Question
Asked 9th Mar, 2016

Can you help me out about tools and techniques and its importance in guidance and counseling?

I'm kinda bombarded in my work and then after work i have still my class in graduate school, that is why i'm basically drowning and kinda thinking of giving up my schooling...
I really need a help for my subjects about counseling theories, tools and techniques. group process and guidance for exceptional children.
thank you so much and God Bless!! 

Deleted profile
Maro,
I have several friends studying counseling currently and set to graduate this July (they, like me, earned their Undergraduate degrees in Psychology and are in the Marriage and Family Therapy program). They may be able to help you. I will send you their contact information in a private message.
Lisa Wascher
Vanderbilt University
I'm not sure what you are asking? When you say subjects, are you referring to people in your research studies? Are they needing counseling? There are too many theories, techniques and tools to summarize here. The main therapy modality for people that are needing traditional counseling I would explore first would be Cognitive Behavioral Techniques (CBT). Anyone can look up books by Albert Ellis or David Burns and learn about practical and effective coping strategies for life. If the person is dealing with addiction of any type or perhaps a personality disorder, Dialetical Behavior Therapy (DBT) by Shapiro is effective for more serious regulation of impulsivity and character issues. I am answering this as though you need help for people you encounter in your research. There is a plethora of information on youtube demonstrating mindfulness, stress management, and relaxation techniques. Combining the best of CBT and mindfulness techniques, along with other concepts and research backed outcomes, Acceptance Committment Therapy (ACT) is an excellent choice of modality for anyone, as well. Your subjects would need to find a therapist doing these types of therapy or begin to read and research them for themselves. There are even apps now available on cell phones that teach most of the basic techniques for combatting anxiety and depression with coping skills, relaxation and mindfulness activities. The above should be a start in getting someone on the road to better mental health. Feel free to ask any specific questions, if needed. I'm not sure my answer was helpful.
Ella Mizzi
Hello Maro,
I have found http://counsellingtutor.com/ very helpful. Rory Lees-Oakes from CounsellingTutor has loads of videos on YouTube to help you with tools and techniques; here is the link to the videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/CounsellingResource/videos
Hang in there! :) Sending you blessings!

Anyone have experience with the transferability of principles of the therapeutic milieu in current health services?
Question
  • Susan CroomSusan Croom
The therapeutic milieu has been central to residential child and adolescent mental health and other areas of mental health. The milieu facilitates the growth of healing and resilience by providing a nurturing environment in which clients can trust that they will be kept safe whilst they explore/work on both their strengths and needs until they feel confident enough to engage in coping with their issues and the challenges of everyday life experiences. Putting trust in others when feeling vulnerable is tough and can create difficult dynamics for staff, clients carers and impact on other extant systems with whom they interact. Staff need education and support to consistently work with clients and to use every moment to moment as an opportunity to tune into their client and offer the relevant balance of nurture and challenge to promote trust, a sense of autonomy, a sense of competence, a positive identity and the confidence to engage in relationships and cope with everyday challenges within their lived experiences. The aim of compassionate, client centred care , which is supported by wider systems in the creation of an safe, respectful, healing environment appears to resonates with current health care aims , highlighted for example in the UK by the Berwick report, the Francis report. Furthermore, to be successful, the therapeutic milieu has to work as a subsystem and liaise and collaborate with all other systems ( from family to community, education, housing social services) with whom the client/family interacts.
Given the wealth of research on the therapeutic milieu, to what extent do others feel/have experience in the transferability of the principles of therapeutic milieu research and literature to general wards e.g. wards caring for elderly vulnerable patients? Also, to what extent can the whole system approach of an effective milieu, (which responds to the interdependence of individual systems, family systems and wider community systems) be transferred to the current model of health as a complex, whole systems approach in which client and families require the support of a 'virtual' 24 hour life milieu in which the strengths and needs of each client at an individual, family and community level can be negotiated with the client, matched with a package of feasible health and social care ? Residential therapeutic care has been reduced globally in mental health because it is expensive . The creation of a virtual therapeutic milieu is a tough road. In your experience, is it/could it be therapeutically and cost effective?