Question
Asked 15th Jan, 2015

Can anyone suggest any definitive texts on burnout in teachers?

I guess it's all in the title really...
I'm currently lookin in detail at Fried by Borysenko, and Understanding and PReventing Teacher Burnout by Vandenberghe and Huberman. I feel I should include some of Maslach's work and some of Freudenberger as the "masters" of the field, but they've both published lots and I'm trying to isolate key texts.

Suhasini Gazula
Auckland University of Technology
Check out this publication and also the references of this. It helps to get the key texts on Burnout of Teachers
Revisiting First-Year Teacher Burnout: New South Carolina Educators in the Era of Accountability 
by Ilagan, Daniel J
ProQuest LLC, 2010, ISBN 1124384162,
Thesis
:

M. Laura Angelini
Catholic University of Valencia "San Vicente Martir"
Hi Oli,
Recently in 2014, Brown published on the matter:
Brown, C. M. (2014). The impact of burnout on teachers' perceived efficacy within the middle school setting (Doctoral dissertation, CAPELLA UNIVERSITY).
ISO 690.
Also, but in Spanish, Velázquez et.al in 2014 published the results of an empirical study:
Velázquez, R. A., García, C. R., Díaz, J. S., Adrián, J., Rodríguez, O., & Ávila, S. M. (2014). ESTRÉS Y BURNOUT EN DOCENTES DE EDUCACIÓN MEDIA SUPERIOR. Revista Electrónica Medicina, Salud y Sociedad, 4(2).
ISO 690
I send you the HTML version of the latter,
Hope it helps,
Laura
Mohsen Hojat
Jahrom University of Medical Sciences
hi
in persien we have many text about it
but i find 1 article about sport teachres
Mohsen Hojat
Jahrom University of Medical Sciences
"فرسودگی معلمان"
this is a key word that you search there are many file and articles in google scholar
Oli Howson
The Open University (UK)
Thank you. I've translated the one you sent me (my Spanish is about as good as my Mongolian), The other I'm hunting for - I'm sure my Uni gives me access to where it is but it's just giving me the sample.
Oli Howson
The Open University (UK)
Thank you Mohsen. There are many texts about it in English as well (Google translator couldn't handle Persian unfortunately), but I am looking specifically for texts which are considered core or definitive.
thanks
Deleted profile
Any use?
Suhasini Gazula
Auckland University of Technology
Burnout for Experts
Prevention in the Context of Living and Working
Editors:
Sabine Bährer-Kohler
ISBN: 978-1-4614-4390-2 (Print) 978-1-4614-4391-9 (Online)
There are many articles on the topic.
Kevin Stoda
Kansas City Public Schools
This is an aside.
I suggest all teachers who have an opportunity to go and work in another country, such as through the JET Programme in Japan, so that you could come back with insight and refreshed after immersing yourself in a team-teaching situation in another country for a year or two.
Seeing your own land through the eyes of other cultures is motivating, but even better is spending a year or so constantly comparing and contrasting the lives of others is an even deeper way to come back renewed, inspired and even changed.
22nd Jan, 2015
Laura Love
University of St. Thomas
What Keeps Teachers Going? by Sonia Nieto (2003)
22nd Jan, 2015
Daniel Rehfeldt
Freie Universität Berlin
Schaarschmidt has done lots of those, e.g.:  http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00420-005-0050-y#page-1
Best Regards
22nd Jan, 2015
Nandini Borah
Assam Royal Global University
Burnout: Testing for the validity, replication, and invariance of causal structure across elementary, intermediate, and secondary teachers and The Maslach Burnout Inventory: Testing for factorial validity and invariance across elementary, intermediate and secondary teachers by BM Byrne.
these papers might be of some use
Debbra O'Hara
Liberty University
Talmor, Rachel, Reiter, Shunit, Feigin, Neomi. (2005). Factors relating to regular education teacher burnout in inclusive education. European Journal of Special Needs Education, 20(2), 215.
Peter A. T. Farrell
Zeerust Primary School, Australia, 3634
I don't know the people you cite, its not my area. Check this link for more general sources:
Peter
Kevin Stoda
Kansas City Public Schools
There are naturally loads of information in Google Scholar--but I note that they are mostly 15 to 25 years old.  For example, 
The nomological network of teacher burnout: A literature review and empirically validated model.
BM Byrne - 1999 - psycnet.apa.org
Abstract 1. Despite much empirical research linking the construct of teacher burnout to other
variables for various professional groups, findings have not been summarized into one
conceptual framework that can be replicated and tested statistically.
[PDF] from researchgate.net
Dimensions of teacher self-efficacy and relations with strain factors, perceived collective teacher efficacy, and teacher burnout.
EM Skaalvik, S Skaalvik - Journal of Educational Psychology, 2007 - psycnet.apa.org
Abstract 1. In this study, the authors developed and factor analyzed the Norwegian Teacher
Self-Efficacy Scale. They also examined relations among teacher self-efficacy, perceived
collective teacher efficacy, external control (teachers' general beliefs about limitations to ...
[HTML] from fu-berlin.de
Predicting teacher burnout over time: Effects of work stress, social support, and self-doubts on burnout and its consequences
RJ Burke, ER Greenglass… - Anxiety, Stress, and …, 1996 - Taylor & Francis
Abstract This longitudinal study examined antecedents and consequences of psychological
burnout among 362 teachers and school administrators. Antecedents included red tape,
disruptive students and lack of supervisor support. Consequences of burnout included ...
High and low-burnout schools: School culture aspects of teacher burnout
IA Friedman - The Journal of Educational Research, 1991 - Taylor & Francis
Abstract The aim of this study was to identify school factors associated with teacher burnout.
For that purpose, the organizational characteristics of those schools in which most teachers
reported high levels of burnout (high-burnout schools) and schools in which most teachers ...
By definitive article, are we referring to which dimensions exactly? in types of schools, in fields, in age groups? in countries or regions?
Terri S. Wilson
University of Colorado Boulder
I would recommend the work of my colleague, Doris Santoro, who argues that we should question the language of 'burnout,' and instead explore the "demoralization" of teachers. See examples of her work here: "Teaching’s Conscientious Objectors: Principled Leavers of High-Poverty Schools" Teachers College Record (2011) and "Good Teaching in Difficult Times: Demoralization in the Pursuit of Good Work," American Journal of Education (2011). Hope this helps!

Recent neoliberal policies and societal trends point toward new and perennial tensions for nation-state education, including curriculum/Didaktik and leadership thereof. These challenges affect governance/leadership and curriculum with changes in aims and values together in ways that demand coherence, yet the traditionally disparate fields of educat...
When Galileo turned his telescope towards the moon, he saw something altogether new. For thousands of years, men and women had wondered about the moon: Suddenly, it was revealed as a world with mountains and craters, not unlike our own world. It was a revolutionary discovery, even more significant because the ancient Greeks and Romans, whose civili...
THE RESULTS OF 17 STUDIES ON READING READINESS ARE SUMMARIZED AND INTERPRETED. ALL BUT ONE OF THE STUDIES WERE COMPLETED SINCE 1957. READING READINESS IS DEFINED, AND THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TRADITIONAL AND CURRENT THEORY ARE DISCUSSED. STUDIES OF FORMAL READING READINESS INSTRUCTION IN KINDERGARTEN ARE DESCRIBED. CONCLUSIONS ABOUT KINDS OF READING...