Question
Asked 30th Jan, 2018
  • Cell-Logic Pty Ltd

Can anyone comment on the likely validity of the Oligoscan device being used by Australian clinicians to test heavy metals via the skin?

Oligoscan www.oligoscan.net.au is being widely used by Australian and NZ complementary Medicine clinicians as a way to detect heavy metal levels in their patients. The device claims to have been internally validated. It’s customers seem to accept that this is enough. Can someone with experience in spectrophotomeyour comment on the likelihood that holding this device on the hand is capable of detecting heavy metal levels for clinical purposes?

Jon Gamble
Macquarie University
Are you still interested in doing a validation study, Tim?

Mike Fitzpatrick
Mike Fitzpatrick Consulting Ltd
We are all on the same page. I am in the last throes of developing a hand-held device to measure Vitamin C in blood (finger prick) and there are very clearly defined processes (such as CE marking) that ensure such devices work as they say they do and, subsequently, protect the consumer. In my opinion any device worth it's salt should be CE-marked, or similar, otherwise I would run a mile from it.
External validation in just one of several key components of CE-marking and, sadly, the Oligoscan appears to fall short. I say sadly because I think it would be pretty cool to have such a device that worked. On the issue of sensitivity, I think even very low concentrations could be detected spectrometrically, but it couldn't be based solely on emission; it would require fluorescence techniques etc. And specificity isn't much of an issue at all because (a) there are multiple bands for each element and (b) even though some bands may appear close to each other modern detectors can distinguish them. Accuracy in most all hand-held analytical devices is +/- 10-15% minimum, which is indeed lower than the variability seen in individuals. It's not at all uncommon to see people with orders of magnitude differences in post-provocation urine metal concentrations.

Mike Fitzpatrick
Mike Fitzpatrick Consulting Ltd
Chemical elements have characteristic emission spectra, i.e., they emit unique wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light. This is the basis of emission spectroscopy, whereby it is possible to determine the chemical composition of a material by examining its emission spectra. One such use of this technique is how scientists can figure out the chemical composition of stars.
This Oligoscan device appears to 'work' by making measurements of light emitted from the skin. The problem I have here is one that's common in analytical chemistry; an analytical result is only as good as the sample tested. In this case I don't know how sample (in the Oligoscan video it's a person's hand) integrity is assured because chemical elements on the skin's surface can be from numerous sources, not just from bodily excretion. And it's not like you can wash your hands first, because that would wash away any elements that were excreted also.
I would like to see some validation data for this device, which I consider the manufacturers are obligated to provide. Something like blood data compared with the Oligoscan results would be helpful.
C.A. (Kees) Kan
None
For some toxic elements that are stored in certain tissues like Cd in kidney or Pb in bone, it is unlikely to me that blood levels will tell the whole story.
So extensive validation is on the one hand essential and on the other hand probably very hard to perform.
Furkan Alaraji
University Of Kufa
I agree with Dr. Kan
Mike Fitzpatrick
Mike Fitzpatrick Consulting Ltd
Sure Kees, although I don't think the manufacturer of the device was claiming it gives an indication of metals in stores or the total body burden, rather that which is in circulation and potentially readily removed. In this regard blood data is clearly helpful, not that I consider the results would bear much resemblance to those obtained by the device.
Christine Houghton
Cell-Logic Pty Ltd
Thank you to all those who have responded to my query. What concerns me is that the manufacturer of this device has no external validation but claims that the device is validated internally. I would be more convinced if a proper trial were to be conducted and published through the peer-review process.
C.A. (Kees) Kan
None
The validation of any analytical method comprises at least the following elements: sensitivity, specificity and accuracy
The sensitivity of measuring on or trough the skin might be sufficient for macro-elements, but I very much doubt that micro-elements can be detected.
I am always worried about specificity of any (simple) spectrofotometric method as spectra might/will be overlapping, especially when no special marker/enhancer is used.
Accuracy might be the least of our worries as the natural variation between individuals is probably quite large and thus larger than the inherent variability of the analytical method.
So, all in all, I am not really optimistic about the value of this device.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Mike Fitzpatrick Consulting Ltd
3rd Sep, 2018
Alejandro García
Universidad Santo Tomás
Are there scientific publications of the product?
Lawrence Retief
I'm being told that this device now has a CE mark (Class IIA medical device). Would this change any of your previous view points?
C.A. (Kees) Kan
None
I still would like to be able to read the validation report myself. Otherwise I would remain very cautious about the system.
Tim M. Sharpe
University of Western States
External validation of this method would be simple to perform as it appears to, in the case of heavy metals, be a non-invasive proxy for whole blood testing (most commonly arsenic, lead, and mercury). I could probably design, conduct, and submit for publication such a validation study in under six months at extremely low cost. The fact that no such validation exists after this long is a large waving red flag. Currently there is no reason to expect meaningful results from this test. I would implore anyone considering such a device to demand validation first.

-----
How would you deal with expert referees/reviewers that send unprofessional reviews?
17 replies
  • Alejandro BortolusAlejandro Bortolus
Despite the explicit indications in the "Instructions for Referees/Reviewers" provided by most scientific journals, it seems that rude unprofessional answers from anonymous reviewers are more common than we wish they were. Researchers recently reported that more than half of the authors submitting scientific manuscripts to international journals receive one or more unfair unprofessional reviews. Any Editor knows that unprofessional reviews should be dismissed and the reviewer should be warned about his/her misconduct. Some Editors may even remove the unprofessional reviewers from the list of experts from which they chose reviewers. However, we all know that recruiting reviewers (a voluntary time-consuming, and mostly unrewarded job) is increasingly hard, and Editors often need to invite many experts before one accepts to review, and so Editors seem to be more and more permissive and flexible with reviewers' reports. Within this context, my question is: How would you deal with expert reviewers that send unprofessional reviews? Is there any novel (or more effective than the usual) way to discourage reviewers from sending unfair reports without discouraging experts from accepting editorial invitations to review manuscripts?
These examples should give you a good idea of what unprofessional reviews can include (while reading them, please have in mind that the "authors" are colleagues with proven expertise in their fields):
“The first author is a woman. She should be in the kitchen, not writing papers.”
“The author’s last name sounds Spanish. I didn’t read the manuscript because I’m sure it is full of bad English.”
“Obviously, the authors have no idea what they are talking about”
“…. authors should not be doing science at all.”
“… I don´t care how many papers the authors have published, it is clear to me they are unfit to do good science”
““What the authors have done is an insult to science"
“You should look closely at a career outside of science.”
"[X] tried this in the 1990s and failed and he was more creative than you".
For more details, please read these articles:

There seem to be some immediate problems in applying research techniques to complementary medicine which has led to propositions that these methods are abandoned. However, arguments used in critiques of conventional research are unsound. Conventional research has been applied to complementary medicine and has provided information of value to patien...
Objective This study aims to examine the structure of communication about complementary medicine (CM) between patients with cancer and clinicians during oncology consultations. Methods Previously, consultations between 29 clinicians and 80 patients with advanced cancer were recorded in six hospitals in the Netherlands. The present study considers...