Question
Asked 4th Nov, 2018

Can you combine two theories to build a conceptual framework or just use 2 theories ?

Literature Review

Arunaditya Sahay
Birla Institute of Management Technology
It is not only about basing your research on certain theory/Theories. More important is how are you extending/contributing to that theory/Theories

Popular answers (1)

Arunaditya Sahay
Aslam
Yes, this article will show the path to Christopher. However, the article puts a restraint thet the dependent variable should be one and that the theories have to be overlapping. I would go wider. Even if the theories are not overlapping but address my independent variables, I may combine them to make my conceptual model for research.

Christopher Bush
Walden University
Thanks Micheal...this is helpful. With my research I am looking at to theories Policy Feedback Theory And the Diffusion of Innovation Theory in respect to communication that engages community.
Arunaditya Sahay
Yes, you can combine to or more theories to work out a conceptual framework.
Christopher Bush
Walden University
Thanks Arunaditya
Arunaditya Sahay
Christopher
What is your research question? Have you tried to create a conceptual framework for your research combining theory?
Muhammad Zia Aslam
Superior University
I agree with respected Michael Neubert and Arunaditya Sahay and recommend reading this reference for deeper understanding of theory integration. Regards
Mayer, K. J., & Sparrowe, R. T. (2013). From the editors—Integrating theories in AMJ articles. Academy of management journal, 56(4), 917-922. doi:10.5465/amj.2013.4004
Arunaditya Sahay
Aslam
Christopher Bush
Walden University
Thanks Arunaditya,
I will look at those resources...My research question(s)
The central research question: How does the lack of a requirement to immediately release the video to the family member contribute to your distrust of the police?
Sub questions to research the question:
1. What do community members believe justifies the delay of video from body worn camera’s?
2. What can policymakers do to improve communication and transparency in your community?
Mulugeta Girma Dibiku
Dire Dawa University
yes you can!! i think you can see the case of the big five personality factor with brand personality model of Aaker (1997). davice, etal..( 2004) model of corporate reputation scale and many more can be mentioned.
Arunaditya Sahay
To research your question - How does the lack of a requirement to immediately release the video to the family member contribute to your distrust of the police?
What theories are you considering to make the concepttual model?
Hussam Ali Mohammed
Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University
Good question.. Please share me the best answer might you get...
More theories are better so that your concepts do not miss the operational definitions of every concept you use in building up the conceptual framework. Operational definition gaps can also be identified when you combine as many theories as possible.
Halimah Mohamed ali
Universiti Sains Malaysia
Yes, you can combine two theories to build a theoretical framework. However the theories must complement each other and have to be able to support your textual analysis.
Christopher Bush
Walden University
Thanks, I have completed my defense and have combined two theories using the policy feedback theory and diffusion of innovation theory (communication standpoint)...createda module showing communicaiton use these to can address communication, engaging folks from the community-discussing policies, etc overtime...
Gayatri Saini
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
Yes you can. But make sure they are inter related to each other.
Arunaditya Sahay
You can surely combine 2 r more theories but they should be relevant to answer your research question or at least provide the underpinning for the research.
Sisay Yemata
Tikur Anbessa Hospital
yes, you can but make sure that those theories help to answer your research question and have related concepts.
Arunaditya Sahay

C. Urquhart, H. Lehmann and M. Myers. Putting the theory back into grounded theory: guidelines for grounded theory studies in information systems. Information systems journal, 2009. Published by and copyright Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. The definitive version of this article is available from http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/ Over the past decade,...
Chapter
The conceptual framework in Chapter 4 provides a basic introduction of the relevant concepts explaining the field of entrepreneurial processes. In our case studies we applied this framework, specifically to investigate the dynamics of starting a venture. By using the case study approach we aimed to learn more about these dynamics. Entrepreneurs and...
It is proposed that congruence and contingency are central features of Dubin's conditions for constructing and testing a theoretical model. Placing congruence and contingency research within an accepted framework for scientific inquiry is essential to understanding and predicting organizational phenomena. After reviewing select research, the presen...