Question
Asked 27th May, 2016
  • Department of Environment and Natural Resources

Are there any studies where Citronella essential oil or any kind of essential oil application on pathogen inoculated seedlings caused leaf scorching?

Do essential oils cause leaf scorching on leaves of the plants? Or do they have certain mechanisms of somehow "burning" or causing scorch when applied on the leaves? Thank you!!! 

Rebekah Ruth Bitana Gańa
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Thank you so much for that informative answer Sir Chakraborty! 

Popular answers (1)

Dipjyoti Chakraborty
Banasthali University
While many secondary metabolites are found in cytosol or in plant tissue matrix, essential oils are generally present in specialised sturctures like the glandular trichomes - peltate glands, capitate glands.
As such, it is very likely that essential oils at certain concentrations should have cytotoxic activity - afterall you want them to be bioactive - defence compounds. They do inhibit HeLa cells -
Eucalyptus oil does show leaf scorching and stunted gowth at high conc.
I hope you will find some more references - try to find research where essential oils is used to control plant pathogens  - you will get some plant effect data also.

B.R. Rajeswara Rao
Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
Many years ago when I was working with essential oil yielding crops, out of curiosity I placed small drops of essential oils on the leaves of the crops from which the essential oils were distilled. I did observe spot scorching of leaves including in citronella. I did not however pursue this line of research.
Rebekah Ruth Bitana Gańa
Oh! I see. Thank you very much for your Response Sir, Rao! Sadly, I haven't found any article about this topic. 
Dipjyoti Chakraborty
Banasthali University
Rebekah Ruth Bitana Gańa

Cover title. Thesis (Ph. D.)--California Institute of Technology, 1946. Includes bibliographical references (leaves [162]-164).
Light modulates almost every aspect of plant physiology, including plant-pathogen interactions. Among these, the hypersensitive response (HR) of plants to pathogens is characterized by a rapid and localized programmed cell death (PCD), which is critical to restrict the spread of pathogens from the infection site. The aim of this work was to study t...
The sustainability of "dehesas" is threatened by the Holm oak decline. It is thought that the effects of root rot on plant physiology vary depending on external stress factors. Plant growth and biomass allocation are useful tools to characterize differences in the response to drought and infection. The study of physiological responses together with...