and crosscheck). There is nothing wrong with your mind, just more quantitative choices in the academic world so sometimes we feel different when using a qualitative approach. Keep holding on to the qualitative methodology reference, that something does not exist until the end of the new research we know it exists or not. Thankyou

Dennis Mazur
Oregon Health and Science University
Please let me know if the following references/sites are helpful to you:
1.  Multicultural identity integration and well-being: a qualitative ...
2.  A Qualitative Approach to Intergroup Relations: Exploring the ...
Dennis
Dennis Mazur
Florentina Scârneci-Domnișoru
Universitatea Transilvania Brasov
Of course you can. Everything you described there sounds just fine. Maybe you must be more opened regarding your theory. Maybe you will discover that another identity theory will be of much help. In qualitative research we use theory loosely at the beginning of our studies.
If you have to use social identity theory: in analyzing your qualitative data see if it applies in your research context, if it could be modified, complete etc. Many of your rich data will be lost if you use exclusively the a priori categories your theory provides. It is not making any sense to collect rich data if you don't need it.
Adewale Ajayi
The Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro
Although my usual bias is for qualitative study and I believe it can be used in this case, I think a quantitative study is needed and the issues to be interrogated qualitatively can be brought in to enrich the data analysis. Also given field bias and the location of your research, wider acceptability can be gained with a quantitative study.

OBJECTIVE To understand the nursing professionals' conceptions of teamwork and their elements. METHOD A qualitative study conducted in an oncological hospital using a semi-structured interview with 21 nursing professionals. RESULTS Two conceptions emerged from the accounts: teamwork restricted to nursing professionals and teamwork with interprofe...