Question
Asked 1st Jul, 2019
  • Government Yoga and Naturopathy Medical College & Hospital

Autophagy: After how many days of fasting does autophagy usually start?

Hi,
Could you please help me to explore after how many days of fasting does autophagy actually start in (1) Humans (2) Animal models and/or (3) cell lines, please?
Thank you in advance

Venugopal Vijayakumar
Government Yoga and Naturopathy Medical College & Hospital
Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs

2nd Jul, 2019
Suraiya Saleem
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Hi,
I have worked with the PC12 neuronal cell line in which I studied autophagy. It was observed that upon treatment, in about 24 to 48 hrs there were occurrence of autophagic vacuoles in the cells followed by autophagic death. but at the molecular level autophagic genes began to express as early as 8hrs post insult.
Animal models and humans will definitely have a different time line of events.
All the best.

2nd Jul, 2019
Suraiya Saleem
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Hi,
All the best.
2nd Jul, 2019
Venugopal Vijayakumar
Suraiya Saleem That’s great...! Thank you so much.
Looking forward to know the experts inputs in humans & animal models...
3rd Jul, 2019
Rabeah Al-Temaimi
Kuwait University
I worked on primary dog dorsal root ganglia and fibroblast cultures. We assessed Mitophagy and autophagy after 20 and 24 hours in starvation media with organelle specific dyes and we noted mitophagy but not autophagy. So I guess you would need either specific early autophagy marker and test for it in fixed cells after different interval incubation to ascertain the start of autophagy. I would think it would be cell type dependent too. Alternatively if you want to keep cell alive for live-cell imaging I suggest you use lysotracker dye to visualize autophagic vacuoles in real-time.
Nilay Nandi
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Venugopal Vijayakumar In Drosophila melanogaster starvation independent basal autophagy can be visualised in larval fat bodies 90-96 h after egg laying. To examine starvation dependent autophagy, 90-92 h old larvae is further starved in 20% sucrose solution for 4 h and starvation dependent autophagy is analysed in larval fat body.

This special edition of the Biomedical Journal honors the awarding of the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine to Yoshinori Ohsumi for his pioneering work on elucidating the mechanisms of autophagy. We also highlight a study reporting a new and simple animal model for a widespread surgical technique called interbody spinal fusion. Finally, t...
IntroductionConnecting TSC1–TSC2 to the Insulin/PI3K Signaling PathwayThe Tsc1–Tsc2 Complex as a Negative Regulator of TORC1Identification of the Small GTPase Rheb as a Direct Target of the Tsc1–Tsc2 ComplexControl of Autophagy by the Tsc–Rheb–TORC1 PathwayCross Talk Between the Tsc–Rheb–TORC1 Pathway and the Insulin PathwayRelationship Between Tsc...